Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows XP of Vista

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

JPC

Hi

I am thinking of changing my 'Processor + Chipsets + Motherboard' soon
    (Dual core 2, around '1300 Hz 2G DDR2' for the set, DDR2 dual-core Motherboard) (about 600 euros = 951 USD)
    and i was thinking of whether i should reinstal XP or Vista (i am under Xp right now)

Iv' seen how vista is, and i'm not really a fan of it.
    I prefer XP professional which is less of a 'guiding you all the time like a beginer' OS.

And i am not going to get Vista just for the pretty display, or the useless things you can add to desktop.
    But if some programs start to be unavailable under XP (Adobe photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio, Dreamreaver, Games), i will take Vista.
    Will nearly all of these be available on XP for 1 year ?
    if not i'll be forced into Vista : )

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All of those program should be available for XP for at least two years.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

JPC

Yes but i heard some new hardware is not compatible with XP anymore

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    Run both! Partition your drive into two separate drives and have both OS's available. Or, just have each OS on its own dedicated drive. On my power computer I have XP Pro x64, Vista x64 and Ubuntu-64bit.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    I agree. Partitioning is the best idea if you know what you are doing. If you could only have one though, go with XP. Vista hasn't caught on for a reason: most people don't really seem to like it. You should have at least 2 years before the programs you mentioned will be phased to Vista. The companies that produce those programs know what OS's people use and unlike Microsoft, are not trying to force you into purchasing a new OS.

7. Apr 23, 2008 #6

JPC

I can only afford one, i have a crackedXP at the moment (i couldnt afford it 2 years ago) , and i want to pass to legal, because i get fed up with Genuine Advantage tool being updated all the time.

So then i'll take XP : )

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  8. Apr 24, 2008 #7
    Hey you might like to check out Ubuntu :) much better than XP or Vista!

It may take a while to get used to but once you give it a few weeks you cant go back to windows :D

go to ubuntu.com i cant post URL's yet :(

9. Apr 25, 2008 #8

JPC

Why a special OS ? if you dont take Microsoft OS , you have lots of incompatibity problems, ect.
    this might be good for browsing, being secured from virus, ect ; but i dont go on dangerous websites. And i am not a business with Company secrets to hide.

10. Apr 25, 2008 #9
    if you use ubuntu like i dont have any in compatablity issues:

banshee atunes or rythmbox music
    vlc mplayer movies
    azueeus bit torrent
    filezilla ftp
    firefox browser
    amsn msn
    pidgin xfire
    warsoe, all quake games
    matlab has linux version
    netbeans eclipse codeblocks IDE's
    blender 3d
    gimp inkscape#
    openoffice is way better than office 2007 in my opinion
    wine runs deus ex command and conquer 3 steam etc
    teamspeak has linux version vent works in wine
    list goes on all the apps in linux are wayyyyyyyyy better than windows i think :)

11. Apr 25, 2008 #10
    oh and office 2003 works in wine as well really good

12. Apr 25, 2008 #11

JPC

I hate openoffice, every option is like hidden in some menu, takes me 2 minutes to find a specific button (the uncomon ones)
    And i prefer staying on a Microsoft OS. During my studies, i will always be using Microsoft OS, so better stick with the one i need.

13. Apr 26, 2008 #12
    im advice u to use windows xp

and this programs (Adobe photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio, Dreamreaver,) is avilable on win xp

i use photoshop 10 on windows xp professional edition.and visual studio 2008, and dreamweaver 8..all avilable on xp

however if u like install win vista i advice u to use

Windows Vista Ultimate not home edition

14. Apr 26, 2008 #13

JPC

I know
    never i will use home edition in any Microsoft OS

So ill stay on XP

anyone know if i can only buy a XP professional Key ?
    i already have the instal disc

15. Apr 26, 2008 #14
    google one :P there are tonnes on the net

16. Apr 26, 2008 #15
    Yeah stay with Xp. You wont have any trouble. Vista sucks!

17. Apr 26, 2008 #16
    I have Vista and can't name one new feature. I'd stick with XP.

18. Apr 26, 2008 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shadow copies (unless you were coming from WS2003) and UAC would be the major two non-interface features.

19. Apr 26, 2008 #18

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When there's more hardware produced that works with Vista than XP, let me know. My Vista box at work came without proper video drivers (and still no mfg. updates).

Of course I don't do graphics at work, so I just ignore it. (Actually I've been running with most graphics disabled anyway to increase performance...)

20. Apr 26, 2008 #19

JPC

I agree,
    Vista full of bugs, full of wierd configuration (buttons and folders and settings in different places)

21. Apr 26, 2008 #20

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't found any bugs in Vista yet, and the configuration is easy to adapt to. But the lack of good drivers, that's a real problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?