Windows 10 advantages

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date

rcgldr

Homework Helper
One disadvantage of Windows 10 affects older cd protected based games that use Safedisc or Securom via a special driver called secdrv.sys. Windows 10 deleted this driver, considering it a security risk. Windows 7/8 by default disables secdrv.sys, but it can be enabled on those systems. Some people are dual booting between Win 7 / Win 10 to deal with issues like this, but this requires purchasing Win 10 ( as opposed to upgrading from Win 7/8) and installing on a separate partition, on perhaps a second hard drive.

mathman

Science Advisor
Windows explorer:

Windows 7 - user can modify details
Windows 10 - user cannot modify details? (if modify possible - how?)

rbelli1

Gold Member
(if modify possible - how?)
Right click on any of the column headers. Select the columns you want. Press More... for well more.

BoB

OCR

Right click on any of the column headers. Select the columns you want. Press More... for well more.

BoB
Should look something like these two grabs... or is this what you mean, BoB ?

Add colums.JPG

Add colums(1).JPG

mathman

Science Advisor

BoB
It works. Why did they make it so obscure in Windows 10? How did you know what to do?

rbelli1

Gold Member
It is also in View->Add Columns.

It is common to right click on something when you want more stuff related to what you are right clicking on. Try it all over all of your apps. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

BoB

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

BoB
It works. Why did they make it so obscure in Windows 10? How did you know what to do?
That ribbon appearance throws some heads around. Open File Explorer; Open the View tab; go to the Current View section of this tab; click on Add Columns...; a menu opens; click on Choose Columns. There you have what to make the selections what categories you want to display.

I tend to stick with old windows (when I use it, eg iphone support in linux is problematic.) I don't play games so that's not an issue,Linux: plenty of good printer support, seldom videos are a problem. Great graphics, office etc programs in Linux. Never had a problem with viruses. I think I got nuked once or twice but as I don't use root or accept any changes, all problems are simply solved with a reboot. (I use Zorin atm, a ubuntu derivative). I hung on to win3.1 till w95 got to win95c then waited and switched to win98se, then xp, xp pro and there for many years till win7 where I stay till win10 is old and maybe later iterations are worth thinking about.

Apparently this website describes how to successfully disable win10 auto updates. https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-10-update-in-the-registry-and-with-powershell/ personally I think the best way to stop it is not to use it.

edit add: to protect win7 or win8.1 systems use "Never10" ( https://www.grc.com/never10.htm ) from grc.com

Last edited:

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I would be happy to understand and know how to use the EUFI & BIOS menu and to be able to get the Boot Device Manager, without needing to first enter Windows and do all those crazy button combination clicks and restarts.

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My work computer got hit by the Windows 10 virus yesterday. First impression - It really sucks. So many unnecessarily changed applications and settings. Now I have a desktop version of a tablet.

My work computer got hit by the Windows 10 virus yesterday. First impression - It really sucks. So many unnecessarily changed applications and settings
Oh, wait for it ... it gets worse once you start to realize how badly you've really been screwed.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Wow it's been over two years already?

Win10 is misnamed , it should be called "Peeping Tom" .

i bought a new hard drive
took it and my Win7 disk to local shop, instructed them
"Fix this drive so it's Win7 and Win10 can NEVER even peer in let alone get a toehold , then put it into this laptop."

About six months ago a Win7 update undid my Synaptics Touchpad Driver but i was able to reinstall it. So now i disallow updates.

been pretty happy with it., otherwise .

I changed over to win 10 around that time.
I works ok but it is the most irritating operating system I have ever used.

Cheers,

Billy

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Actually I like Windows Vista and Windows XP. For a common simple-thinking user, Windows 10 is fine if you do not want to know how to do anything complicated; when I do, I usually look for advice or information through sources on the internet first.

jack action

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I recently upgraded my computer and I took the opportunity to switch to Linux Lite OS. It is supposed to be aimed at Windows users switching to Linux. No complaints until now, except for the lack of drivers for my scanner and the occasional freeze. But I'm not sure if the freezing is due to the OS, mismatched parts on my new build (did not try other OS) or a mix of both. For now, the imperfections of Linux are better than the imperfections of Windows 10.

