Windows 10 Benefits: 2 PCs, Upgrading from Win 7

In summary: Activation means you have to pay a fee to Microsoft in order to use the full features of the operating system.
I changed over to win 10 around that time.
I works ok but it is the most irritating operating system I have ever used.

Cheers,

Billy

Likes jim hardy
Computer science news on Phys.org
Actually I like Windows Vista and Windows XP. For a common simple-thinking user, Windows 10 is fine if you do not want to know how to do anything complicated; when I do, I usually look for advice or information through sources on the internet first.

I recently upgraded my computer and I took the opportunity to switch to Linux Lite OS. It is supposed to be aimed at Windows users switching to Linux. No complaints until now, except for the lack of drivers for my scanner and the occasional freeze. But I'm not sure if the freezing is due to the OS, mismatched parts on my new build (did not try other OS) or a mix of both. For now, the imperfections of Linux are better than the imperfections of Windows 10.

But I recently learn that my free income tax program I've been using for years can only run on Windows (doesn't work with Wine either). So I'll have to plug in the old PC for tax purposes. That will be the first time I'll have to do that.

Ref. to jack action #143;

In changing or starting into Windows 10 from Vista&7, I only found a few externals and maybe 1 software that needed any new/ or upgrades. For some external stuff, manufacturers websites had findable and effective "drivers". A publisher-type software application package which did work in Windows 7&Vista will not work in Windows 10, but that company does make a version which will work in Windows 10 - FOR THE UPGRADE PRICE, but not an essential application so not really an important problem any longer.

jack action said:
I recently upgraded my computer and I took the opportunity to switch to Linux Lite OS. It is supposed to be aimed at Windows users switching to Linux. No complaints until now, except for the lack of drivers for my scanner and the occasional freeze. But I'm not sure if the freezing is due to the OS, mismatched parts on my new build (did not try other OS) or a mix of both. For now, the imperfections of Linux are better than the imperfections of Windows 10.

But I recently learn that my free income tax program I've been using for years can only run on Windows (doesn't work with Wine either). So I'll have to plug in the old PC for tax purposes. That will be the first time I'll have to do that.
You have a pretty powerful beast of a machine. There is no reason not to install a VM program like VirtualBox, grab the free version of Windows 10 from the official website (you will not be able to modify the wallpaper and other aesthetic settings but who cares?) and run your Windows-only program in it. That's what you should do, IMO. No need to use a different machine for that.
I'm surprised it doesn't work with Wine though. Could you please provide the name of the program?

fluidistic said:
That's what you should do, IMO. No need to use a different machine for that.
Lots of things should work. But spending days trying to figure out how programs work, if they can fulfilled your needs, repair what you already installed because the new program screwed it up, etc., can really test your patience. Now I have something that works pretty good and I'm going to used it that way for a while. The old machine is beside the new one, it is just a matter of switching wires to bring it up to life. Sadly, it takes less time to do that than trying to make a program that I used once a year work.
fluidistic said:
I'm surprised it doesn't work with Wine though. Could you please provide the name of the program?
I'm not really used to Wine yet (I prefer getting the full 'Linux experience'), but the program is a Windows installer .exe and the message 'This program cannot be installed on OsNotIdentified' appears. :H The program would probably work, it's just the nice people who built the installer - thinking for me :rolleyes: - that refuse to do the job. That reminds me of the time I used the Opera browser and some sites would refuse to serve me their content with the excuse that their websites were designed for IE, Chrome or Firefox. Just serve the freaking HTML, let me deal with the reading. :mad:

Just in case you change your mind, here's a rather short video on how to install Windows 10 from within Linux, with Virtualbox. If the link dies, there are thousands, if not billions, tutorials in google about it.

Likes jack action
jack action said:
Lots of things should work. But spending days trying to figure out how programs work, if they can fulfilled your needs, repair what you already installed because the new program screwed it up, etc., can really test your patience. Now I have something that works pretty good and I'm going to used it that way for a while. The old machine is beside the new one, it is just a matter of switching wires to bring it up to life. Sadly, it takes less time to do that than trying to make a program that I used once a year work.

