Windows XP Problems - Troubleshoot & Fix

• Thread starter Shawn Garsed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Windows crashes many programs. However, it may be the program itself. Just make sure you have XP and all your programs updated.Try a clean install of XP every few years. Nothing more can be done.Windows 7 might finally improve the series.Shawn, do you have SP2 installed? If not, that's a good place to start.One more thing - you might want to find some utility that finds and updates drivers. You can also try Ad-aware to see if there might be some mal-ware hijacking processes.
Shawn Garsed
Hi everybody,

I've got a problem with WXP. Sometimes, when I'm browsing through a website or looking through my Program Files or even when I'm playing a game, WXP will give me a message saying: A mistake has occured, this file/program has to be closed down (this was translated, so I don't know exactly what it says in the English version). Do any of you happen to know what causes this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn Garsed

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's a very common problem. Windows crashes many programs. However it may be the program itself. Just make sure you have XP and all your programs updated. Try a clean install of XP every few years. Nothing more can be done. Windows 7 might finally improve the series.

Shawn, do you have SP2 installed? If not, that's a good place to start.

One more thing - you might want to find some utility that finds and updates drivers. You can also try Ad-aware to see if there might be some mal-ware hijacking processes. I've been running XP for years, with very few lock-ups. Get Avast Home Edition too.

I can't say I've ever had these sorts of problems with XP, and I've been using it for years. If properly maintained, there really shouldn't be any reason for an XP setup to have problems like this, especially these days, with matured drivers and SP3.

Do you have good computer upkeep and management practices?

Also: if you want us to help you more effectively, provide as much detail as possible. You aren't giving us much to go on at all.

When did you notice the problem? Did it happen after installing or uninstalling any programs? Does it happen at regular intervals or is it random? Have you run any scans to see if maybe you could have been infected with any spyware or malware?

1. What are common Windows XP problems?

Some common problems with Windows XP include slow performance, error messages, blue screen of death, driver issues, and compatibility issues with newer software.

2. How can I fix a slow Windows XP computer?

Some steps to fix a slow Windows XP computer include freeing up disk space, running a disk cleanup and disk defragmenter, updating drivers, and removing unnecessary startup programs.

3. How do I troubleshoot and fix Windows XP error messages?

To troubleshoot and fix Windows XP error messages, you can try restarting your computer, running a virus scan, using the System Restore feature, or updating drivers and software.

4. How can I prevent the blue screen of death on Windows XP?

To prevent the blue screen of death on Windows XP, you can make sure your computer has enough memory, regularly update drivers and software, and run a virus scan to keep your computer free of malware.

5. What should I do if my software is not compatible with Windows XP?

If your software is not compatible with Windows XP, you can try running the software in compatibility mode or upgrading to a newer operating system. You can also contact the software developer for further assistance or look for alternative software that is compatible with Windows XP.