1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Winter Physics Question

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    http://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=9243a84e58&view=att&th=13cca00ffc021b0c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-JSIKWxP2SILKnAZDSPntW&sadet=1360600148882&sads=XMagKLjppUEvSoI9GidqQVsXpcU

This is in the skylight of my attic. The snow piled up in such a way that there is a circular hole in the center. My theory is that the hot air from the room (obviously it is on the top floor) was hot enough to melt some of the snow, but the cold roof outside prevented melting close to the edges.

What else could it be?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I cannot see the image, and I think this is a general problem - the URL looks like some private email attachment.

With some directed flow of air, this might be possible. As alternative, the walls around the window could be colder than the window itself, and cool the outer parts.

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If the skylight is domed, the snow will tend to pile up more on the sides than on top.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook