Windows Vista: Microsoft's Next-Generation OS

In summary: Windows Vista is the official name for the next version of windows. More information can be found on microsoft's site:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspxAfter googling... some interesting uses of "VISTA"Volunteers In Service To AmericaVisible and Infrared Survey Telescope for AstronomyAltaVistaI'm sure there are many other interesting ones.I read that the abbrevations for the next windows is going to be Windows VI as in Windows 6.0.They should have called it Windows Emacs.Maybe if the software comes with a house, id be more accepting of the nameI was fine with Longh

What Do you think of the Name "Windows Vista"

• I like it

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I read that the abbrevations for the next windows is going to be Windows VI as in Windows 6.0.

They should have called it Windows Emacs.

Maybe if the software comes with a house, id be more accepting of the name

I was fine with Longhorn, but that's the Texas girl in me!

The tagline is: "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world."

I think what they really mean is: "Your connected computer is clearly visible by everyone in the world and you can be confident that you'll get hacked"

I don't mind Vista, but I think they should drop the Windows part. :biggrin:

I find windows VI (pronounced 'vee' 'ai') better it fits better with prevous names:
windows 3.11 (this one was a bit of a weird one, but it was just a start)
windows 95
windows 98
windows me
windows xp
windows vi

Well ok, that would fit perfectly (windows NT and windows 2K), in addition to the ones you suggested to ignore I would also ignore windows server 2003. But anyways I would have preferred totally different original names for each version, like:
longhorn
bigsnout
tallneck
stronghoof
greatclaw
widewing
swiftfin
sharpfang
etc.

dduardo said:
The tagline is: "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world."

I think what they really mean is: "Your connected computer is clearly visible by everyone in the world and you can be confident that you'll get hacked"

... great translation :rofl: ! Longhorn had a rhyme to it at least giving it a degree of "professionalism" ... Vista is something you pick up from a gas station.

Geee, the name of vista really kind of bad taste... WHy they don't use longhorn?

The name doesn't bother me, tbh.

They didn't use longhorn because it is a codename. The article I read about it was titled "Longhorn gets a Name", not Longhorn gets re-named.

Why does the name matter anyway though? People will still buy it and use it.

For me I have always preferred the codenames like whistler and the next to come BlackComb. Vista, that's a car. If microsoft gets sued for the name then it will be a taste of their own medicine. I remember when Mike Rowe had the mikerowesoft.com domain and microsoft wanted to sue him, luckily they gave him an xbox and some other stuff.

It seems like microsoft is pulling out a lot of the new features that were promised. Is this another Windows ME?

Beta 1 is coming out tommorow. We'll find out if it's going to be another windows me. My guess that it isn't going to be anything revolutionary. Just a rehash of what's already been done but with the microsoft name.

Perhaps the name Vista will not make it to the shelves after all:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002397450_microvista23.html

They can get any name they want. If the price is right, the smaller company will change their name or live with it.

:rofl: I guess it's the view through the window, perhaps as you peer over at the person running a Mac or linux and wish you had what they had?

I'm reading their site, and it sounds like what they're saying is, "We fixed some of the bugs in the last version of Windows, though not all of them. The ones we didn't fix, we tried to minimize how much damage they'll do." Really, that site doesn't say much of anything about what it actually will do or what's new, it just seems to have a lot of buzzwords.

Confidently do what you want, when you want, and where you want

Clearly organize your work and play in powerful new ways

Connect seamlessly with other people, devices, and computers
Isn't that what any computer is supposed to do?

Microsoft's technique is to wait for everyone to come out with something new and then just take it as their own idea. Most people have never seen or touched osx or linux. Therefore they are completely clueless as to what has already been done.

is this the one with 3-D windows that you can flip around to take notes? I saw a video of that one.

1. What is Windows Vista?

Windows Vista is a computer operating system developed by Microsoft and released in 2006 as the successor to Windows XP. It was designed to improve upon the security, stability, and user interface of its predecessor.

2. What are the system requirements for Windows Vista?

The minimum system requirements for Windows Vista are a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, and 15 GB of available hard drive space. However, for optimal performance, a 2 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM, and 40 GB of available hard drive space are recommended.

3. What are the main features of Windows Vista?

Some of the main features of Windows Vista include a redesigned user interface with a new visual style called "Aero," improved security measures such as User Account Control, and new multimedia tools like Windows DVD Maker and Windows Media Center.

4. Is Windows Vista still supported by Microsoft?

No, mainstream support for Windows Vista ended in 2012, and extended support ended in 2017. This means that Microsoft no longer releases updates or provides technical support for the operating system.

5. Can I upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista. However, it is recommended to do a clean installation instead for better performance and stability. Additionally, some programs and hardware may not be compatible with Windows Vista, so it is important to check for compatibility before upgrading.