Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wing nut conspiracy theories

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    The online version of my local paper, as do many, has a place to post an opinion addressing most of the days articles. People make posts and then argue back and forth.

It doesn't take long until the conservative wing nuts begin going off of the deep end.

From todays article about Obama receiving a letter of congratulations from Iran I found this:

This was probably a cut and paste from somewhere, yet is a good example of how extreme things can get with the help of hate radio. The +7 means 7 people highly agree.

Luckily this was posted late in the day for the morning paper and didn't get many reads.

Another post claims Obama is not only going to take away our guns, he is going to confiscate Bibles from homes.:rolleyes:

I guess what is on my mind is; where do these people come up with this garbage and why do they end up with positive ratings by other readers.

When I post solid facts contradicting them along with credible links, I end up with negative ratings. I am seeing enough Obama hatred that it really concerns me. Yea sure, there was a lot of Bush hate and disgust posts, but only after Bush earned it.

Obama hasn't done anything yet.

just venting

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2
    Cause they don't like no stinkin facts. It requires too much thinkin and they don't fancy any thinkin boy! They love their cowboy boots and their whiskey.

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the communist muslim terrorist is part of a facist CIA plot to invade Russia?

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4
    People really like conspiracy theories. Just listen to a couple nights of Coast to Coast.
    I enjoy them myself for entertainment. I also hold asperations of using them as ideas for novels.

At any rate, I read an interesting article on the continually recycled "impending end of the world" scenario. It theorizes that people like to believe they live in interesting times, for good or ill, and want to think that they and their lives will be important in some grand fashion. I've found that this theory fits quite well for alot of conspiracy ideas. There are no shortage of people I have run into that love to believe in conspiracy theories of one sort or another. Another element may be the insider mentality. People like to believe they know things that other people don't and can be important by spreading the word.

I heard Jesse Ventura, Governor of Minnesota, in interview just recently rant and raving about 9/11.

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    Well, if those black helicopters weren't following me around all the time I'd say those theories were crazy.

7. Nov 8, 2008 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Apparently a lot of people are worried about this. Gun sales are way up this week. People want to lay in their arsenals in advance.

8. Nov 8, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Gun sales were up apparently in anticipation of tighter gun laws, which would ostensibly restrict the purchase of guns, or perhaps certain types of guns.

It appears that some individuals are concerned that the government will confiscate their weapons.

9. Nov 8, 2008 #8
    As for guns, Obama has only mentioned the possible restriction of assalult rifles with large ammunition clips. We had that restriction but it was allowed to expire under Bush.

I am a gun owner, but I could easily live with those restrictions. I tend to hit what I shoot at with the first shot.

Today comments in my local paper have a lot of talk about Obama's people manufacturing the economic crisis so that he could win the election.

The Topic of the Article was: Obama Holds First Press Conference. By the third post the insanity had set in. The obvious seething Obama hatred is disturbing.

10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yeah. It must have been that pyramiding of Credit Default Swaps and the unbalanced demand for energy supplies that was instigated by the homeless and the vulnerable of society that has been marshaled against the innocent practice of unbridled capitalism in some grand conspiracy to make all of us responsible for each other.

11. Nov 8, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good to have somebody with that kind of organisational ability in the whitehouse!

12. Nov 8, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was looking at some other Obama hate sites as well. What a bunch of NUTS!!!

This election was a clear choice between hope, and fear.

By the time Obama runs for a second term, his detractors will have to find real issues, because by then most of this nonsense will be assigned to the insane asylum where it belongs. Enough people will by then know that Obama is a reasonable person, and a hate campaign will fall on mostly deaf ears.

The Republican Party is now defunct. The way these folks are carrying on, it may stay that way.

13. Nov 8, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

McCain and Palin enthusiastically whipped up the frenzy in these nut-cases, and the constant barrage of dishonest hate-filled emails and phone calls sealed the deal. It will take a long time (if ever) to get the nuts settled down. I'd hate to be in charge of Obama's SS security detail. They are guarding the biggest target this country has ever had as president-elect.

14. Nov 8, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it was a huge relief when Obama and his family left the stage after his acceptance speech. I was worried every time he appeared in public.

But Obama is no fool; he knows he's a target.

15. Nov 8, 2008 #14
    I'm for a apathetic stance to conspiracy theorists. They don't pose any problem, leave them alone in their fantasy world.

16. Nov 8, 2008 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you're proposing a conspiracy to ignore conspiracy nuts?

17. Nov 8, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dont quite follow that one. They nearly cost this country the best candidate that I've ever seen. And we [my wife and I] sent Obama a lot of money to help him advertise his way beyond this nonsense. If millions like us hadn't done the same [or made nominal donations], we would likely be saying Vice President Elect Palin!

18. Nov 8, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I don't think that the Secret Service can afford to ignore fringe groups or conspiracy nuts, in part because if the loons believe even part of the crap they spout, they may feel they have "justification" to attempt an assassination.

19. Nov 8, 2008 #18
    Sure we could live with additional restrictions but they are unnecessary restrictions. There is no "problem" with large capacity magazines that restrictions would be addressing. There is no reason to restrict assault weapon purchases by law abiding folks (the same old argument). It would just be a "feel good" anti-gun measure. Clinton's assault weapons ban had little to no affect on anything related to crime. It's likely the Obama would let this kind of legislation pass if introduced again. Hopefully the Dems will be too busy with IMPORTANT legislation and not run this through again.

20. Nov 8, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Many people do not realize this, but an "assault rifle" is just a semi-automatic rifle with cosmetic features similar to those of military weapons. Quite frankly, if someone was shooting at me with a .223 cal M-16 look-alike, I'd rather be armed with my father's old Remington 742. It's a semiauto chambered in .30-06 with a 5 shot capacity. It looks like a typical hunting rifle (which it is), but is far more potent in range, accuracy, and knock-down power than the typical shoulder-fired military rifle.

21. Nov 8, 2008 #20
    I didn't realize there was another .30-06 semi-auto other than the M1-Garand. I'd like to see an "assault" style (AR-15, or FAL) chambered with .30-06. That would be a mean rifle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?