Pulsing a 2W Laser Diode w/ 26 AWG Wire - Is Gauge Okay?

In summary, the gauge of the wire is okay, the current draw is around 1-2 amps, and the wire is less than 10 cm in length.
roeb
I am going to be pulsing a laser diode at around 2 Watt (room temperature) with a frequency of around 1-10 MHz. Right now I'm planning on using 26 AWG wire. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is okay? Is the gauge okay? Since it's pulsed I assume I don't have to worry as much about heat dissipation..

I'm not sure of the actual current draw but it should be around 1 - 2 amps.
According to this website http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity
the max free-air amperage is 2.2 A. I'm kind of skirting the boundary there...

Thanks,
roeb

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
roeb said:
I am going to be pulsing a laser diode at around 2 Watt (room temperature) with a frequency of around 1-10 MHz. Right now I'm planning on using 26 AWG wire. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is okay? Is the gauge okay? Since it's pulsed I assume I don't have to worry as much about heat dissipation..

I'm not sure of the actual current draw but it should be around 1 - 2 amps.
According to this website http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity
the max free-air amperage is 2.2 A. I'm kind of skirting the boundary there...

Thanks,
roeb

Why are you using 26AWG? How long is this cable? Since you should use twisted pair (TP) cable, why not use a piece of CAT-5 or CAT-6 TP? That's 24AWG, and easy to come by...

Hey, I guess I'm not using that stuff because I'm kind of short on supplies.

So the length of wire itself is less than 10 cm. I'm just soldering a BNC connector to a veroboard and using the AWG 26 wire to connect to diode. The signal pin of the BNC connector itself doesn't look all that much larger than the wire I'm using, but I'm not quite sure if I need to worry about the power that's going through the wire.

roeb said:
Hey, I guess I'm not using that stuff because I'm kind of short on supplies.

So the length of wire itself is less than 10 cm. I'm just soldering a BNC connector to a veroboard and using the AWG 26 wire to connect to diode. The signal pin of the BNC connector itself doesn't look all that much larger than the wire I'm using, but I'm not quite sure if I need to worry about the power that's going through the wire.

I don't think the AWG is a problem. But depending on the application, you may need to be careful about transmission line considerations. Do you have a 50 Ohm coax cable coming from somewhere that connects to the BNC connector on your board? Are you using TP to connect the center conductor and ground ring of the BNC to your diode's connections? Or are you using a ground plane on your board to route the ground of the BNC to the - terminal of the laser diode?

1. What does it mean to pulse a laser diode?

Pulsing a laser diode refers to turning the laser on and off in a controlled manner for a specific duration of time. This is done to control the amount of power and energy output from the laser.

2. Why is pulsing necessary for a 2W laser diode?

Pulsing is necessary for a 2W laser diode because it helps to prevent overheating and damage to the diode. Laser diodes are sensitive to overheating and pulsing helps to regulate the temperature and extend the lifespan of the diode.

3. What is the purpose of using 26 AWG wire for pulsing a laser diode?

The AWG (American Wire Gauge) rating of wire is an indication of its thickness. Using a 26 AWG wire for pulsing a laser diode is optimal because it is thick enough to handle the high current required for pulsing the diode, but not too thick to cause excessive resistance or heat buildup.

4. Is 26 AWG wire the only gauge that can be used for pulsing a 2W laser diode?

No, 26 AWG wire is not the only gauge that can be used for pulsing a 2W laser diode. Other gauges, such as 24 AWG or 28 AWG, can also be used as long as they are able to handle the required current without causing excessive resistance or heat buildup.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when pulsing a 2W laser diode with 26 AWG wire?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when pulsing a 2W laser diode with 26 AWG wire. This includes wearing appropriate eye protection, ensuring proper ventilation, and following the manufacturer's recommendations for pulsing duration and frequency. It is also important to use a current-limiting circuit to prevent overloading the diode and causing damage.

Back