Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows Vista

1. I like it

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. I don't like it

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Indifferent

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Jul 22, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Windows Vista is the official name for the next version of windows. More information can be found on microsoft's site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 22, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I read that the abbrevations for the next windows is going to be Windows VI as in Windows 6.0.

They should have called it Windows Emacs.

5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe if the software comes with a house, id be more accepting of the name

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was fine with Longhorn, but that's the Texas girl in me!

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

The tagline is: "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world."

I think what they really mean is: "Your connected computer is clearly visible by everyone in the world and you can be confident that you'll get hacked"

8. Jul 22, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't mind Vista, but I think they should drop the Windows part. :biggrin:

9. Jul 22, 2005 #8
    I find windows VI (pronounced 'vee' 'ai') better it fits better with prevous names:
    windows 3.11 (this one was a bit of a weird one, but it was just a start)
    windows 95
    windows 98
    windows me
    windows xp
    windows vi

10. Jul 22, 2005 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Jul 23, 2005 #10
    Well ok, that would fit perfectly (windows NT and windows 2K), in addition to the ones you suggested to ignore I would also ignore windows server 2003. But anyways I would have preferred totally different original names for each version, like:
    longhorn
    bigsnout
    tallneck
    stronghoof
    greatclaw
    widewing
    swiftfin
    sharpfang
    etc.

12. Jul 23, 2005 #11

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.... great translation :rofl: ! Longhorn had a rhyme to it at least giving it a degree of "professionalism" ... Vista is something you pick up from a gas station.

13. Jul 23, 2005 #12
    Geee, the name of vista really kind of bad taste... WHy they dont use longhorn?

14. Jul 23, 2005 #13
    The name doesn't bother me, tbh.

15. Jul 23, 2005 #14
    They didn't use longhorn because it is a codename. The article I read about it was titled "Longhorn gets a Name", not Longhorn gets re-named.

Why does the name matter anyway though? People will still buy it and use it.

16. Jul 24, 2005 #15

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

17. Jul 24, 2005 #16
    For me I have always preferred the codenames like whistler and the next to come BlackComb. Vista, that's a car. If microsoft gets sued for the name then it will be a taste of their own medicine. I remember when Mike Rowe had the mikerowesoft.com domain and microsoft wanted to sue him, luckily they gave him an xbox and some other stuff.

18. Jul 26, 2005 #17
    It seems like microsoft is pulling out a lot of the new features that were promised. Is this another Windows ME?

19. Jul 26, 2005 #18

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Beta 1 is coming out tommorow. We'll find out if it's going to be another windows me. My guess that it isn't going to be anything revolutionary. Just a rehash of what's already been done but with the microsoft name.

20. Jul 26, 2005 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Jul 26, 2005 #20

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

They can get any name they want. If the price is right, the smaller company will change their name or live with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?