What are the dangers of spreading and believing in extreme conspiracy theories?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the online comment section of a local newspaper and the extreme opinions and conspiracy theories that are often shared. The conversation touches on topics such as Obama's presidency, gun control, and conspiracy theories. The speakers express concerns about the spread of false information and the influence of hate radio on people's opinions. They also discuss the possibility of stricter gun laws and the reasons for the recent increase in gun sales.
To make it worse these nutz are saying Obama will support Iran because he is Arab. I tell them Iranians are Persians, but it just bounces off their thick skulls.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't a race an ethnic group?
Yes it has nothing to do with the Americna president, but if you can't nitt pick about terminology on PF what can you do :-)

edward said:
To make it worse these nutz are saying Obama will support Iran because he is Arab. I tell them Iranians are Persians, but it just bounces off their thick skulls.

What are these peoples level of education? H.S. diploma/GED?

mgb_phys said:
Isn't a race an ethnic group?
Yes it has nothing to do with the Americna president, but if you can't nitt pick about terminology on PF what can you do :-)
No, race is different from ethnic groups. Races are caucasian (white), black and Asian, with sub-classifications. It's more biological classification. The US Census recognizes four basic racial groups, as they consider American natives and Eskimos as a racial class. Correction, they also added Hawaiian/Pacific Islander and "some other race", for people that are mixed and not sure what they are. Races really are losing their distinctions.

Hispanic for example is not a race, it's an ethnic group, they are white as a race.

Cyrus said:
What are these peoples level of education? H.S. diploma/GED?

They seem to be a mixed bag, with some apparently educated leadership.. This must be going on in other places. Many newspapers have online versions with space for comments.

edward said:

The irony is that Persians don't really like Arabs.

WarPhalange said:
I really wish Obama's victory speech on election night had started with "Yes, I am a secret Muslim."

Right now I am told by people I know living in the South that there are those who think Obama will force abortions, ban Christianity, and is literally the Anti-Christ.

It's like living in a Mel Brooks movie.

The funny thing is that they are probably the same fringe loons that thought Bush was the AntiChrist. Probably a bit closer to truth on that count.

Evo said:
No, race is different from ethnic groups. Races are caucasian (white), black and Asian, with sub-classifications.
I think that's the difference between the biological defn of a race, to be equivalent to a breed in dogs, ie. same species but different physical characterstics and the anthropological defn of a shared origin + culture.

I thought we weren't supposed to use the biological race defn anymore because it's racist!

But I do think it's great that there is such a versatile man in the whitehouse.
He's a protestant muslim, pro-persian arab, comminist facist and a CIA/Isreali/Al Queda/Black-Panther agent all at the same time!

Last edited:
Evo said:
Races are caucasian (white), black and Asian, with sub-classifications.

That's your opinion and the opinion of the US Census Bureau, but many people, including prominent anthropologists, would disagree with you. Many people consider Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, and others groups as separate races.

It's more biological classification. The US Census recognizes four basic racial groups, as they consider American natives and Eskimos as a racial class. Correction, they also added Hawaiian/Pacific Islander and "some other race", for people that are mixed and not sure what they are. Races really are losing their distinctions.

Unlike, say, species, race is not a biological category that has clear-cut divisions. Race is like the colors of the spectrum of light. There is no clear cut division in the length of blue light waves and green light waves, or green and yellow light waves. Most people think that the most green light is at around 510 nm, but someone else might think it is, say, 509 nm. Race is the same way.

Hispanic for example is not a race, it's an ethnic group, they are white as a race.

Again, your opinion. I would consider most hispanics as being mestizos, part white, part Native American.

WarPhalange said:
I really wish Obama's victory speech on election night had started with "Yes, I am a secret Muslim."

Right now I am told by people I know living in the South that there are those who think Obama will force abortions, ban Christianity, and is literally the Anti-Christ.

It's like living in a Mel Brooks movie.

This Mel Brooks movie?:smile:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/96FXD/blazing56-jpg.jpg