Answering MS Word & Windoze XP Qs

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of accidentally damaging a Word document and being asked to save changes to the Template.dot file, as well as changing the default location for saving files in Windows XP. The solutions suggested include using the Open Document Format to avoid data loss, changing the default location in Word's settings, and potentially switching to a different word processing program like OpenOffice.org.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
1] Why sometimes, when I accidentally blow up a Word document, does Word tell me I've made changes to Template.dot and do I want to save them? I'm always leary of saying 'no', since my own document is buried in the bowels of memory somewhere and will I be erasing it forever if I say 'no' to this template.dot.

2] Most s/w apps will have a default location (such as My Documents) that is offered when saving files. I have no use for this My Documents folder, and would like to give it a different default folder - ideally, for ALL my applications. Can this be configured somewhere in XP?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For number 1, what do you mean by "blow up"?

For number 2, another way to change it is to go to tools->options->file locations in word.

dduardo said:
1) Use the Open Document Format and you won't lose all your data due to some corrupted bytes. (http://www.openoffice.org/)
I don't understand how this answers my question.

For number 1, what do you mean by "blow up"?
Mm. Well, something that goes awry in my doc so that it's not beahving properly, and I decide I want to close it down and reopen it to clear the problem. say, a table formatting thing, or a style setting. (I was originally referring to a critical error in Word, but it's not always that catastrophic.)

For number 2, another way to change it is to go to tools->options->file locations in word.
I was looking for a more broad, Windows-wide solution. I think dduardo's link should do it.

It sounds like your installation of Word is more trouble than it's worth! I really couldn't stand having to close and reopen my documents due to formatting bugs. I never get any types of errors with Word. Maybe you're better off clearing it off your PC and doing a fresh installation. Which version of Word is this? Or, like dduardo touched on, use OpenOffice.org Writer. It's pretty much like Word and its free.

1. How do I create a new document in Microsoft Word?

To create a new document in Microsoft Word, open the program and click on the "Blank Document" option on the left side of the screen. You can also use the shortcut "Ctrl+N" to create a new document.

2. How do I change the font style and size in a Word document?

To change the font style and size in a Word document, highlight the text you want to change and click on the "Font" dropdown menu in the Home tab. Select the desired font and size from the options provided.

3. How do I save a Word document with a new name?

To save a Word document with a new name, click on the "File" tab and select "Save As". In the dialog box, enter the new name for the document and click "Save". This will create a new copy of the document with the new name.

4. How do I insert page numbers in a Word document?

To insert page numbers in a Word document, go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Page Number" in the Header & Footer section. Select the desired location for the page numbers and choose from the options provided.

5. How do I take a screenshot in Windows XP?

To take a screenshot in Windows XP, press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This will copy the entire screen to your clipboard. You can then paste the screenshot into a document or image editing program to save it.