Wire loop in magnetic field

In summary, we are given a magnetic field of B = k z ˆx and a square loop carrying a current I in the yz plane, centered at the origin. The force on the loop can be found using the equation Magnetic force=Integral (I X B) dl. The force on the two vertical sides of the loop cancel each other out, leaving a top force of I(a/2)B= I((a^2)/2)k. The force on the bottom horizontal portion of the loop is upwards, despite the magnetic field being out in the x direction and the current flowing counterclockwise to the right. This is because the magnetic field in the bottom section is in the (-x) direction.
Saraharris38

Homework Statement

Suppose that the magnetic field in some region has the form
B = k z ˆx.
(where k is a constant). Find the force on a square loop of side a, lying in the yz plane
and centered at the origin, if it carries a current I flowing counterclockwise when looking
down the x axis.

Homework Equations

Magnetic force=Integral (I X B) dl

The Attempt at a Solution

The force on the two vertical sides of the loop cancel each other out, and we are left with a top force of I(a/2)B= I((a^2)/2)k. The answer is I(a^2)k, meaning that at the bottom horizontal portion of the loop, the magnetic force is upwards. My question is why would it be upwards, given that the magnetic field is out (in the x direction), and the current, traveling counter-clockwise, is to the right at this part? According to the right-hand rule, shouldn't the magnetic force here be downwards?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At the bottom of the loop the magnetic field is in the (-x) direction since z<0. So the force experienced in the bottom section would be upwards as well.

Ah! Thank you, that makes sense.

What is a wire loop in a magnetic field?

A wire loop in a magnetic field is a simple circuit consisting of a loop of wire placed in a magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the charges in the wire, causing them to move and creating an electric current.

How does a wire loop in a magnetic field work?

A wire loop in a magnetic field works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a loop of wire is moved through a magnetic field, it experiences a change in magnetic flux, which generates a voltage and current in the wire.

What factors affect the strength of the current in a wire loop in a magnetic field?

The strength of the current in a wire loop in a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the wire, the angle between the wire and the magnetic field, and the resistance of the wire.

How is a wire loop in a magnetic field used in real-world applications?

Wire loops in magnetic fields have many practical applications, including generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in devices such as microphones and speakers to convert sound waves into electrical signals.

What is the difference between a wire loop in a magnetic field and a solenoid?

A wire loop in a magnetic field is a simple circuit, while a solenoid is a coil of wire wound in a helix shape. While both can produce a magnetic field, the solenoid is typically used to create a stronger and more uniform magnetic field.