Windows 2000 problem: svchost.exe

• Thread starter mmwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, a user is experiencing errors with the process svchost.exe in their stable operating system. They have searched for information on the issue and found a helpful link on Microsoft's website and have also tried searching on Google. Further experimentation has shown that the error only occurs when accessing email, regardless of the program used. The user's last software install was a month ago, but the error persists even when the associated program (Real Player) is not running. It is suspected that the issue may be related to networking and may require a re-installation of the operating system to fix.
mmwave
Can anyone please tell me where I can learn what the process
svchost.exe
is and why it has recently started generating errors and stopping in what has been a very stable operating system for 2 years?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
svchost runs services. So you have a specific service that is generating errors. Have you installed any new software recently?

My last software install was a month ago and that program (real player) is not running when I have the error.

Further experiments have convinced me that it only occurs when I access my email but is independent of the program I use to do so (unix window, web mail or outlook).

Before the error there are 2 instances of svchost.exe and after the error there is only one. Weird things happen with a variety of programs.

The web link was very useful background info. Thanks.

Originally posted by mmwave
My last software install was a month ago and that program (real player) is not running when I have the error.
Services run all the time, whether their associated application is open or not.

Sounds like maybe it has something to do with networking.

These things can be tough to diagnose - often its easier (though still a pain) just to re-install windows.

1. What is svchost.exe and why is it causing problems on Windows 2000?

Svchost.exe is a system process in Windows 2000 that is responsible for hosting multiple Windows services. These services are necessary for the functioning of the operating system and other software. In some cases, svchost.exe can cause problems due to high CPU usage, which can slow down the system.

2. How can I identify which services are causing high CPU usage through svchost.exe?

You can use the built-in Windows Task Manager to identify which services are running under a specific instance of svchost.exe. Simply right-click on the svchost.exe process and select "Go to Services". This will highlight the specific services running under that instance of svchost.exe.

3. Can I stop or disable svchost.exe to resolve the issue?

No, svchost.exe is a critical system process and stopping or disabling it can cause serious problems with the functioning of your Windows 2000 system. It is best to identify and troubleshoot the specific service causing high CPU usage instead of stopping svchost.exe altogether.

4. How can I fix high CPU usage caused by svchost.exe?

There are a few steps you can take to fix high CPU usage caused by svchost.exe. You can try running a virus scan to ensure that the process is not being used by malware. You can also try updating your Windows 2000 system to the latest service pack, as this may contain fixes for known issues with svchost.exe. Additionally, you can try restarting the affected service or disabling unnecessary services to reduce the load on svchost.exe.

5. Is upgrading to a newer version of Windows the only solution to resolve svchost.exe problems?

No, upgrading to a newer version of Windows is not the only solution. While Windows 2000 is an outdated operating system, there are still ways to troubleshoot and resolve issues with svchost.exe. However, if the problem persists and is significantly impacting your system's performance, it may be worth considering upgrading to a newer and more secure version of Windows.