Calculating Maximum Torque of Copper Wire Loop

In summary, a copper wire forms a one turn loop in the shape of a square with a cross-sectional area of 1.00 x 10^-4 m^2. When connected to a battery with a potential difference of 0.100 V and placed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.600 T, the maximum torque that can act on the loop is 198.53 N*m. The equation for torque, T=NBIAsin(theta), involves the area of the loop (A), not the cross-sectional area of the wire.
J89

Homework Statement

A copper wire is 9.00 m long and has a cross-sectional area of 1.00 10-4 m2. This wire forms a one turn loop in the shape of a square and is then connected to a battery that applies a potential difference of 0.100 V. If the loop is placed in a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.600 T, what is the maximum torque that can act on it? The resistivity of copper is 1.7 10-8 · m.

Homework Equations

T=BIANsin(theta)
I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

First solve for R, whicn =
Resistivity*L/A = 1.7e-8*9/(1e-4)
= .00153 ohms

then solve for current (I) = I=V/R = .100/.00153 = 65.359

Then plug in the equation for torque = T=NBIAsin(theta)
however I got.00392, but it's wrong, the answer is 198.53..I know it has something to do with A, but don't know what. Someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
J89 said:
Then plug in the equation for torque = T=NBIAsin(theta)
however I got.00392, but it's wrong, the answer is 198.53..I know it has something to do with A, but don't know what. Someone please help!
Yes, you're right! It does have something to do with A.

Your equation,
T=NBIAsinθ,
involves a wire loop. What does A refer to in in this equation? (Yes it is an area, but the area of what?) It's not the cross-sectional area of the wire itself that forms the loop. It's the area of something else. (Hint: think "loop" [and not necessarily a circular loop -- just any old loop -- perhaps one that's even rectangular or square].)

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum torque of a copper wire loop?

The formula for calculating maximum torque of a copper wire loop is T = I x B x A x N, where T is the maximum torque, I is the current, B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the loop, and N is the number of turns in the loop.

2. How do I determine the current and magnetic field strength for the calculation?

The current can be determined by using Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the wire. The magnetic field strength can be determined by using the equation B = μ0 x I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the radius of the wire loop.

3. Can I use this formula for any size or type of copper wire loop?

Yes, this formula can be used for any size or type of copper wire loop as long as the current and magnetic field strength are accurately determined.

4. How does the number of turns in the loop affect the maximum torque?

The number of turns in the loop directly affects the maximum torque, as it is a multiplier in the formula. The more turns in the loop, the higher the maximum torque will be.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum torque of a copper wire loop?

Other factors that can affect the maximum torque of a copper wire loop include the material and thickness of the wire, as well as the strength of the external magnetic field. The formula assumes a uniform magnetic field and a perfectly circular wire loop, so any deviations from these conditions may affect the accuracy of the calculation.