1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wire Magnetic Field Question

1. Jul 20, 2004 #1
    I cannot figure how this works..

A wire carries a 7.00 A current along the x-axis and another wire carries a 6.00 A current along the y-axis. What is the magnetic field at point p located at x=4.00m and y=3.00m.

Since each wire carries its own magnetic field, my instinct is saying that I just need to add the magnitude of the two fields. But that doesn't seem correct.

A speedy reply would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's all there is to it. Be sure you have the correct sign (direction) of each field when you add them.

4. Jul 20, 2004 #3
    So would the direction of the field in the y-direction be negative and the direction in the x-direction be positive?

I guess I would end up with something like....

Bnet = Bx - By

Sounds easy enough for me.

5. Jul 20, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The current along the y-axis creates a field (at the point in question) that is in the -z direction; the current along the x-axis creates a field in the +z direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?