Which Operating System is Your Favorite?

In summary, Windows is better because it is more versatile. Macs have some great features, but Windows is more reliable.

Which one

• Windows, resistance is futile

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Mac, think different

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • GNU/Linux, free as in freedom

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
JamesU
Gold Member
which one do you like?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not answering because there's no appropriate choice. I use a Mac because I'm smart enough to avoid Windows. :biggrin: (I'm not much into widows either. :tongue:) And you're just begging for Franz to come in and educate you on the joys of Linux! :rolleyes:

If I had the money I would try out a mac, but I am poor and am stuck with windows.

I still don't know how you can exist without right clicking

I use Windows, and I'm awesome. The two are unrelated, by the way.
I'm not too fond of widows, mind.

I use Windows because I couldn't afford a Mac. I use iApplications where possible (I love iTunes soo much). I'd like to have a Powerbook or something, but I'd be scared that people thought I was showing off (which is why I hide my iPod). I like Apple hardware.

On the other hand, I'm perfectly content with Windows, but that's probably because I spent hours after installation getting everything justright.

I can't believe I've entered into a "Windows vs Mac" thread.

Every time I use mac I end up getting confused because it's so unlike the precious windows

Yeah how do mac users right click? Is there such a thing as mouse gestures on a mac? How do I play minesweeper on a mac? Considering these are two of my computer necessities, I am not sure if I could switch even if I had the money.

Precious Windows? Who are you working for? I'm in shock.

precious Windows whatever...

and halo on a mac is only a 16 bit shooter game that's not haloesque!

http://www.projectwasted.com/phpnuke/media/Commercials/MacSucks.wmv.jpg
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~sturdiva/unofficial/otherpics/Mac%20sucks/crazyapple.gif
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~sturdiva/unofficial/otherpics/Mac%20sucks/unhappymac.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you could get multiple buttoned Mac mouses?

no, just one annoying button

Not true. I have a trackball with 4 buttons that I can plug into my mac and use all 4 buttons plus the trackball.

Ha! I have a mouse with 6 buttons and a wheel. pwned

mattmns said:
Yeah how do mac users right click? Is there such a thing as mouse gestures on a mac? How do I play minesweeper on a mac? Considering these are two of my computer necessities, I am not sure if I could switch even if I had the money.
But Mac users get Widgets! :biggrin: (I have to get Tiger! *jumps up and down excitedly*)

Smurf said:
Ha! I have a mouse with 6 buttons and a wheel. pwned
:frown: Now I'm jealous! I've never even seen a mouse with 6 buttons before. I want a 6 button mouse! :cry: I'll send my kitten out hunting for one. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I have to get Tiger! *jumps up and down excitedly*

Someone's been playing under the power cables again...

What's your computer useful for?

Hmm I did a quick search and found mouse gestures for mac. For minesweeper I could always learn to not flag.

mattmns said:
Hmm I did a quick search and found mouse gestures for mac.
Really? Cool. Which software uses those? I never really looked because it didn't sound like anything I'd likely use. I have enough trouble remembering the keyboard shortcuts I created for Word. :uhh:
For minesweeper I could always learn to not flag.
This is why mac users are so much more productive. No minesweeper to waste hours and hours playing (minesweeper was my addiction in the days before I had internet access; the withdrawal is rough when you first realize you don't have that or solitaire on your computer, but you do get over it.) :tongue:

Frankly, I think that all computers are useful for is being useful. If you want to play minesweeper why not play soccer? If you want to waste time why not learn pine sculpture with chainsaws?

Why am I wasting my time?

BicycleTree said:
If you want to play minesweeper why not play soccer?
Because I want to play minesweeper!

MB is right though, I would get used to it after a while.

I only have three buttons and a scrollwheel. :frown:

edit: I prefer FreeBSD, I'm using Linux at the moment, and when I'm in school I like to play with the G5 PowerMacs. Soooooo fast... except when they crash (about once every 90 minutes of usage - what's up with that?). I also have Windows 2000 on my hard drive (for DVD watching), I don't go online with it.

I use Windows, I voted Mac, I hate Linux or any Unix for that matter.

