Windows '8'

• Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
I did a search and couldnt find a/the thread so I will post here. Your thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

From what ive seen I think i'll stick with 7.

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
It seems that every time (in recent years) that Windows gets updated it makes things worse for the ordinary user. I have recently gone from XP to 7 and almost all changes that I have encountered have made things worse. Examples: windows explorer, wordpad, windows movie maker (This one is so bad that I installed the Vista version which is a slight variation on the XP version), windows media player.

It seems that every time (in recent years) that Windows gets updated it makes things worse for the ordinary user. I have recently gone from XP to 7 and almost all changes that I have encountered have made things worse. Examples: windows explorer, wordpad, windows movie maker (This one is so bad that I installed the Vista version which is a slight variation on the XP version), windows media player.

My thoughts exactly. Ive only ever used Windows, from 3.1 at school to XP, a short use on Vista and now 7; which I am happy with(ish). '8' does not bode well with me after watching that video. Is that the actual OS, have they got rid of the 'normal' desktop and replaced with squares and tiles that slide.

As per the other thread ive just gotten onto Ubuntu and a few months before that I purchased a macbook (which I love right now) a sublime OS.

Evo
Mentor
Sorry, I don't want my computer turned into a big telephone touch pad.

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It seems that every time (in recent years) that Windows gets updated it makes things worse for the ordinary user. I have recently gone from XP to 7 and almost all changes that I have encountered have made things worse.

I've found Windows 7 to be better in EVERY way compared to Windows XP (except maybe required system resources). Are you sure it isn't just because you're used to Windows XP and are (like most people) resistant to change that they didn't define themselves?

Examples: windows explorer, wordpad, windows movie maker (This one is so bad that I installed the Vista version which is a slight variation on the XP version), windows media player.

What specifically in these programs have you found to be worse? I've found Windows Explorer to be better and more useful, and its search functionality is miles better than XP's.

Evolve or die!

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry, I don't want my computer turned into a big telephone touch pad.

The march towards touchscreen interfaces is ever-evolving. We have to remember that what we're seeing is a demo of a beta version of the software, and what he was showing off was a touch-screen-oriented version of the software (when he brought up windows explorer it basically looked like Win7's interface). I suspect Win8 will have an option for the more standard interface for mouse keyboard users (although he does mention the touch interface will be compatible with mouse/keyboard).

I think more than anything they're showing that Win8 will be compatible with tablet devices and touch-screen enabled PC's which are showing a lot of promise these days. I wouldn't mind having a computer with a touch screen the size and shape of a drafting table, especially for work in photo editing or CAD software.

Borek
Mentor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

That's new user interface, not new OS.

I notice he didn't say anything about 64 bit v 32 bit and what of one's existing software investment will run on the new?

Similarly when Vista came out there were a lot of 'Vista ready' pcs that weren't.

And 7 was supposed to run on anything that Vista would, but there were exceptions.
How many pcs (sorry cores) will W8 require to simple stumble, let alone run?

Looking at this from the point of view of the investment in 'the people's network' rolling out W8 implies replacing pretty well all the hardware and software, from 'deep freeze' to the screen.

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I notice he didn't say anything about 64 bit v 32 bit and what of one's existing software investment will run on the new?

This is more of a driver issue than software compatability. I don't think I've run into a program yet that Win 7 64-bit Pro couldn't run...

Looking at this from the point of view of the investment in 'the people's network' rolling out W8 implies replacing pretty well all the hardware and software, from 'deep freeze' to the screen.

My company was reluctant to go Vista, but we are finally upgrading to Win 7 from XP and all I can say is thank god... We've had problems with printer drivers on the 64-bit machines, but that's about it. All of our software licenses include annual maintenance, so having to run legacy software hasn't been a problem (of course it would be posisble to keep legacy computers around if it was...)

This isn't a new problem, in some ways it's much easier than it was in the 80's when there were 20 different CAD environments based on specific OS's and hardware... There's no perfect solution, but people can't run Win XP forever!

mathman
Science Advisor
I've found Windows 7 to be better in EVERY way compared to Windows XP (except maybe required system resources). Are you sure it isn't just because you're used to Windows XP and are (like most people) resistant to change that they didn't define themselves?

What specifically in these programs have you found to be worse? I've found Windows Explorer to be better and more useful, and its search functionality is miles better than XP's.

Evolve or die!
Windows explorer is much slower under windows 7 than under XP. I have two machines (XP and 7) The XP machine hardware is about 4 times slower than the 7 machine, but things like rearranging lists take longer on 7. If explorer were the only thing at issue I wouldn't mind, but the other things are more serious.

Wordpad - editing is much harder, under XP you could tell exactly what can be done and how, the 7 version is much more difficult to navigate.

Windows movie maker - I could never decipher how to do anything with the 7 version.

Windows media player - The image size was much easier to control and the list of items and their running time was readily available under the XP version. In the 7 version, getting the list changes the image sizes, and also when running a sequence of videos the list has to be recalled at each change.

There was a wonderful program called Design View that ran under W3.1.

I have never been able to get it to work properly on later versions and never seen the like again.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't think I've run into a program yet that Win 7 64-bit Pro couldn't run...

I have not looked into this for quite a while, but it was announced some time back that as of Windows 8, any program written in VB6 would not just be not supported (they aren't supported in windows 7 but they run) they will not run. This may not be too much of an issue for most individual users, but it will be a HUGE deal for some companies if it is in fact the way that Microsoft chooses to go.

Stuff like this pretty much HAS to happen over time since companies can't keep old anchors around their neck forever.

If Windows 8 for standard laptops is like the one shown in the video, I will happily stick to Windows 7.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I did a search and couldnt find a/the thread so I will post here. Your thoughts
When your search turned up no discussion about it, did that not in-and-of-itself speak our thoughts? :wink:

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Windows 8 is an exercise in corporate greed. Windows 7 is a technological marvel. It efficiently utilizes 64 bit processing, which allows the operating system to catch up with hardware capabilities. In the 'old' days, windows 8 would have been called SP1.