1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows QuickLaunch sorting

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    Hey guys, you know the Windows QuickLaunch bar? It's the little thing by the Start Button. For some reason on my WinXP system it would not maintain the order that I sorted them by (I like my Firefox, then Show Desktop, mp3 folder, then WinAmp).

I'd sort them, but upon each reboot they would be set back to the order I did not like. So I figured something out :) I saw they seemed to be in alphabetical order by their name, so I renamed them so that they would sort by alphabetical order, and sure enough they do :) Now I can maintain the order I want. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it was fun to figure out.

Is there a way to do this without doing what I did?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2004 #2
    It might be that you are lacking permission to alter the desktop. Though, in that case, I'd wonder why it lets you change the names.

Would this happpen to be a computer. That multiple people log into using different logins?

4. May 11, 2004 #3
    Or you can just right-click on the Icons in the start menu and select: Pin to Start Menu, so it's permanent.

5. May 14, 2004 #4
    Firstly, he's asking about the quicklaunch taskbar, not the start menu. Secondly, I've never heard of "Pin to Start Menu". I have XP, and I don't have that option.

6. May 14, 2004 #5
    You just heard now. There's always a first time for everything.

Go to Start, right click on any icon there and one of the option would say Pin to Start Menu

7. May 14, 2004 #6
    I don't have that. I've done a lot of right-clicking in my time, and I haven't come across that ever. What version of Windows do you use?

8. May 14, 2004 #7
    Yeah, I don't have that "Pin to Start Menu" either. It's probably some add on he did or something.

9. May 14, 2004 #8
    I have Windows XP. It's a feature, I did not add or modify anything.

Check out the screenshot
    YICS

EDIT - It only works on the icons in the 'Start' button

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  10. May 14, 2004 #9
    OK. I had my start menu set win Win98 style. When I set it to XP style, non-folder items in the Programs group had that option.

11. May 14, 2004 #10
    It's nifty. You can also Disable the very annoying Error reporting feature, but that would be on another thread :)

12. May 23, 2004 #11
    The Right Question

Ok, let's ask the right Q...when one wouldn't be caught dead w/ the stupid WinXP look and puke, how does one keep the QuickLaunch icons from rearranging themselves?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?