But I recently learn that my free income tax program I've been using for years can only run on Windows (doesn't work with Wine either). So I'll have to plug in the old PC for tax purposes. That will be the first time I'll have to do that.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Ref. to jack action #143;

In changing or starting into Windows 10 from Vista&7, I only found a few externals and maybe 1 software that needed any new/ or upgrades. For some external stuff, manufacturers websites had findable and effective "drivers". A publisher-type software application package which did work in Windows 7&Vista will not work in Windows 10, but that company does make a version which will work in Windows 10 - FOR THE UPGRADE PRICE, but not an essential application so not really an important problem any longer.

fluidistic

Gold Member
I recently upgraded my computer and I took the opportunity to switch to Linux Lite OS. It is supposed to be aimed at Windows users switching to Linux. No complaints until now, except for the lack of drivers for my scanner and the occasional freeze. But I'm not sure if the freezing is due to the OS, mismatched parts on my new build (did not try other OS) or a mix of both. For now, the imperfections of Linux are better than the imperfections of Windows 10.

But I recently learn that my free income tax program I've been using for years can only run on Windows (doesn't work with Wine either). So I'll have to plug in the old PC for tax purposes. That will be the first time I'll have to do that.
You have a pretty powerful beast of a machine. There is no reason not to install a VM program like VirtualBox, grab the free version of Windows 10 from the official website (you will not be able to modify the wallpaper and other aesthetic settings but who cares?) and run your Windows-only program in it. That's what you should do, IMO. No need to use a different machine for that.
I'm surprised it doesn't work with Wine though. Could you please provide the name of the program?

jack action

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
That's what you should do, IMO. No need to use a different machine for that.
Lots of things should work. But spending days trying to figure out how programs work, if they can fulfilled your needs, repair what you already installed because the new program screwed it up, etc., can really test your patience. Now I have something that works pretty good and I'm going to used it that way for a while. The old machine is beside the new one, it is just a matter of switching wires to bring it up to life. Sadly, it takes less time to do that than trying to make a program that I used once a year work.
I'm surprised it doesn't work with Wine though. Could you please provide the name of the program?
I'm not really used to Wine yet (I prefer getting the full 'Linux experience'), but the program is a Windows installer .exe and the message 'This program cannot be installed on OsNotIdentified' appears. :H The program would probably work, it's just the nice people who built the installer - thinking for me :rolleyes: - that refuse to do the job. That reminds me of the time I used the Opera browser and some sites would refuse to serve me their content with the excuse that their websites were designed for IE, Chrome or Firefox. Just serve the freaking HTML, let me deal with the reading. :mad:

fluidistic

Gold Member
Just in case you change your mind, here's a rather short video on how to install Windows 10 from within Linux, with Virtualbox. If the link dies, there are thousands, if not billions, tutorials in google about it.

Lots of things should work. But spending days trying to figure out how programs work, if they can fulfilled your needs, repair what you already installed because the new program screwed it up, etc., can really test your patience. Now I have something that works pretty good and I'm going to used it that way for a while. The old machine is beside the new one, it is just a matter of switching wires to bring it up to life. Sadly, it takes less time to do that than trying to make a program that I used once a year work.

I'm not really used to Wine yet (I prefer getting the full 'Linux experience'), but the program is a Windows installer .exe and the message 'This program cannot be installed on OsNotIdentified' appears. :H The program would probably work, it's just the nice people who built the installer - thinking for me :rolleyes: - that refuse to do the job.
You might be able to boot from a live Windows CD, DVD, or USB drive, run the install, then reboot from the internal HDD and run the installed program via Wine. Some programs won't install this way because they attempt to update the Windows registry, which they can't do on a non-writeable system. If your tax program is like that, you might still be able to clone it (copy the program and its DLLs and its directory) and drop it in that way.
That reminds me of the time I used the Opera browser and some sites would refuse to serve me their content with the excuse that their websites were designed for IE, Chrome or Firefox. Just serve the freaking HTML, let me deal with the reading. :mad:
You can change your User Agent string to tell sites that Opera is whatever browser they tell you they prefer. If you need to do it frequently, you can use this addon: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/user-agent-switcher/
On an ad hoc basis, you can use: ##O## Menu > Developer > Developer tools > ##\vdots## > More tools > Network conditions > [uncheck] Select automatically > Custom > ##\nabla## [choose browser]

jack action

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just a follow up on the use of a Windows program on a Linus OS:

I finally was able to install Windows 7 on VirtualBox and have it running correctly. Only problem was that I couldn't connect to the folders on my SSD or USB ports. And it seemed to be another complex problem to solve when quickly going through the web (creating 'guest' or have to load another version of VirtualBox). So I quit that avenue for now and just went with the old computer to be done with the taxes for this year.

Will probably look at the problem when I have more time for that.

Better UI with improved performance. The only thing I dislike is the auto-update feature