I'm not really used to Wine yet (I prefer getting the full 'Linux experience'), but the program is a Windows installer .exe and the message 'This program cannot be installed on OsNotIdentified' appears. :H The program would probably work, it's just the nice people who built the installer - thinking for me :rolleyes: - that refuse to do the job.
You might be able to boot from a live Windows CD, DVD, or USB drive, run the install, then reboot from the internal HDD and run the installed program via Wine. Some programs won't install this way because they attempt to update the Windows registry, which they can't do on a non-writeable system. If your tax program is like that, you might still be able to clone it (copy the program and its DLLs and its directory) and drop it in that way.
That reminds me of the time I used the Opera browser and some sites would refuse to serve me their content with the excuse that their websites were designed for IE, Chrome or Firefox. Just serve the freaking HTML, let me deal with the reading. :mad:
You can change your User Agent string to tell sites that Opera is whatever browser they tell you they prefer. If you need to do it frequently, you can use this addon: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/user-agent-switcher/
On an ad hoc basis, you can use: ##O## Menu > Developer > Developer tools > ##\vdots## > More tools > Network conditions > [uncheck] Select automatically > Custom > ##\nabla## [choose browser]

Just a follow up on the use of a Windows program on a Linus OS:

I finally was able to install Windows 7 on VirtualBox and have it running correctly. Only problem was that I couldn't connect to the folders on my SSD or USB ports. And it seemed to be another complex problem to solve when quickly going through the web (creating 'guest' or have to load another version of VirtualBox). So I quit that avenue for now and just went with the old computer to be done with the taxes for this year.

Will probably look at the problem when I have more time for that.

Better UI with improved performance. The only thing I dislike is the auto-update feature

Likes davenn
klazoniac said:
Better UI with improved performance. The only thing I dislike is the auto-update feature
You can disable that -- Start > Search box > compmgmt.msc > Services and Applications > Services > Windows Update > Properties > Disabled > Apply

You may also want to disable the Update Orchestrator service.

I think if you go carefully over the EULA, you may be able to cut down on the snooping and data collection for Megahard.

Is Windows 10 really better than Windows 7?

Likes sysprog
Eakery said:
By what measure(s)? Across the board?

Eakery said:
Some people love it, some of us hate it. I think the less computer literate you are the more you are likely to love it because it has moved in the direction of smartphones.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
I think the less computer literate you are the more you are likely to love it because it has moved in the direction of smartphones.
That hits the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned. For this reason, I hated Win 8. I do not want every application displayed as a rectangle on the screen -- I'm much more comfortable creating a hierarchical file structure into which I can arrange the thousands of files I deal with in a much more logical manner. Win 10 is not as bad as Win 8, from the perspective of the user interface, but that's faint praise.

Likes symbolipoint
AFAIK, the main division is between 2 and 3 and subdivisions within each . You choose either depending on what you want to do. I believe version 3 is more geared towards data analysis than v 2 is.
But more
knowledgeable people here can elaborate on the application for each.

Mark44 said:
That hits the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned. For this reason, I hated Win 8. I do not want every application displayed as a rectangle on the screen -- I'm much more comfortable creating a hierarchical file structure into which I can arrange the thousands of files I deal with in a much more logical manner. Win 10 is not as bad as Win 8, from the perspective of the user interface, but that's faint praise.
sysprog said:
@Mark44 and @phinds: a more flexible and less overmediated interface is available at http://www.classicshell.net/
User learns to mostly ignore that distracting image of clickable tile images, and to look alphabetically for the desired application or program from the left side panel from the Start button. I have TWO programs on Windows 10 which I OFTEN like to use, and for these, I put the tile of each onto the tiles menu. I IGNORE all the other tiles, because they are at least for me, just so much visual junk.

symbolipoint said:
User learns to mostly ignore that distracting image of clickable tile images, and to look alphabetically for the desired application or program from the left side panel from the Start button. I have TWO programs on Windows 10 which I OFTEN like to use, and for these, I put the tile of each onto the tiles menu. I IGNORE all the other tiles, because they are at least for me, just so much visual junk.
You can make your preferred programs stick to the taskbar, too, and ignore the tiles altogether. The Classic Shell interface allows you to let Win 10 look like Win 7 or Win XP, and has an option at the top of the Start menu to let you see the normal Win 10 view. There are many other ways to make Win 10 less obnoxious.

I really cannot see why users are whining about Windows 10. My desktop looks just like my Windows 7 desktop, Vista desktop, XP desktop...

Put the shortcuts for the icons you use fairly often on the desktop and those you use all the time on the taskbar. 10 minutes - done!

Likes MikeeMiracle and davenn
Svein said:
I really cannot see why users are whining about Windows 10.
Perhaps you could find out something about why by clicking here (or more directly, here).

