Winter 2009/2010 Begins: A Snowy Surprise in Warsaw

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the unexpected snowfall in different parts of Europe and the potential consequences and experiences with cold weather. The participants discuss their personal experiences with snow and how it is not a common occurrence in their respective locations. One person shares a story about being caught in an avalanche while skiing, but luckily being dug out and surviving. The conversation ends with a mention of power outages caused by the snow.
Borek
Mentor
I hereby proclaim winter 2009/2010 officially started. This was taken half an hour ago through my window:

winter_2009.jpg

I must admit I don't remember snow in mid October in Warsaw. There is an old Polish proverb saying that 'St. Martin comes on a white horse' - St. Martin's day is November 11th, as this is my name-day I am pretty aware of when it does come and whether there is snow or not. In the last 40 years snow had fallen earlier probably less than 5 times. But not in October.

Physics news on Phys.org
It was cold here (east Flanders, Belgium) today too (around 4°C), but no snow. It is expected to go sub zero tonight. Being originally from South Africa, I'm not used to it going below zero very often and the first time I touched snow was when I was 23, in Germany. Winter and I have a love-hate relationship :)

Winter here too

The skier is caught by an avalanche and dug out ten minutes later. He survived.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got some snow here last night, but it didn't stick around.

Wow, wet snow is breaking electric lines; up to 700 thousand people can be without power at the moment. So far so good here, although we have seen short blackouts - but not on the phase (hopefully that's in English) computers are connected to.

1. What caused the snowy surprise in Warsaw in Winter 2009/2010?

The snowy surprise in Warsaw in Winter 2009/2010 was caused by a combination of low temperatures and a strong low-pressure system moving from the west. This created the perfect conditions for heavy snowfall in the region.

2. How much snowfall did Warsaw experience in Winter 2009/2010?

Warsaw experienced record-breaking snowfall during Winter 2009/2010, with over 26 inches of snow accumulating in just a few days. This was significantly higher than the average snowfall for the city during that time period.

3. Did other regions in Europe also experience heavy snowfall during Winter 2009/2010?

Yes, Winter 2009/2010 was an unusually harsh winter for many parts of Europe, with heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures reported in countries such as Germany, France, and the United Kingdom.

4. How did the snowy conditions affect daily life in Warsaw during Winter 2009/2010?

The heavy snowfall in Warsaw during Winter 2009/2010 caused significant disruptions to daily life, with transportation systems, schools, and businesses forced to close due to the dangerous conditions. The city also faced challenges with clearing the snow from roads and sidewalks.

5. Is the snowy surprise in Warsaw in Winter 2009/2010 a common occurrence?

No, the snowy surprise in Warsaw during Winter 2009/2010 was an unusual event and not a common occurrence for the city. While snow is not uncommon in Warsaw during the winter months, the amount and intensity of snowfall experienced during this particular season was not typical.