Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Winter wonderland

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    We had snow showers in the night followed by clear skies in the morning. Time to grab a camera and immortalize it digitally.

Post your winter pix here.

5zihl1.jpg

ftm6c.jpg

2hx563a.jpg

fohao9.jpg

I wanted to pay him a visit but he was busy and darted away

kf18hy.jpg

2j2hooh.jpg

w0qoud.jpg

2s0lm44.jpg

24qpvlu.jpg

28uikiu.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

Ahh, so peaceful... Unfortunately we never get snow over here :biggrin:

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    Brilliant snow flakes. Rautavaara comes to mind.

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4
    Thanks

I was deleting redundant pics and almost deleted this one when I spotted the little orange spek just in the middle just off to the right. Notice the crop down right in the original size.

286z786.jpg

Lens was the 100 mm EF/USM macro, ISO 400, F 9 and Tv=1/800

6. Jan 30, 2010 #5
    This is all the Winter you get in San Diego:

KatieintheRainWEBsize.jpg

7. Jan 31, 2010 #6
    It seems the contrast between the dark branches and the pure white snow really brings out the chromatic aberration in my cheapo lenses. It was especially noticeable when editing the first shot.

4317920117_b1b4df769c.jpg

4299963495_ff3b565993.jpg

4299957253_59a6a2e7a9.jpg

3720108446_bcb3791511.jpg

3719295153_cf259dffec.jpg

8. Jan 31, 2010 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Lovely stuff guys. I have really been enjoying this winter. Much more snow and cold than we normally get

4259708888_b3f01c2923.jpg

9. Jan 31, 2010 #8

drizzle

Gold Member

I like it matthyaouw!! Did you do the walk? What was on your mind?!! :biggrin:

10. Jan 31, 2010 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Andre, you should have done this one as a photo contest theme! Look at all the lovely entries people have to offer. Nice photos everyone.

11. Jan 31, 2010 #10
    This is :uhh: the photo contest new style -not announcing it-, to see if we get more enthousiasm to post pictures. Maybe at the end everybody can select his most favorite picture for the vote.

12. Feb 1, 2010 #11
    I think it has more to do with the location of the thread. Not as many people fist this area.

13. Feb 1, 2010 #12
    I'm pretty sure I agree with you, hypatia, in that I think the contest gets way less exposure in this area. I liked it better on the general board.

However, the "fist" part, I'm not sure where you were going with that. :wink:

14. Feb 1, 2010 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: LOL!

We just have to get people more used to checking the new location.

15. Feb 2, 2010 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got tons of winter pics this year - most of them from nearby mountains. Here are some from a fabulous Saturday a few weeks ago:

This is a wilderness shelter in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I love how snow forms a wonderfully smooth blanket over the surfaces.

708ahv.jpg

Another great thing about winters is that with the low moisture content in the air, you get beautifully clear views on good days that are hard to match in the summertime. This is looking over the top of a snow flooded spruce forest in the same hills, taken a few hours later.

2aihlwk.jpg

And this is at dusk, that same day, from about 4500ft up.

6h6mn9.jpg

16. Mar 5, 2010 #15

turbo

Gold Member

17. Mar 5, 2010 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Awesome pictures gokul!

18. Apr 1, 2010 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Evo.

I'm still chasing winter conditions wherever I can get them. My most recent opportunity was at the March Meeting of the American Physical Society (APS), held this year in Portland, Oregon. Portland is just an hour away from the infamous Mt Hood, and about 2 hrs from the beautiful Mt St Helens, both volcanic mountains belonging to the Cascade Range. By staying on for the weekend, I was able (and fortunate, thanks to great weather and reasonably stable snowpack) to combine my APS conference with a couple of fabulous mountain days.

Pictures from Mt Hood climb (some pictures taken by my climbing partners):

- Shadow of Mt Hood cast by the morning sun - - Noxious rocks (smelled like hydrogen sulfide)
    34sq7vm.jpg 11rdm4z.jpg

Final push for the summit
    mrpwfo.png 2edcqrl.png 24mdjf8.png 1in2wp.png

Views from the summit: [1] St Helens (topless) [2] Mt Rainier (left) and Adams (closer to Hood)
    2ym7f9x.jpg b6vonn.jpg

Looking back from the descent
    2622sl4.jpg dqk4co.jpg

Other views of the mountain from the drive back (from the East, and North, respectively)
    143jo7l.jpg 2a7csc7.jpg

... will post pictures from the St Helens climb when I find more time ...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  19. Apr 1, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Great stuff, Gokul. I wish I still had knees that would permit such climbs. I can struggle uphill with some success, but downhill kills!

20. Apr 5, 2010 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks turbo. I'm hoping to get the most mileage out of my body while I still can.

As promised, below are pictures from St Helens (again, some pictures taken by my climbing partner):

Getting off to an Alpine start, with dawn breaking over the mountain slopes a few hours later.
    2cxj9qo.png 2nv42df.png

There were not too many folks ahead of us on the mountain, but there were dozens following.
    egvl2o.jpg 73nthf.jpg

Staying several feet from the crater's edge in reverence to the volcano gods (Rainier on horizon).
    j8mr9t.png 2nrq8bc.jpg

Animal, vegetable, and mineral
    2ccxi08.png

21. Dec 17, 2010 #20
    This morning, snow, snow, snow, paralysing the traffic and so. The last rose got herself a hat:

166hkxg.jpg

This was shot with ISO 6400 trying to capture the falling flurries. This is the result using a flash at ISO 100:

n3sw7k.jpg

One element that has to be taken into account is the noise induced by high ISO sensitivities, as is clear by these life size crops:

At ISO 100:

r9kaw7.jpg

and at ISO 6400:

8xvc4k.jpg

although with noise reduction the impact can be reduced somewhat but it also costs details and sharpness.

Shortly after the last pic, the rose bowed and dropped her hat.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook