Windows 7 error message

In summary, on Windows 7, disabling the indexing service resolves the problem of the Windows Search Protocol Host stopping working.
mathman
Science Advisor
"Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host has stopped working"

I keep getting the above error message (dozens of times a day). I just recently switched to Windows 7. Before that I was on Windows XP.

I did a little search and discovered that this is a chronic problem on Windows Vista. Does anyone know of a solution? What causes it and should I worry about it?

As far as I can tell it is essentially a nuisance - it doesn't appear to interfere with anything I am doing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If memory serves, it is to do with the file indexing service.

You can disable it without consequence through the services menu in the control panel (switch to classic view).

(It supposedly slows down searches but I never noticed.)

Recommend you look up how to disable the indexing service for 7.

JaredJames said:
If memory serves, it is to do with the file indexing service.

You can disable it without consequence through the services menu in the control panel (switch to classic view).

(It supposedly slows down searches but I never noticed.)

Recommend you look up how to disable the indexing service for 7.

Yea, I believe it has to do with indexing also, and the reason you never noticed a difference is because the Windows indexer sucks something fierce. I recommend using this: everything.exe. It indexes everything in your computer perfectly and it searches unbelievably fast. I've been thinking it uses a binary tree algorithm as a search algorithm, but I'm not sure if even one of those is fast enough.

Current status: By doing a system restore to a few days ago the problem went away. However, I needed to update Avast, that was OK, but it asked for a restart. After restart the problem returns. I even tried a fresh copy of Avast, but the problem still returns after restart.

Is everything.exe a Windows system program or do I need to get it?

Never heard of it.

Why is it every time people have problems I hear / read Avast?

JaredJames said:
Never heard of it.

Why is it every time people have problems I hear / read Avast?
I can't answer for the general public. However, my problem, as best as I can determine, appears to be a result of Avast update followed by restart. Each time I do this, the problem recurs and I need to do a system restore.

This is a problem that occurs on Windows 7. Previously I have worked with Windows XP and I never encountered this.

1. What does the "Windows 7 error message" mean?

The "Windows 7 error message" refers to a notification displayed on a computer running the Windows 7 operating system, indicating that there is an issue or problem with the system. The message typically includes an error code and a brief description of the error.

2. Why am I getting a "Windows 7 error message"?

There are various reasons why you may receive a "Windows 7 error message." It could be due to a software or hardware issue, corrupted system files, or a recent update that caused compatibility problems. To determine the exact cause, you may need to troubleshoot or seek assistance from a technical expert.

3. How can I fix a "Windows 7 error message"?

The best way to fix a "Windows 7 error message" depends on the specific error code and its underlying cause. Some common solutions include restarting the computer, running a system scan for malware, updating drivers and software, and performing a system restore to a previous working state. If the issue persists, it is recommended to seek professional help.

4. Can a "Windows 7 error message" be prevented?

While it is impossible to prevent all "Windows 7 error messages," there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering them. These include regularly updating your operating system and software, running antivirus scans, and avoiding downloading or installing suspicious programs.

5. Is a "Windows 7 error message" a cause for concern?

The severity of a "Windows 7 error message" depends on the error code and its impact on the system. Some errors may be minor and can be easily fixed, while others may indicate a more serious issue that requires immediate attention. It is essential to research the specific error code and seek assistance if needed.