Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows QuickLaunch sorting

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    Hey guys, you know the Windows QuickLaunch bar? It's the little thing by the Start Button. For some reason on my WinXP system it would not maintain the order that I sorted them by (I like my Firefox, then Show Desktop, mp3 folder, then WinAmp).

I'd sort them, but upon each reboot they would be set back to the order I did not like. So I figured something out :) I saw they seemed to be in alphabetical order by their name, so I renamed them so that they would sort by alphabetical order, and sure enough they do :) Now I can maintain the order I want. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it was fun to figure out.

Is there a way to do this without doing what I did?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2004 #2
    It might be that you are lacking permission to alter the desktop. Though, in that case, I'd wonder why it lets you change the names.

Would this happpen to be a computer. That multiple people log into using different logins?

4. May 11, 2004 #3
    Or you can just right-click on the Icons in the start menu and select: Pin to Start Menu, so it's permanent.

5. May 14, 2004 #4
    Firstly, he's asking about the quicklaunch taskbar, not the start menu. Secondly, I've never heard of "Pin to Start Menu". I have XP, and I don't have that option.

6. May 14, 2004 #5
    You just heard now. There's always a first time for everything.

Go to Start, right click on any icon there and one of the option would say Pin to Start Menu

7. May 14, 2004 #6
    I don't have that. I've done a lot of right-clicking in my time, and I haven't come across that ever. What version of Windows do you use?

8. May 14, 2004 #7
    Yeah, I don't have that "Pin to Start Menu" either. It's probably some add on he did or something.

9. May 14, 2004 #8
    I have Windows XP. It's a feature, I did not add or modify anything.

Check out the screenshot
    YICS

EDIT - It only works on the icons in the 'Start' button

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  10. May 14, 2004 #9
    OK. I had my start menu set win Win98 style. When I set it to XP style, non-folder items in the Programs group had that option.

11. May 14, 2004 #10
    It's nifty. You can also Disable the very annoying Error reporting feature, but that would be on another thread :)

12. May 23, 2004 #11
    The Right Question

Ok, let's ask the right Q...when one wouldn't be caught dead w/ the stupid WinXP look and puke, how does one keep the QuickLaunch icons from rearranging themselves?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?