When will Windows Vista finally be released?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, Microsoft is delaying Vista to January 2007 in order to make sure it's a better product. They're also shaking up the Windows leadership, and the programmers working for Microsoft aren't happy about it.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Here is the official press release:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx

Businesses will be able to get Vista this November while everyone else will have to wait until January 2007.

It was supposed to be released in the fall of 2006, just in time for the holidays, but it isn't going to work out that way.

On a related note, the next version of OS X is still on target to be released this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
dduardo said:
Businesses will be able to get Vista this November while everyone else will have to wait until January 2007.
Why do businesses get it frist?Do they have to pay more because of commical lincening and they get it eariler because MS wants to make more money of the commical lincen then everone elese and they want to make sure there's more copies for them.

It's strange that businesses are getting it first because the reason Microsoft says they are delaying Vista is over security concerns.

They are going to go out of business because of this one. The competition is going to eat them alive.

They are going to go out of business because of this one. The competition is going to eat them alive.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MSFT&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

yeh right! :rolleyes:

With a Quaterly PROFIT of nearly 3 Billion I don't think so... Maybe there will be changes, but I can't see M$ going out of business any time soon

Dude, I am telling you. They are going under within the next 3 to 6 months.

What the heck happened with that anti-trust case? I thought they were forced to start another company to compete with, or allow another company to take over so much of the market to create competition, or something along those lines.
Wasn't the rulling something like that or were they just ordered to pay fines?

Exactly why do you think that?

Think what, that they will go under?

yes... back up your statements with some facts...

They will go out of business because of all of the stiff competition. I was just kidding. Get it? They barely have competition. Haha. Funny, funny.

dduardo said:
It's strange that businesses are getting it first because the reason Microsoft says they are delaying Vista is over security concerns.

Actually, I think its hilarious. Either they're lying about why they're delaying, the business version has a different codebase, or more likely, they don't actually care about the security of their customers.

Moonbear, you spoke too soon. Office is now official delayed until 2007:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1942069,00.asp

---------------------

There is also a lot of buzz on the internet today about another possible Vista development reset. Microsoft is even bringing in people from the Xbox team to help out:

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

The last reset was a few years ago when they switched from the windows xp code base to the windows 2003 code base.

------------------

The programmers working for Microsoft aren't that happy either:

"Basically we do not believe Vista will make January 2007 or even March 2007. Anyone with any access knows what a frankenstein's monster NT is on the inside. At some point there is a law of diminishing returns trying to do anything to it at all, it seems like that limit is being reached today. The release is pushed back because of bugs but fixing those bugs will create more bugs. It is just godawful to be honest. And the process gets in the way at every step.At some point we will have to do something and i know at least some in my team privately agree with me. We will have to throw out everything and start again. This is what Apple did with OSX, and sure it was painful, but it worked and now they're kicking our asses. We should have done that in 2000. Now it is even more obvious we should do it. Start again and just run a compatibility layer on top. Apple did it with classic why can't we?

IF we manage to ship vista at ALL then it is a miracle and the absolute last rev we can possible do working like this. It is insane the manhours wasted rearranging a house of cards. We need to START AGAIN PEOPLE.

I honestly do not believe we can ship another OS in this way. Either we do an OSX or Vista is the end of the line, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!

And BTW mini PLEASE enable https on your comments page. You would have to be nuts to post here from inside the network via plain http. Anyone else wants to do it, do what i do, email the comment (encrypted) to a friend and get him to post it. Anyone who thinks SMG doesn't have a filter looking at anything to or from minimsft is kidding themselves."

==========

"Being a 10 year vet I feel ashamed and sad. This company is a mess on so many levels."

==========

"Vista is a disaster. The "reset" you mention is nothing less than a FAILURE to SHIP. What you're working on now isn't Longhorn, it's SP4. Don't kid yourself.
If you want to salvage your career, flee to Office, or better yet, get the heck out of the company before it all collapses."

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2006/03/vista-2007-fire-leadership-now.html

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It is looking more and more like another Windows ME disaster, or even possibly worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a new computer with XP SP2 installed.

When I bought my old computer I jumped to ME as it was just out. Won't do that again. Also, a few months later when I installed XP in place of ME, my software warranty was void. Anyway, at this point I allow about a year before for going with major upgrades.

I got a Windows Vista copy from MSDN but the serial didn't work, so i couldn't preview it. I will try again when i have the time.

None of that is surprising. Vista was originally supposed to ship in '04 ? (I believe, maybe it was '05). They've already dropped every real new feature as of late last year, leaving only MASSIVE new MINIMUM requirements and a shiny new interface to waste those required resources on. Oh and "security" too. They finally took care of that. Right?

I certainly wouldn't say that the company is in any immediate financial danger, but if they don't pull a hail mary on this, they are going to be badly injured strategically. Especially if this ends like ME (or worse). They're going to lose a lot of credibility with how much they've staked on Vista, and how long it would take them to start from scratch. Think of the boat they're in. They can't do what Apple did and grab a UNIX base for a new OS, they'd lose all credibility among what brand loyalists they have. Well maybe not, given how sheepish such people are. The next few years are going to be very interesting for them, strategically. Gates is a brilliant businessman, I think it will be interesting to see what he does to handle it. If he's grown weak and ineffectual through his own success, accustomed to not having to compete, or if he'll be able to pull together, show strong leadership and maintain dominance. It'll be very interesting indeed.

The Windows NT Kernel is not as bad as people might have you believe, but I'm not an expert in this matter, i only took one Operating Systems course. Maybe some expert will come around here and enlighten me.

NT is ok, it is a true multiuser enviroment, although not many people treat it that way...

This thread is funny, they have delayed a release due to some incompitant project managment, and we have people saying that M$ will go bankrupt, we have links to sites predicting that M$ will "throw away" uncountable manhours of work because of a perception that the code base is bad...

I'll reserve judgement until I see some actual facts rather than hearsay!

It probabaly wouldn't be a bad thing for me or any other IT proffesional if M$ lost a lot of market share, at least the market would open up, and more technology would come out and thus more work ;) BUT i doubt that is going to happen... Anyway the merger of Alcitel and Lucent is more interesting to me (off topic I know, sorry)

I just want DX10 to come out.

1. Why has Windows Vista been delayed again?

There are a variety of reasons why Windows Vista has faced multiple delays. These include technical challenges, changes in leadership, and a desire to ensure the product meets high standards before release.

2. When was the original release date for Windows Vista?

The original release date for Windows Vista was set for 2004, but it was pushed back multiple times until its final release in 2007.

3. Will the delay affect the features of Windows Vista?

The delay did impact some features of Windows Vista, as certain aspects had to be cut or altered in order to meet the new release date. However, the core features and functionality remained intact.

4. How will the delay affect the overall success of Windows Vista?

The delay may have had some impact on the initial success of Windows Vista, as it faced criticism for being released later than promised. However, the success of a product ultimately depends on its quality and user satisfaction, which can only be determined over time.

5. Is this the first time Windows has faced delays?

No, Windows has faced delays in the past with previous versions such as Windows 95, Windows XP, and Windows 7. The development of complex software is often subject to delays as unforeseen issues arise during the process.