Windows freezing up for anybody else?

In summary: Windows will fill disks up eventually with updates, temp files, WER directory entries, and all manner of other overhead.
jim hardy said:
when one drive is busy OS can use the other?
Nah, when the primary Page File is full it overflows to the second one.

As an adjunct to Task Manager, you might try Process Explorer. It reports much more info on the processes. Though Task Manager is better for other than the processes.
https://www.google.com/search?source=&q=process+explorer

Computer science news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:

One would hope that the OS would share the load between all allocated swap devices. Do common ones actually just overflow like you say?

BoB

I don't think this is true anymore, From what I've heard post 2008 windows will use the pagefile on the drive with the least IO.

I swap on a single SSD these days, so I can't verify but you can use perfmon to monitor the individual pagefiles and find out for yourself.

rbelli1 said:
One would hope that the OS would share the load between all allocated swap devices. Do common ones actually just overflow like you say?
AFAIK, yes. I was 95% sure that I ran across it in MS documentation I have but couldn't find. Then I spent the last 1.5 hours looking for it online and could only find some dodgy, conflicting, references to Win2000; but some entries were only 2 yrs. old. One said to make multiple Page Files in different subdirectories on the same disk, another don't put them on the same disk, a third said put them on disks connected to different controllers so if one is busy the next controller can be used. All on the MS site. Not much help.

XP info is getting hard to obtain. Even some MS pages will flash the content then immediately replace it with a message "This Content Is Not Available."

Arrgh!

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
Much of it is Greek to me
Yeah, me too... mine's a lot different than yours though ?

Resource Moitor.JPG

So is my Task Manager... after this latest update, it shows the GPUs.
Windows 10 -- Version 1709.

Task Manager.JPG

Lol...
"I'm taking little white pills, and my eyes are open wide..." Dave Dudley

Attachments

• Resource Moitor.JPG
    Resource Moitor.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Task Manager.JPG
    Task Manager.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 274
Likes jim hardy
rbelli1 said:
esrv.exe is a Sony thing. Complain to them if it is causing problems. Conhost.exe should rarely run so if it is constantly running you have a problem with some other software doing something wrong.

Amongst the problems that Microsoft has I don't believe that either of these things are their fault.

Conhost.exe on constantly would indicate some software misbehaving. Whether it is malware or just common crap software is not certain. What was the last thing you installed?

Intel's Driver Update Server seems to be that troublemaker. Found an entry at Microsoft support that said to uninstall it would fix an ESRV error, but i wasn't getting that error..
So i uninstalled it anyway (after letting it fix a compatibility issue it claimed to have found) , immediately the ESRV and CONHOSTS disappeared from Task Manager.

Machine runs a LOT better since.

So i think it's an INTEL thing - i have nothing SONY except a TV and dvd player. Hmmm dvd player is connected to router by ethernet so as to get Netflix...

Next step is increase memory.
Today I Learned that Resource Monitor's "Hard Fault" isn't memory errors it's accesses to virtual memory on disk, swapping overlays i guess...
Wow - more memory should really reduce disk seeks i wonder how the drives lasted this long !

Thanks Guys - you are increasing my vocabulary exponentially.

old jim

Laptop is back home now with afresh install of Windows 7.

Here's what 2 more G of ram does

upload_2017-10-27_16-29-8.png

sigh now have to fix touchpad driver to disable tapping and a few other things...

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-27_16-29-8.png
    upload_2017-10-27_16-29-8.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 456
Seeing the scrollbar as it is suggests to me that you still have way too many processes running.
I have Windows 7 as well, but I have way less - and I have both Firefox and Chrome running.
Either way, I'm not surprised if 2 GiB more memory over 2 GiB will improve your user experience (I have 8 GiB myself privately and 16 GiB at my job - and at my job I need it).

Actually, your dialog looks more primitive than I'd expect from Windows 7.
How did you get that dialog?
If I use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the task manager I get:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/951d296c9llnbvx/taskmanager.png
(Tried to insert it as an image, but that doesn't seem to work anymore - not sure why.)

I like Serena said:
Actually, your dialog looks more primitive than I'd expect from Windows 7.
How did you get that dialog?

