Exploring the Benefits of Anhedral Rigging on Sailboats

• Thread starter ken
  • Start date
In summary, there is evidence that heeling the rig over to windward on a sailboat can significantly increase speed, especially on narrow hull boats. This may be due to the angle of air flow and the width of the sail, as well as changes in induced drag and lift. However, there may be other factors at play as well, such as the reduction of power in the horizontal plane and the rotation of the wetted hull. Further research is needed to fully understand the reasons behind this increase in speed.
ken
Hi,

There is some evidence that on a silboat going to windward in moderate to strong wind, heeling the rig over to windward (the reverse of normal) gives significantly increased speed. It works on narrow hull boats but only on wide hulls where the rig is heeled independantly of the hull.

The question is why?

This is like an anhedral wing. Does anhedral decrease induced drag?

Does anhedral increase lift?

Where can I find information on this?

Ken

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be that with windward heel, air flows at an angle down toward the water, while with leeward heel, wind flows up toward the top. Since the sail is wider near the bottom, it would be better for more wind to flow over the bottom.

russ_watters said:
My guess would be that with windward heel, air flows at an angle down toward the water, while with leeward heel, wind flows up toward the top. Since the sail is wider near the bottom, it would be better for more wind to flow over the bottom.

Hi Russ, nice to hear from you again.

That's a good thought.
I haven't experienced this myself but the claim is for as much as 10% increase. If your guess is correct, It will not work so well with eliptical sail plans as with triangular sails. Also should not work above the design wind as the boat is already at maximun power.

Are you aware of any significant effects on induced drag with changes in dihedral or anhedral, up top +-10 deg?

Ken

russ_watters said:
I don't understand your last sentence.
I think heeling to wind'd means the sail in giving some lift, which is like
lightening the boat. Also sailboats are usually designed to sail faster when heeled, because the WL length is increased.

Hi

I believe Russ is talking about the way cross flows change with heel.
When heeled to lee, there is an upward component of cross flow toward the peak of the sail there the chord is generally narrower. When heeled to windward, the flow is directed more downward toward the foot or boom. Now as all sailboats operate within the winds boundary layer, there is a velocity gradient with height so Russ is suggesting the whole veolcity gradient is moved downwards where the sail has more chord and therefore generates higher load.

Lets say my 14 foot boat. Total sailing weight = 250 kg including 2 crew
Sail area = 9.3 m^2
Max sail reaction upwind = 900 N

heeld 5 deg to windward, lift = sin (5) * 900 = 78 N = 8 kg

Boat now 96.8% of original weight.
By cubes and squares, that's 96% wetted or even Xsection area.
Take the inverse square for the new velocity 1.09 %

OK, that's very interesting confirming the lift theory.
I'd not have thought it that much. Is the calculation valid?

Ken

I made a mistake, I squared the inverse change in area/drag, should have taken the square root. Velocity increase would then be 1.014% which is not enough to account for the reported speed increase.

Ken

By the way, if there is a lift (accounted by sin(5)), then you loose part of the power (cos(5)), that would decrease the increment provided by the lift.
Now, if one thinks that the power of the sail is not fully oriented to the heading of the hull (ie, ther is a drift component), most of the lift would come from the perpendicular, undesired component of the force: then drift. Then, by heeling, the boat experiments a reduced drag due to the lift but also reduce drift. Might this account for the increased performance?

Agreed there is technically reduced power in the horizontal plan proportional to cos 5 but that's pretty insignificant.

Someone also pointed out that when a round hull with transom (most planing dinghies) is heeled to windward, the aft contact point with the water moves to windward. This has the effect or rotating the wetted hull to align with the leeway flow. Much the same effect as a gybing board. Don't know if this could reduce the drag much.

Maybe it's a combination of several effects.

Ken

1. What is anhedral rigging on sailboats?

Anhedral rigging refers to the downward angle of the mast and booms on a sailboat, as opposed to the traditional horizontal or slightly upward angle. This creates a V-shape between the mast and booms, which can have a variety of benefits for sailing performance.

2. What are the benefits of anhedral rigging?

One of the main benefits of anhedral rigging is improved stability and control in rough seas. The V-shape of the rigging allows for better distribution of forces and reduces the risk of capsizing. It also allows for a more efficient use of wind energy, leading to faster speeds and better performance.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using anhedral rigging?

While anhedral rigging has many benefits, it may not be suitable for all types of sailing. The V-shape can create a larger heeling angle, which may not be ideal for racing or high-performance sailing. It may also be more difficult to trim and adjust the sails with anhedral rigging.

4. How does anhedral rigging affect the overall design of a sailboat?

Anhedral rigging requires specific design considerations, as the mast and booms must be angled and supported in a way that can withstand the forces of sailing. This may require additional reinforcement and structural adjustments to the sailboat's design.

5. Is anhedral rigging suitable for all types of sailboats?

Anhedral rigging can be beneficial for a variety of sailboats, including small recreational boats and larger racing yachts. However, it is important to consider the specific design and intended use of the sailboat before implementing anhedral rigging, as it may not be suitable for all types of sailing. Consulting with a professional sailboat designer or naval architect can help determine if anhedral rigging is a good fit for a particular sailboat.