Winter Food: Porridge vs Cornflakes & Stew vs Salad

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of weather and temperature on food preferences, with the participants sharing their favorite cold-weather meals and the changes in their eating habits during the winter season. They also mention the impact of winter on local produce availability and reminisce about their past experiences with different winter foods.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So it is some crazy -c temperature about my area now, so i thought about winter food ,or if even food makes a difference with changes in weather, like is it better to eat porridge or cornflakes for breakfast, is a stew better than a salad for dinner.

Physics news on Phys.org
I certainly eat heartier foods - pot roast, meatballs, root vegetables, warm breakfasts, etc. During the summer I tend to eat more grilled/roasted foods, and take advantage of all the farmer's market produce.

During the summer I often have some yogurt with fruit and granola for breakfast or some fruit salad and a pan-grilled muffin. During the winter I'll have heartier fare like oatmeal with applesauce and maple syrup, homefries & eggs, blueberry pancakes, or french toast.

Weather and temperature definitely affect what I eat.

I decidely crave more protein and fats in the winter.. in addition to just wanting my food warm/hot (i.e. soup or chili) rather than cooling (i.e. sodas or ice-cream). This is, quite possibly, due to that fact that I have a high metabolism and no natural insulation.

Unfortunately, our farmer's market also stops in winter... so our consumption of local foods stops, as well as our source for good bread (unless I make some). I miss our lettuce vendor (I don't trust supermarket lettuce). I've nonetheless been happy with the Braeburn apples and the citrus in the stores lately.

Winter food is much better and simpler
Put meat,onion,potato,carrot,and anything else in the fridge that can't crawl away, in slow cooker - wait - eat.

Jacket potato, curry, chilli mmmmm...

One of my favourite cold-weather meals is to chop up a can of ham, stir it into a can of Campbell's Chunky chicken & corn chowder, nuke it for a minute or so, stir in a couple of tablespoons of powdered cayenne and a garbageload of salt. Hmmmm... :tongue2:

Danger said:
One of my favourite cold-weather meals is to chop up a can of ham, stir it into a can of Campbell's Chunky chicken & corn chowder, nuke it for a minute or so, stir in a couple of tablespoons of powdered cayenne and a garbageload of salt. Hmmmm... :tongue2:

Mmmm... sounds strangely good! I'm fond of canned kidney beans with cayenne and salt. There sure isn't anything like cayenne to warm one up... And I feel cold here today... even though it's supposedly 51 Fahrenheit. Rain rain go away!

physics girl phd said:
I feel cold here today... even though it's supposedly 51 Fahrenheit.

Bloody hell! We've been strolling around in T-shirts because it got up to -10 C. :tongue2:
We had the front door and balcony window open all day yesterday, and the furnace turned off.

By the bye... my original recipe was using the Chunky split-pea and ham soup, but marriage brought with the the unwilling obligation to minimize under-blanket farting. :biggrin:

Danger said:

Ham rant, akin to Dangers sprout one, ham is the most disgusting, vile, obnoxious (food) on this planet.

Danger said:
marriage brought... the unwilling obligation to minimize under-blanket farting. :biggrin:

Glad to see part of you becoming civilized.. and perhaps some other form of under-blanket activity keeping you warm. :rofl:

1. What are the nutritional differences between porridge and cornflakes?

Porridge and cornflakes have different nutritional profiles. Porridge is usually made from whole grains, such as oats, and is a good source of fiber, protein, and vitamins. Cornflakes, on the other hand, are made from processed corn and are often fortified with vitamins and minerals. However, they tend to be lower in fiber and protein compared to porridge.

2. Which is a better breakfast option for weight loss: stew or salad?

Both stew and salad can be good options for weight loss, as they are usually lower in calories compared to other breakfast options. However, the best option will depend on the specific ingredients and preparation methods. A stew made with lean protein and lots of vegetables can be a filling and nutritious option, while a salad with a variety of vegetables, healthy fats, and lean protein can also be a good choice. It's important to pay attention to portion sizes and avoid adding high-calorie toppings or dressings.

3. Is porridge or cornflakes better for keeping you full until lunch?

Porridge is often considered a more filling breakfast option compared to cornflakes. This is because it is high in fiber and protein, which can help keep you full for longer. Cornflakes, on the other hand, are often lower in these nutrients and may not provide the same level of satiety. However, this can also depend on individual factors such as portion size and personal preferences.

4. Can stew be a healthy breakfast option?

Yes, stew can be a healthy breakfast option. It's important to choose a stew made with nutritious ingredients, such as lean protein, vegetables, and whole grains. Avoid stews that are high in added fats, sodium, or processed ingredients. You can also add some whole grain toast or a piece of fruit to make it a more well-rounded breakfast meal.

5. Is salad a good breakfast choice for people with diabetes?

Salad can be a good breakfast option for people with diabetes, as it is often low in carbohydrates and can help regulate blood sugar levels. However, it's important to choose a salad with a variety of vegetables and lean protein, and avoid high-calorie dressings or toppings. Whole grains or healthy fats can also be added to make it a more balanced meal. It's always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dietary recommendations for managing diabetes.