Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows XP: Starter Edition

1. Aug 11, 2004 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

This has to be the funniest Microsoft news i've heard in a while:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5670541/

Microsoft is trying to counter Linux and piracy in Asia by offering a stripped down version of Windows XP for $36 USD.

The limitations of this version of Windows include:

Only 3 programs can run at the same time
    800x600 maximum resolution
    No PC-to-PC networking support
    No printer sharing support
    No multiple user accounts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2004 #2
    Lol, that sounds like WindowsME. :)

4. Aug 12, 2004 #3

graphic7

Gold Member

The thought of Microsoft giving the asians such a terrible product should justify a lawsuit (joke). It's stupid of Microsoft to think they could conquer the asian market where free operating systems reign. Japan is especially fond of FreeBSD and it's native Japanese console support.

5. Aug 12, 2004 #4
    They should proabably rethink those ideas. Who on earth would buy that sort of OS?

6. Aug 12, 2004 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

Microsoft did accomplish one of their objectives, though: fighting software piracy. This is the first Microsoft OS in a long time that people are *not* going to want to pirate.

It would be interesting though to see if some of this version's limited features can somehow be circumvented. I seriously doubt this, however. I would theorize the developers actually *stripped* out the features. Of course, they could have been lazy and implemented these parameters without much thought.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  7. Aug 14, 2004 #6
    I am sure that the article is a joke. Even Microsoft could not be this dumb.

8. Aug 14, 2004 #7
    36 dollars for crap ehehehe

9. Aug 15, 2004 #8
    How long before it, too, becomes downloadable (along with nearly everything else)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?