Just one example: why is the search function not as good as it was in XP? In XP, the search doesn't start while the user is still typing in its parameters, it's easy enough to search for text within files, and newer results didn't bump older results out of view during scrolling.

Agent Ransack is one of many good free alternatives to Windows Search.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
Advantages
1) Its the latest and greatest update of all the windows editions. Even critically acclaimed.
2) From gaming perspective, its got directx 12, which promises high frame rates with future games
3) The UI has been redesigned so the users of windows 7 or earlier can be confromatable using it.
4) The metro/modern apps are redesigned to be comfortable using with mouse and keyboard
5) For windows phone users, better integration with the OS, like seeing the missed calls from mobile, sending text from mobile using windows 10 and lots more
6) Cortana, a virtual personal assistant has made her way to the OS, she can be very useful.
7) General stability and performance has been greatly increased. Windows 7 users would feel like riding Ferrari
8) With windows store, users can access lots of modern/mobile apps like twitter, fb, etc
9) With windows 10, most of the drivers will automatically updated by the OS itself, gone are the days when we used to search drivers of the hardware manually. But still some drivers have to be updated manually
10) New browser called Microsoft Edge is introduced
11) Virtual desktops is introduced
12) Better snap assist
13) I found significant improvement in gaming, especially the frame rates have improved.

danachiraq said:
Advantages
I agree that Win 10 is not entirely devoid of advantages; it's better than Win 8, which was pretty much a downgrade from Win 7.
1) Its the latest and greatest update of all the windows editions. Even critically acclaimed.
Critically acclaimed compared to what and by whom?
2) From gaming perspective, its got directx 12, which promises high frame rates with future games
Games are designed and written with certain platforms in mind. It's no surprise if MS improves its gaming capabilities in order to draw business away from competitors in that sector. Users who don't play resource-intensive games on Windows don't benefit from it being more gamer-friendly than its predecessors.
3) The UI has been redesigned so the users of windows 7 or earlier can be comfortable using it.
(^ typo corrected) Maybe closely enough for the comfort of some users. MS doesn't favor backward compatibility, and isn't shy about alienating users of its older systems. MS thinks it can rope them into paying for newer stuff, and it doesn't much care about their objections.
4) The metro/modern apps are redesigned to be comfortable using with mouse and keyboard
The bloatware that was designed to sell the product on touch screens is now also usable on other systems.
5) For windows phone users, better integration with the OS, like seeing the missed calls from mobile, sending text from mobile using windows 10 and lots more
Windows phone users are a small minority of Windows 10 users and of phone users.
6) Cortana, a virtual personal assistant has made her way to the OS, she can be very useful.
Cortana is intrusive, and like Edge, is treated preferentially when the user wants it removed from the taskbar.
7) General stability and performance has been greatly increased. Windows 7 users would feel like riding Ferrari
Often Ferrari vehicles have a power-to-weight ratio advantage over other vehicles against which they are tested. Some Win 10 systems, despite having some faster components, can run slower than some Win 7 systems, depending on the workload.
8) With windows store, users can access lots of modern/mobile apps like twitter, fb, etc
That just more of MS trying to get its fingers into every pie it can smell.
9) With windows 10, most of the drivers will automatically updated by the OS itself, gone are the days when we used to search drivers of the hardware manually. But still some drivers have to be updated manually
Device drivers should be, and usually are, supplied by the hardware manufacturers. Most modern mature Linux systems can immediately recognize, and promptly install drivers for, any hardware configuration they encounter, and failing that, can, automatically, find and download them from the net, and install them.
10) New browser called Microsoft Edge is introduced
That's MS trying to push its new browser on users, now that IE has for decades failed miserably compared to its competitors, despite having 'undocumented' OS 'fast paths' available .
11) Virtual desktops is introduced
Introduced? Belatedly -- VirtuaWin is open source (GNU license), leaner, and has more functionality, and it's been around since Win ME.
12) Better snap assist
That's pretty minor.
13) I found significant improvement in gaming, especially the frame rates have improved.
Anecdotal. Better compared to what? Win 7 on an older system?

None of your listed 'advantages', nor all of them, nor those along with others you didn't list, excuses the high-handed elimination of features and functionality that users of prior versions relied upon, or the preferential treatment of the bundled bloatware, or the attempted denial of simple options, such as obscuring prevention of auto-update.