Control-Alt-Delete then 'start task manager'
gives this , i selected it part screen so it wouldn't get shrunk unduly when posted here
TaskMgrApps.jpg

them selecting 'processes' gives this horrendously long list of heaven knows what
TaskMgrProcesses.jpg
'Services' gives this equally chaotic pile
TaskmgrServices.jpg

'Performance' yields this
TaskmgrPerformance.jpg

and 'resource monitor' brings up the one you asked about
taskmgrResourceMon.jpg

Any of them can be expanded to full screen
Being not a software guy
I just assume Windows is thousands of programs running interleaved
and the miracle is NOT that it can execute for a few hours at a time but that it can execute once.old jim

Attachments

• TaskMgrProcesses.jpg
    TaskMgrProcesses.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 400
  • TaskmgrServices.jpg
    TaskmgrServices.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 423
  • TaskmgrPerformance.jpg
    TaskmgrPerformance.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 413
  • taskmgrResourceMon.jpg
    taskmgrResourceMon.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 396
  • TaskMgrApps.jpg
    TaskMgrApps.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 419
Ah okay.
It looks as if you're using some kind of 'retro' theme, which doesn't really matter.
Your list of processes looks okay after all.
And it looks like you made a good choice to increase the memory to 4 GiB.

jim hardy said:
I just assume Windows is thousands of programs running interleaved
and the miracle is NOT that it can execute for a few hours at a time but that it can execute once.

Don't ask how sausage is made unless you have a strong stomache.

BoB

Likes jim hardy
rbelli1 said:
Don't ask how sausage or laws are is made unless you have a strong stomache.

Jim, I've noticed you have a lot of computer problems nobody else has. Have you thought of scrapping everything and starting from scratch? It's a lot of work, but you seem to be spending a lot of time dealing with things not working. This may be the most efficient in the long run.

Vanadium 50 said:
Jim, I've noticed you have a lot of computer problems nobody else has.
Largely my own ignorance i think. I lack the interest in Windows to learn it thoroughly.
Vanadium 50 said:
Have you thought of scrapping everything and starting from scratch? It's a lot of work, but you seem to be spending a lot of time dealing with things not working. This may be the most efficient in the long run.

It's been software issues. The one hardware failure I've had was easy to fix just a broken power pin on motherboard.
Buying a new system i think would be a temporary fix just until its software too gets terminal update poisoning.

I do intend to put together a Linux system - doing that i'll hopefully learn my way around its operating system so won't be so helpless.

More memory will i think get a couple more years out if this desktop.

But getting around to things is a problem for me . Fear of being bored causes me to stack up projects.
And i was raised in the "waste not want not' era . Everywhere i look is some interesting machine i have rescued 'to fix up. '
to wit: engines for son's boat project
motors2Resized_cropped.jpg

Detroit Diesels for 30 cents a pound - who could pass that up ?
and a wound rotor 3 phase induction motor (it was 7 cents a pound)
and a classic 3 cylinder Johnson outboard
and a Porsche engine in there someplace

'Tis a fine madness though.
To get focused on the computer I will have to take an evening course at local CC i think.

Seriously,
Thanks folks for all the help you gave. I really appreciate it and have benefited greatly.
PF is a quality place and I'm honored to be among you .

old jim

Attachments

• motors2Resized_cropped.jpg
    motors2Resized_cropped.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 462
jim hardy said:
"waste not want not' era
...except for the bank account and storage space. :smile:

(I have the same tendency but have learned a bit of restraint...thanks to the wifes 'encouragement.')

jim hardy said:
It's been software issues. The one hardware failure I've had was easy to fix just a broken power pin on motherboard.
Buying a new system i think would be a temporary fix just until its software too gets terminal update poisoning.
You don't have to buy new hardware. You can just reformat the drive and do a clean install of the OS. This should clean up whatever software problems that have accumulated in the machine.

I have seen many people complaining of sick computers over the years. It's common to blame the manufacturer or blame windows or blame whatever. But often the issue is that the user (sorry jim) did not perform proper maintenance and upkeep of the machine. Computers, like any other machine, need proper care to continue to function normally.

I think the issues you are having mostly stem from allowing software to install a lot of add-ons that are bogging down your system. For some reason, it has become popular among software companies to create software which tries to install other trial software. You will notice this as you click through the software's install program that it may say something like "would you also like to install name of some crappy trialware goes here". Always say no to this during install and keep an eye on what is running in the background. If you see a program running and you don't know what it is, look it up to make sure its not important and if its not, then get rid of it.

