What Causes Windows 10 DVD-Writer to Treat DVDs as Blank?

In summary: Trying other browsers now.In summary, the problem is that Win 10 treats DVDs as if they are blank discs even though they are not. The behavior is strange and it is not clear what the problem might be.
mech-eng
I have newly installed Win 10 but it has a problem with my DVD-writer. The problem is that it treats DVDs as blank DVDs but this is for some of them. The behavior is very strange because it sometimes treat a DVD properly but then sees it as blank. What can be the problem and how can I solve it.

P.S: I will activate windows 10 is not activated yet.

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Seems like that must be a hardware problem, Possible a driver problem. I take it this DVD drive has worked fine in the past? If that's the case, I'd recommend reinstalling the Windows 10 driver for it.

phinds said:
Seems like that must be a hardware problem, Possible a driver problem. I take it this DVD drive has worked fine in the past? If that's the case, I'd recommend reinstalling the Windows 10 driver for it.

I think so as well. Link of the drivers are here:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...n-15-Notebook-PC-series/5401225/model/5443031
It seems there is no driver for DVD-writer. But this official link has confused me because mainboard's driver is here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows
What is the difference between them?
Picture of the driver I downloaded and tried to install.
chipse.png

I have downloaded the driver with the name radeon-crimson-relive-17.2.1-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7-64bit-mar3 but it gave me the error
upload_2017-3-7_10-30-16.png

The drivers seems O.K. What should I do now?
y.png

Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-7_10-31-8.png
    upload_2017-3-7_10-31-8.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 545
You did not answer my question. HAS the DVD burner worked in the past?

Your first link, that you say has no DVD drivers, has several DVD drivers so I don't get why you think it has none.

I'm not sure what the specific driver you listed does but it may have nothing to do with DVD driver.

I assume that you are using Windows native DVD burn capability, yes? If so, try downloading one of the free DVD burners and see if the error persists. Try BurnAware Free or ImgBurn. Either or both may bring in bloatware if you don't opt out, so watch out for that.

phinds said:
You did not answer my question. HAS the DVD burner worked in the past?
Yes, it was working properly when Win 8 and 8.1 installed.

phinds said:
Your first link, that you say has no DVD drivers, has several DVD drivers so I don't get why you think it has none.

Which one is it? It seems there are ten drivers in the first link. They are driver-audio, driver graphics, driver-graphics amd, driver-keyboard, mouse and input devices, driver network, driver storage, bios, firmware, software solutions and utility tools respectively. I cannot understand which one is as to the DVD ?

phinds said:
I'm not sure what the specific driver you listed does but it may have nothing to do with DVD driver.

Then what would be the problem with DVD?

phinds said:
I assume that you are using Windows native DVD burn capability, yes? If so, try downloading one of the free DVD burners and see if the error persists. Try BurnAware Free or ImgBurn. Either or both may bring in bloatware if you don't opt out, so watch out for that.

No, I am not burning dvds, I try to access to them, but windows sees them blank.
Did you looked at the pictures I uploaded? For device manager, everythings seem O.K.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Which one is it? It seems there are ten drivers in the first link. They are driver-audio, driver graphics, driver-graphics amd, driver-keyboard, mouse and input devices, driver network, driver storage, bios, firmware, software solutions and utility tools respectively. I cannot understand which one is as to the DVD ?
Uh ... the ones that say "DVD driver" ? You DO have to click the "+" sign to get the basic types to expand.

Capture.JPG

I do not see any thing called software-multimedia after firmware. In my link, there is nothing between firmware and software-solutions and software solutions have two options, (2) instead of (7) in my link. Would you give the link?

Thank you.

The pic I posted is directly from the link you provided.

Likes CalcNerd
Why does the link appear differently?

Thank you.

Then this is really a very strange behavior for internet world. I am wondering who will explain this. Would you please expand the link for multimedia and copy past links of DVD driver?

Thank you.

Once you expand the multimedia link, the buttons for the options don't expand into further links, they are direct download link so clicking on them just causes them to give me a download. Have you tried other browsers? I'm using FireFox

phinds said:
Once you expand the multimedia link, the buttons for the options don't expand into further links, they are direct download link so clicking on them just causes them to give me a download. Have you tried other browsers? I'm using FireFox

Good idea, I am not even on explorer, I am in a new feature of win 10, might be called edge. I will try and give feed back.

Thank you.

It doesn't work in Mozilla so can it be related to the country?
hp d.png

Can I obtain it from manufacturer of DVD, instead of HP ? I will try now.

Thank you.

This is certainly weird. Don't know what other help I can give you.

The solution to your internet weirdness is that the HP site provided detects your operating system and shows you files based on the OS it detects. Using my Windows 7 64-bit OS, I get what PHINDS sees. If I change to view the drivers for Windows 10 64-bit I see what MECH-ENG sees.

At the top of the page, just before the list of drivers, the detected OS is displayed, and it offers to let you change to see other drivers:

upload_2017-3-7_10-51-48.png

Likes phinds
In this situation, does it mean there is no driver for DVD?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
In this situation, does it mean there is no driver for DVD?