*nix is the biggest waste of time for humanity in general. I want my wasted teenage years returned back to me when I wasted it on that piece of ****. And as far as Windows is concerned - I wish somebody would sue them everytime their computer crashed, but since this is a relatively new thing to actually have software on your computer, let alone a computer, people are just ready to have whatever they can get their hands on.

If you have a craving to waste your time on something, instead of playing with *nix, try QNX. At least you'll feel like a real man for once. Right.

cronxeh, you are aware that OSX is based on Unix?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

People swear by Linux so i might as well go with the crowd.

I use windows just because, as you pointed out, resistance is futile

yes I'm well aware its based on Darwin/BSD. I was actually excited first time around I got my hands on OS X 9 something and went into console there (although they claim it was from Mac OS version 10)

Last edited:
*nix is the biggest waste of time for humanity in general. I want my wasted teenage years returned back to me when I wasted it on that piece of ****. And as far as Windows is concerned - I wish somebody would sue them everytime their computer crashed, but since this is a relatively new thing to actually have software on your computer, let alone a computer, people are just ready to have whatever they can get their hands on.

If you have a craving to waste your time on something, instead of playing with *nix, try QNX. At least you'll feel like a real man for once. Right.

Who said anything about 'playing'? I use *nix on a PC because it's very functional - I have LaTeX and Perl and gcc, as well as the usual office apps (FREE), and a heck of a lot fewer bugs than Windows. Trying out RH, I didn't even have to install anything extra, other than Firefox.

There is no doubt FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD (and not Linux) is great for most workstation and server applications - memory management, disk access, multiple CPU, etc, but for everyday browsing and mp3 listening its a waste of time. I have my server dusting up in the corner with FBSD 5.4 installed - but I have absolutely no use for any of the 'free' software - I already use OpenOffice for office suite, and there is no need for perl or gcc to be run on my poor laptop - I can always use my university's server which has Sun OS on it and compile anything I'd ever need without having to waste money on dual processors or memory

Oh and don't get me started with getting wine/winex to work properly to run Windows apps. Its like wow, over so many years you'd think the Linux community would get something to work properly and without a hickup. Nope. Never happened

Last edited:
rachmaninoff said:
Who said anything about 'playing'? I use *nix on a PC because it's very functional - I have LaTeX and Perl and gcc, as well as the usual office apps (FREE), and a heck of a lot fewer bugs than Windows. Trying out RH, I didn't even have to install anything extra, other than Firefox.
I have a friend who uses Linux. He says that it takes forever to figure out how to run certain programs that aren't readily compatible. Ofcourse that may also be because he doesn't have it set up in the basic configuration (or what ever it's called).
Not to savy on computers myself but I would definitely like to learn more and one day run my computer on an OS other than windows.

There is no doubt FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD (and not Linux) is great for most workstation and server applications - memory management, disk access, multiple CPU, etc, but for everyday browsing and mp3 listening its a waste of time.

Well that's *BSD was mostly intended for. I'm just saying it also works just fine for PC users - and I don't see anything wrong with the web browsing. I don't do any gaming, so it's practical.

who changet the voting? it was upposed to be a joke :mad:

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have a friend who uses Linux. He says that it takes forever to figure out how to run certain programs that aren't readily compatible. Ofcourse that may also be because he doesn't have it set up in the basic configuration (or what ever it's called).
Not to savy on computers myself but I would definitely like to learn more and one day run my computer on an OS other than windows.
I've never played with Linux. I'm going to have to get my paws on someone's computer with it just to see what it even looks/feels like. The transition from Windows to MacOS is pretty easy, and I used to use both regularly. Then again, I've been using both for ages. I actually had a harder time switching from OS 9.2 to OS X than I've had going between Mac and Windows. It took me a while to figure out where things were in OS X because they all had different names and very different places. But I haven't a clue what Linux even looks like let alone how easy it is to use.

ive used a mac for years as my first computer. then i got a pc and it blew the mac out of the water. they both crashed about the same so macs arnt more stable imo. the main thing that sucks about macs though is the limited software. there are no good games on macs lol :(. and they still keep making them with 1 button mice. i couldn't live with less then 5 buttons on my mouse. i still have the old mac in my room and i think I am gona blow it up one day rofl