Windows XP of Vista

• Thread starter JPC
  • Start date

JPC

Hi

I am thinking of changing my 'Processor + Chipsets + Motherboard' soon
(Dual core 2, around '1300 Hz 2G DDR2' for the set, DDR2 dual-core Motherboard) (about 600 euros = 951 USD)
and i was thinking of whether i should reinstal XP or Vista (i am under Xp right now)

Iv' seen how vista is, and i'm not really a fan of it.
I prefer XP professional which is less of a 'guiding you all the time like a beginer' OS.

And i am not going to get Vista just for the pretty display, or the useless things you can add to desktop.
But if some programs start to be unavailable under XP (Adobe photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio, Dreamreaver, Games), i will take Vista.
Will nearly all of these be available on XP for 1 year ?
if not i'll be forced into Vista : )

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
All of those program should be available for XP for at least two years.

JPC

Yes but i heard some new hardware is not compatible with XP anymore

Run both! Partition your drive into two separate drives and have both OS's available. Or, just have each OS on its own dedicated drive. On my power computer I have XP Pro x64, Vista x64 and Ubuntu-64bit.

I agree. Partitioning is the best idea if you know what you are doing. If you could only have one though, go with XP. Vista hasn't caught on for a reason: most people don't really seem to like it. You should have at least 2 years before the programs you mentioned will be phased to Vista. The companies that produce those programs know what OS's people use and unlike Microsoft, are not trying to force you into purchasing a new OS.

JPC

I can only afford one, i have a crackedXP at the moment (i couldnt afford it 2 years ago) , and i want to pass to legal, because i get fed up with Genuine Advantage tool being updated all the time.

So then i'll take XP : )

Last edited:
Hey you might like to check out Ubuntu :) much better than XP or Vista!

It may take a while to get used to but once you give it a few weeks you cant go back to windows :D

go to ubuntu.com i cant post URL's yet :(

JPC

Why a special OS ? if you dont take Microsoft OS , you have lots of incompatibity problems, ect.
this might be good for browsing, being secured from virus, ect ; but i dont go on dangerous websites. And i am not a business with Company secrets to hide.

if you use ubuntu like i dont have any in compatablity issues:

banshee atunes or rythmbox music
vlc mplayer movies
azueeus bit torrent
filezilla ftp
firefox browser
amsn msn
pidgin xfire
warsoe, all quake games
matlab has linux version
netbeans eclipse codeblocks IDE's
blender 3d
gimp inkscape#
openoffice is way better than office 2007 in my opinion
wine runs deus ex command and conquer 3 steam etc
teamspeak has linux version vent works in wine
list goes on all the apps in linux are wayyyyyyyyy better than windows i think :)

oh and office 2003 works in wine as well really good

JPC

I hate openoffice, every option is like hidden in some menu, takes me 2 minutes to find a specific button (the uncomon ones)
And i prefer staying on a Microsoft OS. During my studies, i will always be using Microsoft OS, so better stick with the one i need.

im advice u to use windows xp

and this programs (Adobe photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio, Dreamreaver,) is avilable on win xp

i use photoshop 10 on windows xp professional edition.and visual studio 2008, and dreamweaver 8..all avilable on xp

however if u like install win vista i advice u to use

Windows Vista Ultimate not home edition

JPC

I know
never i will use home edition in any Microsoft OS

So ill stay on XP

anyone know if i can only buy a XP professional Key ?
i already have the instal disc

google one :P there are tonnes on the net

Yeah stay with Xp. You wont have any trouble. Vista sucks!

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have Vista and can't name one new feature. I'd stick with XP.
Shadow copies (unless you were coming from WS2003) and UAC would be the major two non-interface features.

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes but i heard some new hardware is not compatible with XP anymore
When there's more hardware produced that works with Vista than XP, let me know. My Vista box at work came without proper video drivers (and still no mfg. updates).

Of course I don't do graphics at work, so I just ignore it. (Actually I've been running with most graphics disabled anyway to increase performance...)

JPC

I agree,
Vista full of bugs, full of wierd configuration (buttons and folders and settings in different places)

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I haven't found any bugs in Vista yet, and the configuration is easy to adapt to. But the lack of good drivers, that's a real problem.

JPC

Well, one of my friends has Vista. And he had problems with screen resolution. He put the best one for his screen. And when he restart his PC , his screen resolution changes again.
maybe its just the screen that has some problems, i dont know

ubuntu >>>>>> xp >>>>>>>>> vista
vista is worst one ;)

JPC

no

Mac is the worst
I mean in a Mac OS, i feel like i am the slave to the OS, it wont let me modify much, it just keeps it simple because they think if we have more control we will mess everything up. In short, to me , Mac OS treats you like a little baby

I have Vista. But It took a time to get used to it. Xp was perfect as it was. But money talks i guess so now every pc comes with Vista.

JPC

vista uses more your Ram + processor + Motherboard
so u buy better hardware too, they might have made a deal with Hardware comanies :D