Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wiping out life

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1
    Do u think humanity can, with its current technologies, wipe out all life on earth?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2
    Of course, with all those nukes and a massive dumping of all sorts of nasty chemicals into the oceans and air at the same time, I'm sure we could make something happen. I don't think anything like that'll ever happen though, somebody doesn't want our demise to be that quick. Our current way of dealing with the life scourge seems to be working out just fine.

4. Mar 30, 2006 #3
    Perhaps, the question ought to be: "Do you believe humanity is currently wiping out all life on earth?"

5. Mar 31, 2006 #4
    I think giant ammounts of microbes would survive any damage we did to the environment with nukes, chemicals or something else. The only way to wipe out all life could be by destroying the entire planet (maybe pushing it into the sun or a black hole).

6. May 13, 2006 #5
    no way, i think that like you said, some form of life would survive a world wide nuclear war. I would even say that humans at some part of the world would survive also. If this supposed nuclear war happened wouldn't major cities only be targeted? not every square mile where humans live no way....

7. May 13, 2006 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I recall reading something that I found (at the time) fairly profound in a Michael Crichton book (Jurassic Park).

"We haven't got the power to destroy the planet -- or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves." - Ian Malcolm

8. May 13, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Man's actions are, and will forever* remain irrelevant to the dominant portion of the Earth's biomass.

*A bit too dogmatic, perhaps.

9. May 13, 2006 #8
    I hold that humanity will do the exact opposite--it will translocate life from earth throughout the universe.

10. May 13, 2006 #9
    Perhaps, but only if humanity can learn to stop destroying the only inhabitable planet in our solar system.

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=703372006

11. May 13, 2006 #10
    Yes we have the technology to wipe out most of the complex organisms on our planet, including ourselves. And before it is said and done, we might wipe ourselves out, unless we seriously grow some brains in the next couple of centuries. It sounds a bit negative, but that's the way it goes.

12. May 14, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The vast majority of bacteria are extremely complex organisms, so no, we are NOT able to wipe out "most" complex organisms on Earth.
    It is factually wrong to say anything else than that we have the capacity to wipe out most non-bacterial life forms on Earth.

13. May 14, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have to disagree with you there arildno. I would consider bacteria to be one of the simplest lifeforms. They are prokaryotics and such; they have no nucleus, only one large circular chromosome, with smaller plasmids. They have no membrane bound organelles, mitochondria for example, they respire on infoldings of the cellmembrane called mesosomes. They exhibit no cell compartmentalisation.

~H

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  14. May 14, 2006 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Build a bacterium if you think it is a "simple" organism.
    Otherwise, it is to be regarded as complex.

15. May 14, 2006 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you care to point out something that you consider a simple organism that you can build?

~H

16. May 14, 2006 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Those await construction.
    Until that time, we have only complex organisms here on Earth. :smile:

17. May 14, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I think it is more likely that all the **** humans dump will cause mutations
    mostly for the worse, as for getting off this planet for greener pastures, dream on, we are on the edge of devolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?