Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows 2000 problem: svchost.exe

1. Aug 11, 2003 #1
    Can anyone please tell me where I can learn what the process
    is and why it has recently started generating errors and stopping in what has been a very stable operating system for 2 years?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2003 #2
  4. Aug 11, 2003 #3

Staff: Mentor

svchost runs services. So you have a specific service that is generating errors. Have you installed any new software recently?
  5. Aug 11, 2003 #4
    My last software install was a month ago and that program (real player) is not running when I have the error.

Further experiments have convinced me that it only occurs when I access my email but is independent of the program I use to do so (unix window, web mail or outlook).

Before the error there are 2 instances of svchost.exe and after the error there is only one. Weird things happen with a variety of programs.

The web link was very useful background info. Thanks.
  6. Aug 12, 2003 #5

Staff: Mentor

Services run all the time, whether their associated application is open or not.

Sounds like maybe it has something to do with networking.

These things can be tough to diagnose - often its easier (though still a pain) just to re-install windows.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?