Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows Vista Website

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1

Staff Emeritus

You can find the new site here:

Microsoft seems to set on the whole glass look because they have plenty of screenshots.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Can't say i like the new look very much. I did see a cool feature though:

4. Jan 5, 2006 #3
    I think it looks quiet good... But its gonna be Resource HEAVY!!
  5. Jan 5, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

I'm getting a free version of Windows Vista from MSDNAA, i'll let you know what i think of it.
  6. Jan 5, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus

Microsoft gave a presention on the lastest Vista build during a keynote in yesterdays CES International. Here is a list of the features they talked about:

1) Glass
    2) Taskbar Previews
    3) Task Switching (Alt+tab and flip 3d)
    4) Sidebar
    5) Start Menu Search
    6) Quick Tabs
    7) Parental Controls
    8) Image/Video Preview
    9) Basic Image Editing and backup of original file
    10) Slideshow
    11) Windows Media Player
    12) Stacked Music Folders
    13) Music Search
    14) Integrated MTV Music Store in WMP

Here is my thought on the features:

1) Glass, flip 3d and the sidebar are just gimicks. I never use dashboard so I won't use the sidebar.

2) The taskbar previews idea doesn't really work with grouped application windows and is sort of gimicky

3)Alt+tab previews can be done using windows xp power toys.

4)The start menu search is as useful as spotlight by the clock. I never click on the button to use it.

5) Quick tabs is eh. The effort to switch to quick tabs mode and then pick the tab you want is too much compared to just looking at the titles of the tabs

6) Parental Control doesn't effect me

7) Image/Video Preview - Don't I see previews already in windows xp? The added information is pretty useless compared to the picture itself. I also don't need full motion video playback during preview. A screenshot is enough

8) Basic image editing built in is ok, but I would still use photoshop. Saving the original picture is a bit concerning. They better have a way to turn that off.

9) Slideshow - oooh, now with pretty borders. 3d party applications make this easy in windows xp

10) WMP - great, now I can sort and search by genre, album, group, etc. Whoop-dee-do. I can do that in itunes in windows xp.

11) Stacked music folders is a gimick.

12) Integrated music store = buy more stuff from microsoft

Overall i'm not impressed.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  7. Jan 5, 2006 #6
    And they still cling to that tired excuse of a security policy. But wait, I get glass windows and a neato music store!

Or I can shop indie and essential donate to artists that actually get my money.

I'm sorry if I sound rude or anything like that, but I find many linux distributions are quite usuable by certain users (those without kids and only use email, web browsing, and the occasional media file). The reason why Linux User Groups still exist is to provide those people someone who can help them with any problems. If you really think Linux has usability problems, look at a Windows forum sometime. The problems are very similar or absolutely ridiculous.

And my chief complaint at this point, having used GNU/Linux as a desktop AND looking forward to Vista, is the fact that I cannot customize my desktop easily. Great, they've added a sidebar. How about allowing users to decide what that sidebar is? KDE and Gnome allow me that functionality. Right now I have my most used programs sitting in a ceiling bar. I hardly ever use the desktop menu (start for the windows users) to actually do anything that isn't system related. In fact, I actually like using fluxbox since they eliminate the desktop menu completely.

And to anyone thinking that common users don't change their desktop, you're right. They DON'T, and they don't have to change it. It can be just the same, but that's not a reason to actually RESTRICT a user. They need to focus on security rather than User Interface.

Of course, when you base your bottom line on slipshod software, you get to sell the "upgrades" to the saps after the fact.

Let me put it bluntly. Microsoft isn't a software firm, but a marketing firm, pure and simple, and they do a great job of it.
  8. Jan 6, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus

9. Jan 6, 2006 #8
    Its really like KDE
  10. Jan 6, 2006 #9

Staff Emeritus

It's really like Windows XP.
  11. Jan 7, 2006 #10
    What do you think will be the minimun requirements? What do you think would be the system requirements to get it to actually run smoothly?
  12. Jan 7, 2006 #11
    Resource happy resource happy. Is this bassically Windows XP with add-ons and 20 times slower?
  13. Jan 7, 2006 #12
    Why would it have to be slower? It seems to me that they could make it faster than XP.
  14. Jan 7, 2006 #13
    I know this doesn't mean much, but this is what it says on the Windows site:
    "Windows Vista is the first Windows operating system that has a user experience that can gracefully scale to the hardware capabilities of the computer it is installed on."
  15. Jan 8, 2006 #14
    Coming from the spin machine that is M$ marketing department :) Dont believe any of it.. Sure it could be fast, but rendering all those graphics will need a lot of mem and a fast proc...

?? Not really.. The graphics are all changed, It looks more like a KDE enviorment to me..
  16. Jan 8, 2006 #15
    Does anyone know why I can't get the background image of that link's page ?
  17. Jan 8, 2006 #16
    Anyone please ?
  18. Jan 8, 2006 #17

Staff Emeritus

What browser are you using?
  19. Jan 8, 2006 #18
    You can only view the Microsoft web site with FireFox.
  20. Jan 8, 2006 #19
    When do you guys think this will be released? I heard Gates say in an interview that it will be released late in the year, but when is that really?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  21. Jan 8, 2006 #20

Staff Emeritus

I believe the target date was October-November 2006. Microsoft wants the PCs that people buy for the holidays to be preloaded with Vista.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?