Despite all that, I think that once it's customized appropriately, Win 10 can be a not-too-hateworthy OS for everyday use.

Even so, I still think users are right to object to its annoyances.

Likes davenn and symbolipoint
sysprog said:
Cortana is intrusive, and like Edge, is treated preferentially when the user wants it removed from the taskbar.
100% agree. You can't remove Edge and when I did disable Cortana, the Start menu started having issues. Basically, all of the apps in the Start menu are disabled including the Shut Down and Logout buttons the first time that you open it. You have to then close the Start menu and then open it a second time to see it display the apps correctly. Apparently, everything starts off as disabled until Cortana has checked them or you trigger it by opening the menu the first time.

Likes sysprog
Borg said:
100% agree. You can't remove Edge and when I did disable Cortana, the Start menu started having issues. Basically, all of the apps in the Start menu are disabled including the Shut Down and Logout buttons the first time that you open it. You have to then close the Start menu and then open it a second time to see it display the apps correctly. Apparently, everything starts off as disabled until Cortana has checked them or you trigger it by opening the menu the first time.
Both Cortana and Edge are apparently both checked for and invoked in Win 10 startup, and both apparently contain code to re-enable themselves and re-install their shortcuts if the user has tried to put them out of sight.

Here's a how-to on eliminating Edge.

Cortana is partly a frontend for SearchUI.exe, which keeps running in the background even when you remove Cortana from the taskbar, and if you try to get rid of Cortana altogether, you may disable the search box, so you can instead follow a more conservative procedure, as documented here.

Likes Borg
The .bak trick in the Edge how-to is what I used on Cortana. I had to be REALLY fast because you can't change the name if it's running and it spawns immeadiately after killing the process. As for the Cortana stuff in the second link, I did all of those but I really don't trust that it really limits Cortana unless the process is dead. Unfortunately, having to open the Start menu twice every time I restart my computer is more annoying.

BTW, I am on a brand new Dell Alienware laptop. One of the reasons that I've been poking around in the processes is that it has static in the sound when I first start it up. It tends to clear up after a while but can intermittantly get static again. It seems that Dell and MS have so many processes running to "enhance my experience", that listening to clear music isn't part of the experience that they've deemed as important. From the searches that I've done, this appears to be a common annoyance with some Dell laptops but I have yet to find a workable solution. I even called Dell tech support. They had me update some BIOS firmware and it seemed to go away. However, it came back again. So, if anyone knows how to solve this... :oldbiggrin:

Borg said:
The .bak trick in the Edge how-to is what I used on Cortana. I had to be REALLY fast because you can't change the name if it's running and it spawns immeadiately after killing the process. As for the Cortana stuff in the second link, I did all of those but I really don't trust that it really limits Cortana unless the process is dead. Unfortunately, having to open the Start menu twice every time I restart my computer is more annoying.
I suppose you could start from safe mode command prompt only and do the rename from there ...
BTW, I am on a brand new Dell Alienware laptop. One of the reasons that I've been poking around in the processes is that it has static in the sound when I first start it up. It tends to clear up after a while but can intermittantly get static again. It seems that Dell and MS have so many processes running to "enhance my experience", that listening to clear music isn't part of the experience that they've deemed as important. From the searches that I've done, this appears to be a common annoyance with some Dell laptops but I have yet to find a workable solution. I even called Dell tech support. They had me update some BIOS firmware and it seemed to go away. However, it came back again. So, if anyone knows how to solve this... :oldbiggrin:
This is just an offhand guess, but as I recall, there's a Windows component that determines whether the audio output is shared, or seizable exclusively by a single application, and if that component is frequently getting control momentarily, it may be interacting with the audio driver, and so may prevent it from acting smoothly, and could introduce noisy interruptions. Are you using Intel audio drivers, Windows, or something else?

sysprog said:
I suppose you could start from safe mode command prompt only and do the rename from there ...
I did manage to rename it but the Start menu problem forced me to put it bak.
sysprog said:
Are you using Intel audio drivers, Windows, or something else?
I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I'm back on it. I think that it's an NVIDIA audio driver but I know that there are Intel drivers floating around as well.

Borg said:
I did manage to rename it but the Start menu problem forced me to put it bak.
Maybe you could check out Classic Shell, and see whether that may help.
I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I'm back on it. I think that it's an NVIDIA audio driver but I know that there are Intel drivers floating around as well.
This is about a year old, but may still be applicable for your new machine:
NVIDIA audio crackling 'workaround' fix.