Likes Tom.G
NFuller said:
For some reason, it has become popular among software companies to create software which tries to install other trial software.
I DETEST those presumptuous marketeering tactics.
Advertising industry is the bane of Western Civilization. Exposing children to continual lies warps their value system. We're seeing the societal effects now as second generation of 'Raised by TV' kids move into their power years.
----------------- End Rant---------------------------------------------

I understand that Systems folks always blame the user and users always blame the operating system. It's human nature to mistrust whatever is unfamiliar to us..

Actually I'm real careful to NOT let stuff install. If that's a requirement of some page I'm looking at i just close the window and forego it.
when something sneaks in i uninstall it.
and i run frequent virus scans.
Here's what's on this machine (hmmm id forgot about the time i tried djvu, it'll be uninstalled in a few minutes)
upload_2017-10-28_8-52-47.png

Windows Ten DID sneak in and self install one night but i was able to make it go back to this 7 I'm running now..

Getting Windows 7 back on the laptop was a good investigative step.
Comparing its performance with 4G of memory to this desktop's with 2G makes clear the effect of that extra RAM.
I can see on Resource Monitor the difference in disk traffic just loading PF pages .

I think my current troubles were from :
1. a corrupted Intel display driver that, to fix, required downloading and installing another Intel program with a bug that caused my ESRV issue.
Uninstalling that one cured ESRV and freed up about a half-G of memory, which on this machine is 25%.
2. Not enough memory. Some recent Windows update makes it need more memory than i have. Since fixing ESRV issue It limps along running on a restore point from before that update ,
when my local shop opens Monday and i get more RAM i'll perhaps let Windows update again...
Will see if i have enough slots for 8G.

It's running much better now than when i started this thread - and I've learned a lot.

HEARTFELT THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED !

PS i do have a Windows 7 disk , might try that clean install.
It's terribly intimidating to contemplate .Do you get awarded 'wings' for achieving that ?

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-28_8-52-47.png
    upload_2017-10-28_8-52-47.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 519
Likes NFuller
jim hardy said:
It's terribly intimidating to contemplate .Do you get awarded 'wings' for achieving that ?
Unfortunately no, just the satisfaction that you managed to do it without bricking your computer:smile:. Rebuilding the OS is always a pain, but sometimes various software and settings just get so messed up that you need to start over.
jim hardy said:
Comparing its performance with 4G of memory to this desktop's with 2G makes clear the effect of that extra RAM.
Oh, I didn't realize you only had 2GB of RAM. Windows 7 generally requires a minimum of 4GB to run smoothly and Windows 10 needs a little more. So if you are going to buy more RAM, I think it would be helpful.

Likes jim hardy
jim hardy said:
This machine is several years old now. i think i got it Summer of 2010 and 2G seemed a lot back then.
Which makes it a bit over 7 years old. That's a long time for a laptop computer. If it were me I would be thinking of getting a new computer sometime in the not-too-distant future. My desktop computer is about 4 years old, and I'm thinking of getting a new one, not because I'm having any problems with the present one, but to keep up with the state of the art in CPU features, especially 512-bit AVX registers.

Consider dual booting first and/or switching entirely to Linux. I'd suggest a virtual machine but your pc/laptop might not support it. Pick an easy to learn and use lightweight distribution such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
You'd still have/be able to install Firefox, Thunderbird and other programs in your list. Also note that OpenOffice was last updated almost 7 years ago, nowadays the deal is with LibreOffice.
Then you won't need an anti virus and the bloat will be much lesser than on Windows.

Linux is just a vulnerable if not more vulnerable to malware and viruses , check exploitdb website if you want more information.
Most Linus distros end up having the same exploits and can take more than 3 years before they are addressed.
I've been using Linux since '95 and have a lot of respect for the developers and distro management teams, but they understandably aren't as responsive as professional OS developers, and you are fooling yourself if you think they aren't vulnerable to infection.

I'm thinking more memory might fix this old desktop . It's run quite well since the last tweak - uninstalled that Intel update server AFTER replacing an Intel graphic driver that was either corrupted or outdated i don't know which.

I guess the sad truth is to really own any machine you have to learn its workings thoroughly. Windows is more than i want to dive into so i'll just get my feet wet enough to keep it running. Seventy five bucks gets a new copy installed (and a new hard drive) at my local shop. And i have a Windows 7 Pro disk - i should be set for another decade.

Appeal of Linux is learning it well enough to claim ownership of the computer.

Thanks for the help and observations, all !

old jim