Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Winter wind noisier?

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    When a 20 mph summer wind blows past my window I don't hear anything. When a 20 mph cold winter wind blows past my window I hear whistles and howls and moans. Is there an easy explanation for this?
    nantz

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

air is denser in winter and ( this will get me in trouble) sound travels more easily thru dense air vs hot disfussed air..my opinion

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

That was my first thought too. I'm wondering if there might also be more obstruction to the airflow, what with ice build-ups, snowbanks, and the like.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rather than more obstructions in winter I suspect it is the other way around: No leaves.

6. Dec 15, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That could have something to do with it, but I've noticed the effect in places where we didn't have trees.

7. Dec 15, 2008 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think viscosity.

8. Dec 15, 2008 #7
    I'm on the 6th floor, no trees, no snowbanks, no ice build-up, no utility wires to vibrate. But it sure is noisy.

9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    Your apparent noise levels are more likely due to different wind directions, depending on where you live and orientation of the window. Along east coast, USA, summer winds are usually from the southern quadrants, winter from the northern. So I hear louder winter wind noise from my northerly facing bedroom window....

I just skimmed Wikipedia on relative humidity:

"Water vapor is a lighter gas than air at the same temperature, so humid air will tend to rise by natural convection. This is a mechanism behind thunderstorms and other weather phenomena.."

If that's accurate, I'm thinking that winter wind IS more dense so at 20 mph has more momentum, hence more force than less dense summer air at the same wind speed....hence it has more force when it does blow against any surface.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?