• Love
Likes Borg
I turned off the fast startup yesterday but, before turning it off, I still had the same problem. One especially bad incident was when I opened a new Firefox window and then opened a list of 12 bookmarked pages all at once. Firefox CPU usage went to 100%, audio sounded like a 78 lp record running at 45, the mouse was slow, etc.

This morning after starting, I opened the same 12 tabs and no problems. CPU usage was normal and audio was completely unaffected!
:partytime:

Big Thanks @sysprog :bow:

Likes sysprog
Borg said:
I turned off the fast startup yesterday but, before turning it off, I still had the same problem. One especially bad incident was when I opened a new Firefox window and then opened a list of 12 bookmarked pages all at once. Firefox CPU usage went to 100%, audio sounded like a 78 lp record running at 45, the mouse was slow, etc.

This morning after starting, I opened the same 12 tabs and no problems. CPU usage was normal and audio was completely unaffected!
:partytime:

Big Thanks @sysprog :bow:
Appreciation from me to you, too, @Borg.

Likes Borg
You get all the credit for this one.

I've known for years that you don't want to constantly use hibernate because it causes issues. It would never have crossed my mind that MS would do such a thing to the shutdown option. Finding out that my laptop has been hibernating every time since I bought it 6 weeks ago (and being able to really shut it down) is a lifesaver.

Likes sysprog
Borg said:
You get all the credit for this one.

I've known for years that you don't want to constantly use hibernate because it causes issues. It would never have crossed my mind that MS would do such a thing to the shutdown option. Finding out that my laptop has been hibernating every time since I bought it 6 weeks ago (and being able to really shut it down) is a lifesaver.
MS is apparently, in its jaundiced-eye view, taking the approach that (given that the HW guys can blame the OS for slow boots) making the boots faster, even at the expense of true renewal, would make some users happier, and would help to further its nefarious agenda to foundationalize its 'OS as a subscription service' paradigm.

Last edited:
Likes Borg
<h2>1. What are the benefits of having 2 PCs with Windows 10?</h2><p>Having 2 PCs with Windows 10 allows for increased productivity and flexibility. You can easily switch between the two devices and access all your files and applications seamlessly. It also allows for better collaboration and sharing of resources between the two devices.</p><h2>2. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7?</h2><p>Yes, upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 offers many benefits such as improved security, better performance, and access to new features and updates. Additionally, Windows 7 will no longer receive support from Microsoft after January 14, 2020, making it vulnerable to security threats.</p><h2>3. Can I still use my old programs and files after upgrading to Windows 10?</h2><p>Yes, most programs and files from Windows 7 will still be compatible with Windows 10. However, it is recommended to check with the software developer for any potential compatibility issues before upgrading.</p><h2>4. Are there any additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?</h2><p>No, there are no additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs. The upgrade is free for users with a valid Windows 7 license. However, if you are purchasing a new device with Windows 10, there will be a cost for the device itself.</p><h2>5. How do I upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?</h2><p>To upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs, you will need to first upgrade one PC to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Then, on the second PC, you can use the same tool to create an installation media and upgrade to Windows 10. Alternatively, you can also upgrade both PCs through the Windows Update feature.</p>

1. What are the benefits of having 2 PCs with Windows 10?

Having 2 PCs with Windows 10 allows for increased productivity and flexibility. You can easily switch between the two devices and access all your files and applications seamlessly. It also allows for better collaboration and sharing of resources between the two devices.

2. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7?

Yes, upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 offers many benefits such as improved security, better performance, and access to new features and updates. Additionally, Windows 7 will no longer receive support from Microsoft after January 14, 2020, making it vulnerable to security threats.

3. Can I still use my old programs and files after upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes, most programs and files from Windows 7 will still be compatible with Windows 10. However, it is recommended to check with the software developer for any potential compatibility issues before upgrading.

4. Are there any additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?

No, there are no additional costs for upgrading to Windows 10 on 2 PCs. The upgrade is free for users with a valid Windows 7 license. However, if you are purchasing a new device with Windows 10, there will be a cost for the device itself.

5. How do I upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs?

To upgrade to Windows 10 on 2 PCs, you will need to first upgrade one PC to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Then, on the second PC, you can use the same tool to create an installation media and upgrade to Windows 10. Alternatively, you can also upgrade both PCs through the Windows Update feature.