Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WinXP incompatible?

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    I have Windows XP Pro, and there is a program--from an CD--I'm trying to install...

However, every time I try to install it--it always says:

~"This program requires Windows 95. Please install Windows 95 and then try again."

I've tried changing the compatibility settings for the setup file...but it doesn't work! !
    (the program won't install)

**How can I get the program to install?
    (what else can I try?)
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2
    use a virtual machine that runs win95...
    i havent done this myself with this program...
    but if you dont want to spend 200$ for something that would absolutly work (VMware or virtual PC)
    you could try xen for windows.
    use the freeDos image and try to install win95 on it if you still got it...

and i guess you can always just install win95 in a seperate partition and dual boot (though because win95 messes the MBR, you wont be able to boot to XP after you install win95, youd have to install a third party boot loader, or re-istall XP.. (there most probably are tools on the XP CD that would fix the MBR... but i havent used them... google it...)
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  4. May 13, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the help, but I finally got the program to install by modifying the installation instructions file; I changed the [Win95Only] variable to a "No" and deleted one DirectX procedure, so the program installs and runs perfectly.

This is the installations instructions log I found on the CD...on which I modified a few variables so the program would install:
    **Can anyone tell me what programming language writes declarations like this? This programming language also includes "Procedure...End Procedure" statements (exactly as written)...
  5. May 13, 2006 #4
    sounds like delphi, pascal based
  6. Aug 6, 2006 #5

omg! no way...I'm not sure if this thread is too old to be replied to - but I'm having exactly the same problems as the guy above who is trying to install cyberspeed.
    I'm not sure how you did it, if u opened the install.dll in notepad then modified it or what...but I really really want to know!

7. Aug 6, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

"open" the cd-rom as a folder, right click on the install/setup program, and set the compatability to Windows 98.
  8. Aug 6, 2006 #7
    no luck

nope, still no luck...didn't know about the compatability option - thanks for that - but shame it didn't work.
  9. Aug 6, 2006 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Open the install files with notepad.
    You can ignore the large ones like .exe, .dll or ??_.
    Something in the < 10K range like a .ini file.
    Other types besides .ini are used.

This is the best bet for parms like these.
    If you find it you will need to copy the CD to the HD.
    Edit the file and try install from HD copy.

A lot of old 98 Pgms (particuarly games) will start
    then fail as you play due to memory leaks.
    Win 98 didn't care, XP does.
  10. Aug 7, 2006 #9

Homework Helper

Keep setting the compatiblity for the .DLL's and the .EXE's on the cd-rom. Eventually it should work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?