Windows 10 Benefits: 2 PCs, Upgrading from Win 7

In summary: Activation means you have to pay a fee to Microsoft in order to use the full features of the operating system.
I searched for the solution but many websites were not up to the mark. Even after trying various solutions, I was unable to disable Cortana. But then, I found on site (sharing below) which solved my problem. I guess, many people would be stuck like I am, so sharing the site. http://itechinspector.com/disable-cortana-in-windows.html

Computer science news on Phys.org
Rahulkothey said:
I searched for the solution but many websites were not up to the mark.
Good deal. . . :ok:What do you see in Task Manager. . . Suspended, I hope ?

OCR,
Telling how to make it become that way would help. I accomplished something like that many many months ago but forgot how it was done. (post #177)

Windows 10 is fine for most things*, but there are some major negatives to it IMO:

1.) Forced reboots while you're working. I don't care how many times people say "change your active time" or what-have-you, but losing hours of work because I went to take a bathroom break and come back to see my laptop rebooted because "it wasn't be used" is incredibly poor design.

2.) No way to manage updates yourself. Fortunately I've found a way around this - but I shouldn't have had to. Microsoft limits a lot of what you can and can't do on your home workstation with Windows 10.

3.) Windows as a Service is just a bad idea IMO. It's going to set a bad precedent of everything becoming "as a service" meaning you have little to no control over anything you purchase. I see Linux making a huge dent in home computing in the next few years.

I've been transitioning over to Linux over the last year - if I didn't rely on some software that was Windows only (and doesn't work with Wine), I'd have made the switch already.

* Most things meaning you aren't tech/computer savvy and have zero desire on managing your own system. It's incredibly horrible for the IT professional who has managed their own systems for the last 20 years.

Likes sysprog
@elusiveshame in my opinion, what you just posted in post #179 in this thread, was a very excellent and insightful post.

Likes elusiveshame
elusiveshame said:
Windows 10 is fine for most things*,

* Most things meaning you aren't tech/computer savvy and have zero desire on managing your own system. It's incredibly horrible for the IT professional who has managed their own systems for the last 20 years.
what he said (very small).jpg

Likes elusiveshame and sysprog
elusiveshame said:
* Most things meaning you aren't tech/computer savvy and have zero desire on managing your own system.

I've no desire to manage my system nor am i computer savvy.

I do however get outraged when Windows 10 sneaks in a night and moves stuff on me, changes interfaces, changes passwords, hides my files, renames folders,
butts in uninvited to anything I'm doing
spies on me and reports

in short takes over:
to borrow a phrase from history
Never Again !

old jim

Likes sysprog and elusiveshame
<h2>1. What are the benefits of having 2 PCs with Windows 10?</h2><p>Having 2 PCs with Windows 10 allows for increased productivity and flexibility. You can easily switch between the two devices and access all your files and applications seamlessly. It also allows for better collaboration and sharing of resources between the two devices.</p><h2>2. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7?</h2><p>Yes, upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 offers many benefits such as improved security, better performance, and access to new features and updates. Additionally, Windows 7 will no longer receive support from Microsoft after January 14, 2020, making it vulnerable to security threats.</p><h2>3. Can I still use my old programs and files after upgrading to Windows 10?</h2><p>Yes, most programs and files from Windows 7 will still be compatible with Windows 10. However, it is recommended to check with the software developer for any potential compatibility issues before upgrading.</p><h2>4. Are there any additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?</h2><p>No, there are no additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs. The upgrade is free for users with a valid Windows 7 license. However, if you are purchasing a new device with Windows 10, there will be a cost for the device itself.</p><h2>5. How do I upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?</h2><p>To upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs, you will need to first upgrade one PC to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Then, on the second PC, you can use the same tool to create an installation media and upgrade to Windows 10. Alternatively, you can also upgrade both PCs through the Windows Update feature.</p>

1. What are the benefits of having 2 PCs with Windows 10?

Having 2 PCs with Windows 10 allows for increased productivity and flexibility. You can easily switch between the two devices and access all your files and applications seamlessly. It also allows for better collaboration and sharing of resources between the two devices.

2. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7?

Yes, upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 offers many benefits such as improved security, better performance, and access to new features and updates. Additionally, Windows 7 will no longer receive support from Microsoft after January 14, 2020, making it vulnerable to security threats.

3. Can I still use my old programs and files after upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes, most programs and files from Windows 7 will still be compatible with Windows 10. However, it is recommended to check with the software developer for any potential compatibility issues before upgrading.

4. Are there any additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?

No, there are no additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs. The upgrade is free for users with a valid Windows 7 license. However, if you are purchasing a new device with Windows 10, there will be a cost for the device itself.

5. How do I upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?

To upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs, you will need to first upgrade one PC to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Then, on the second PC, you can use the same tool to create an installation media and upgrade to Windows 10. Alternatively, you can also upgrade both PCs through the Windows Update feature.