Negative powers on the Windows calculator

In summary, to calculate negative powers on the Windows calculator, you would use the x^y button and input the base number, followed by the exponent in parentheses, and then the multiplication sign and the coefficient. This method should work on all versions of the Windows calculator as it has not changed significantly in appearance or function throughout various Windows releases.
questions_uk
Hi. How would you go about doing negative powers on the windows calculator? For example if you wanted to calculate 10 x 10 ^ - 3 x 2 for example what input would you use on the windows calculator? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I doubt this is a homework question so here is the answer.

10 * 10 x^y ( - 3)*2

These are the buttons you press.

Are you sure that works on all versions of Windows?

jacksonpeeble said:

Who would know? Try it with some test values.

jacksonpeeble said:
The Windows calculator (calc.exe) hasn't changed its appearance for many releases of Windows (maybe back to Windows 3 or before), and I doubt that its inner workings have changed, either. It would be very surprising to me to find that you got a different result on two different Windows versions.

1. What is the purpose of the Windows Calculator?

The Windows Calculator is a basic calculator application that allows users to perform simple mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Can the Windows Calculator perform more advanced functions?

Yes, the Windows Calculator also has advanced functions such as square root, percentage, and trigonometric functions like sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. How accurate is the Windows Calculator?

The Windows Calculator uses 64-bit precision, making it extremely accurate for most calculations. However, for more complex calculations, it may have some margin of error.

4. Can I customize the Windows Calculator?

Yes, the Windows Calculator has several customization options such as changing the color theme, changing the number of decimal places displayed, and adding keyboard shortcuts for faster calculations.

5. Is the Windows Calculator available on all versions of Windows?

Yes, the Windows Calculator is a built-in application and is available on all versions of Windows, including Windows 10, 8, and 7.