Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windoze / MS Word ?s

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1] Why sometimes, when I accidentally blow up a Word document, does Word tell me I've made changes to Template.dot and do I want to save them? I'm always leary of saying 'no', since my own document is buried in the bowels of memory somewhere and will I be erasing it forever if I say 'no' to this template.dot.

2] Most s/w apps will have a default location (such as My Documents) that is offered when saving files. I have no use for this My Documents folder, and would like to give it a different default folder - ideally, for ALL my applications. Can this be configured somewhere in XP?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Mar 13, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

For number 1, what do you mean by "blow up"?

For number 2, another way to change it is to go to tools->options->file locations in word.

5. Mar 13, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

6. Mar 13, 2006 #5
    It sounds like your installation of Word is more trouble than it's worth! I really couldn't stand having to close and reopen my documents due to formatting bugs. I never get any types of errors with Word. Maybe you're better off clearing it off your PC and doing a fresh installation. Which version of Word is this? Or, like dduardo touched on, use OpenOffice.org Writer. It's pretty much like Word and its free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?