Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wipe out an entire culture? You bet.

1. Sep 2, 2003 #1
    Read the entire story first.

Now, when I say I'm in favour of wiping out entire cultures, I do not say entire races or nations. I say "cultures". I am not in favour of killing all the people in that country. I am in favour of destroying the culture which is entrenched in that country, a culture which allows a man to marry a 9-year-old girl and then mutilate her. I am in favour of a massive multi-national military force moving in, burning every book of religion, law, and so on, and establishing (and enforcing) a fair social and legal system in which such crimes would be less likely to happen. Bring on the guns. Destroy that culture. Force them to accept a new way of life.

Would that be stepping on their right to self-determination? Yep. But that guy stepped on that young girl's rights to self-determination. My way protects the kids, at least, from a completely unjust society.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2003 #2
    Oh my God. Your ideas horrify me. How many innocents would die just so you would feel better thinking that "bad things" aren't happening in the world? How many people would you have to slaughter until you made everyone conform to your way of living?

I'm not supporting the man. I am saying that you have no right to decide who gets to live or die. Why do you get to decide what's right? Where does it end? What cultures do we destroy?

Your quest reminds me of another man's quest, but I haven't read everything he's had to say because I'm not so good at translating German.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?