Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows bookmark icon

1. Jul 18, 2004 #1

Janitor

Science Advisor

Sometimes the bookmark for this Physics Forum has a square root icon that shows up in my Favorites list. But other times the icon is generic looking, like most of the other icons in my Favorites. What makes it change?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Jul 18, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

Thanks. I am using IE. Do you know of any downside to Firefox?

5. Jul 18, 2004 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Some online banking sites only work with IE. I personally haven't had any trouble with this, but it is a problem to some. Also Windows updates only works with IE. But this isn't such a big deal since you can't get rid of IE anyway. Just run IE when you need to update windows.

6. Jul 18, 2004 #5

Janitor

Science Advisor

Alright then!

7. Jul 18, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The icon is actually the generic vBulletin icon. It's not a square root, it's a vee.

Also, most browsers don't save the site icons on disk -- the first time you look at the site, its icon will be downloaded and stored for that session. The next time you start the browser up, though, it'll be gone again. I think Firefox does this too.

- Warren

8. Jul 18, 2004 #7

Janitor

Science Advisor

Vee, okay. But I will say it is a vee with an extra bar sticking out to the left from the left prong of the vee, and with the right prong being taller than the left prong.

9. Jul 18, 2004 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I've bookmarked many sites in firefox that have the the little icon and it always keeps the picture in the bookmarks folder

10. Jul 18, 2004 #9

Janitor

Science Advisor

With IE, my fancier bookmark icons eventually turn into lower case "e"s until I clear things out and start over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?