Thank you.
Looks like that might be the case for your version of Windows. My understanding is that a lot of devices supposedly work directly with the generic Windows 10 drivers. You can see why I put "supposedly" in quotes. Windows 10, for example, will not let me download a correct driver for my Optical Comfort Mouse 3000 because it INSISTS that it HAS the correct driver. Only problem is that not all of the functionality of the mouse works with that driver. More evidence that Windows 10 sucks. There is a LONG thread on this forum about why people hate Windows 10. Driver problems are one of the issues.

Likes CalcNerd
Would it be better to go back to win 7 because of this DVD driver issue?

Thank you

mech-eng said:
Would it be better to go back to win 7 because of this DVD driver issue?

Thank you

That depends on how you use the machine and why you like. Personally, I don't like Windows 10 but have it on my laptop. My workhorse computer is Windows 7 and I would never consider using Windows 10 on it unless forced to by Microsoft. I would first contact the manufacturer of the DVD reader and see what they say.

But there is no info about manufacturer.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But there is no info about manufacturer.

Thank you.
Are you telling me that nowhere on the physical device is there any indication of who the manufacturer is? No little sticker with a serial number, model #, and so forth? I don't recall ever seeing such a thing.

EDIT: oh, wait ... it's a laptop? In that case the laptop manufacturer is the one to contact

phinds said:
Are you telling me that nowhere on the physical device is there any indication of who the manufacturer is? No little sticker with a serial number, model #, and so forth? I don't recall ever seeing such a thing.

EDIT: oh, wait ... it's a laptop? In that case the laptop manufacturer is the one to contact

Yes, there is sheet under DVD-writer with a code and number, PU-S08G. But how can I find the manufacturer with this info?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Yes, there is sheet under DVD-writer with a code and number, PU-S08G. But how can I find the manufacturer with this info?

Thank you.
Try typing it into Google. I did "pu-s08g dvd player" and got a bunch of hits for a Sony player

EDIT: bummer ... they all seem to be standalone players. Not what you are looking for.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Try typing it into Google. I did "pu-s08g dvd player" and got a bunch of hits for a Sony player

EDIT: bummer ... they all seem to be standalone players. Not what you are looking for.

And there is no result for the entry: "pu-s08g" dvd

I will ask this driver in hp's support forum. But I still cannot figure out what the amd's driver are in the link I have given
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows
Thank you.

AMD is the chipset. The chipset drivers are for the integrated components of the motherboard including things like the AHCI and USB ports, the tools you can use to RAID the drive(s) in your system, etc. It's not for your DVD Drive; upgrading the chipset drivers is something you only do if you actually have to - and if you're confident in your technical abilities should something go wrong.

This should help. You're not the only one with DVD issues with HP Computers. This link is for "HP PCs" in general, but the concept is similar between a workstation and a laptop: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738

rkolter said:
AMD is the chipset. The chipset drivers are for the integrated components of the motherboard including things like the AHCI and USB ports, the tools you can use to RAID the drive(s) in your system, etc. It's not for your DVD Drive; upgrading the chipset drivers is something you only do if you actually have to - and if you're confident in your technical abilities should something go wrong.

Why does HP's site not include that driver?
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...n-15-Notebook-PC-series/5401225/model/5443031

That is a very good question - you should call HP and ask them. At a guess - they probably release chipset drivers only when absolutely required to do so to handle a specific issue they identified or to make the hardware compatible with a specific standard they want to support. But that's just a guess.

Again though - chipset drivers will not fix your DVD issue.

phinds said:
Looks like that might be the case for your version of Windows. My understanding is that a lot of devices supposedly work directly with the generic Windows 10 drivers. You can see why I put "supposedly" in quotes. Windows 10, for example, will not let me download a correct driver for my Optical Comfort Mouse 3000 because it INSISTS that it HAS the correct driver. Only problem is that not all of the functionality of the mouse works with that driver. More evidence that Windows 10 sucks. There is a LONG thread on this forum about why people hate Windows 10. Driver problems are one of the issues.
If I stop internet connection when windows 10 is being installed, can windows still install its generic drivers? Or this works?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
If I stop internet connection when windows 10 is being installed, can windows still install its generic drivers? Or this works?

Thank you.
Generic drivers are part of the installation. The internet connection is irrelevant.

What are the ways to uninstall those generic drivers so that I can install better drivers. Can I unsinstall them from Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall A Program path?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
What are the ways to uninstall those generic drivers so that I can install better drivers. Can I unsinstall them from Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall A Program path?

Thank you.
That I don't know. I don't know if they even show up, but I guess they should.

mech-eng said:

The generic drivers installed by the operating system aren't meant to be uninstalled. They're meant to be there if no other better drivers are available. Their presence won't stop you from installing and choosing to use other drivers for your hardware.

rkolter said:
The generic drivers installed by the operating system aren't meant to be uninstalled. They're meant to be there if no other better drivers are available. Their presence won't stop you from installing and choosing to use other drivers for your hardware.

Do you have any idea on how to uninstall drivers? I have try to uninstall them via device manager>programs>uninstall a program path but there was only two drivers there, Synaptics Pointing Device driver and Realtek High Definition Audio drivers. So why doesn't other seem there? How I can uninstall others?

Thank you.