Discussing the 2010 Winter Olympics & Past Performances

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, the 2010 Winter Olympics are starting in one week. Vancouver has been having warm weather and has to deal with rainy conditions. I thought I would start a thread for anyone who wants to comment on it - what you're looking forward to, past winter olympics, etc.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The 2010 Winter Olympics are starting in one week. I thought I would start a thread for anyone who wants to comment on it - what you're looking forward to, past winter olympics, etc.

Vancouver has been having warm weather and has to http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34964456/ns/sports-olympic_sports/". We've got plenty in DC this weekend that they could have. Come and get it - we won't mind at all. :wink:

My wife showed me a video of a beautiful performance from 1984 that left a great impression on her (and the judges).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zbbN4OL98

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking for Lindsey Vonn to pull a Michael Phelps...and maybe a US 4-man bobsled gold.

The Olympics lost most of my excitement after Danny Davis and Kevin Pearce got injured.

I don't know that I'm going to survive the heart-string-tugging advertisments for the event. I mean adorable looking children and Donald Sutherland telling you it's time to believe. How do you not choke up?

I'm looking foward to watching the TV coverage, not only for the competition, but also to see Vancouver again. I spent a day there a few years ago, and I wish I could have stayed longer.

Vancouver is running into big debts and rains every week in winter are bit depressing.. but it is turning into a modern city (better public services: transit) maybe because of Olympics.

Seth Wescott (Maine native) won gold in the snowboard cross. There have been only two golds awarded since that sport was added, and both belong to him!

Shaw White is locking out his competitors in Olympic Gold as well. Killer performance!

Blegh, I may watch the skaters, maybe not.

I finally got to see NBC's badly-truncated presentation of the women's downhill, and was VERY impressed by most of the skiers. That was typical New-England style course conditions with icy hard-pack. Lindsey Vonn's decision to go with the longer men's downhill skis was a good one because icy washboard courses really beat up your thighs when you're trying to stay tucked, and by the time you hit the finish you're ready to collapse.

When I was in my senior year, and ski patrol member at Enchanted Mountain, our boss was a Class A skier from Vermont. He threw out a standing challenge that on Sunday afternoons, we would close a trail, and have a downhill competition. You paid 50 cents for a shot at him and if you could come within 1/2 second of his time on a 1.5 mile course (after a weekend of skiing on what was usually a very hard trail) you would win a (transferable) pair of lift ticket passes. I got a pair of passes once, and felt very fortunate to have done so. There were very few passes given out - there may have been one other pair given away that season.

I attribute my "success" to a pair of Fischer GS skis that were longer than normal, and that were laminated aluminum and steel with a wood core and neoprene bonding to smooth out the washboard. The skis had a waisted side-cut to help me carve on ice without throwing all kinds of rooster-tail. That wastes time and scrubs speed. If the boss would have helped me tune my skis and let me in on his waxing techniques, I might have been able to give him a run without the 1/2 second handicap. The only way I could afford low-grade "racing" skis was because of the discount offered to ski-patrol members that let us get equipment from the mountain-based shop at just a little over wholesale.

Edit: Especially if I had been able to race him fresh on Sunday afternoon without having put in 6-7 hours patrolling.

Last edited:
Justyna Kowalczyk won silver in cross country sprint (or whatever it is properly called in English). Go Justyna, go!

Adam Małysz won silver on the first hill, wow, a year or two ago peple here started to say he should already end jumping. Next hill on the weekend.

We already spoke about Anja Paerson crash in Lindsey Vonn thread:

She escaped without serious injury (...) She is bruised and has a sore left calf but nothing is broken.

That's good, it really looked terrible.

Borek said:
We already spoke about Anja Paerson crash in Lindsey Vonn thread:

That's good, it really looked terrible.
It DID look awful, and it could have been much worse. She went into the last jump with her weight too far back, and had to try to correct in mid-air. If she was a lesser skier, she could easily have come out of that with major injuries.

Borek said:
Justyna Kowalczyk won silver in cross country sprint (or whatever it is properly called in English). Go Justyna, go!

She added gold today. Wow, what a finish!

1. What were the highlights of the 2010 Winter Olympics?

The 2010 Winter Olympics, held in Vancouver, Canada, were filled with many memorable moments. Some of the highlights included Canada winning the gold medal in ice hockey, the first ever gold medal for Canada in an Olympic event held on home soil. Another highlight was the performance of figure skater Kim Yuna, who won South Korea's first gold medal in figure skating. Additionally, Lindsey Vonn became the first American woman to win a gold medal in downhill skiing.

2. How did the 2010 Winter Olympics compare to previous ones?

The 2010 Winter Olympics were considered a success by many measures. They had the highest attendance of any Winter Olympics at the time, with over 2.6 million tickets sold. The Canadian team also had their most successful Winter Olympics, winning 14 gold medals, the most of any country. On the other hand, there were also some controversies surrounding the Olympics, such as the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili during a training run. Overall, the 2010 Winter Olympics were seen as a well-organized and exciting event.

3. Who were some of the standout athletes at the 2010 Winter Olympics?

There were many standout athletes at the 2010 Winter Olympics, but some notable names include Apolo Anton Ohno, who became the most decorated American Winter Olympian, winning 8 medals in total. Skier Marit Bjørgen of Norway also had a dominant performance, winning 5 medals, including 3 golds. Other standout athletes include Shaun White in snowboarding, Evgeni Plushenko in figure skating, and Bode Miller in alpine skiing.

4. What were some of the most memorable moments from past Winter Olympics?

The Winter Olympics have had many memorable moments throughout the years. Some of the most notable include the "Miracle on Ice" at the 1980 Olympics, when the underdog US hockey team defeated the Soviet Union in a stunning upset. The 1992 Olympics also had some historic moments, including the appearance of the Unified Team, made up of former Soviet republics, and the dominance of figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi, who became the first Asian American to win a gold medal in figure skating.

5. How have the Winter Olympics evolved over time?

The Winter Olympics have evolved significantly since their inception in 1924. One major change is the addition of new sports, such as snowboarding, freestyle skiing, and women's ice hockey. The Winter Olympics have also become more inclusive, with the inclusion of athletes from more diverse backgrounds and countries. The use of technology has also greatly impacted the games, with advancements in equipment and training techniques giving athletes a competitive edge. Additionally, there has been a shift towards more sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices in hosting the Olympics.

Back