Calculating Magnetic Flux: Understanding the Formula and Variables

In summary, we have a rectangular loop of wire with dimensions 24 cm by 72 cm that is bent into an L shape. The magnetic field in the vicinity of the loop has a magnitude of 0.034 T and points 22° below the y axis. The magnetic field has no x component. To find the magnitude of the magnetic flux through the loop, we need to calculate the flux through both the xz and xy planes and add them together. The angle between the magnetic field and the normal of the xy plane is 68°, so the flux through the xy plane is calculated by multiplying the area of that part of the loop by the magnetic field and the cosine of 68°. Adding this to the
wr1015
A rectangular loop of wire 24 cm by 72 cm is bent into an L shape, as shown in Figure 23-37. The magnetic field in the vicinity of the loop has a magnitude of 0.034 T and points in a direction = 22° below the y axis. The mangnetic field has no x component. Find the magnitude of the magnetic flux through the loop.

23-37alt.gif

why doesn't the formula [tex]\phi = BA cos \theta [/tex] work, when A = (.36)[tex]^2[/tex], [tex]\theta[/tex] = 22, and B = .034T?? what am i missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've done the part parallel to the xz plane, so what about the xy plane? Don't just blindly use the formula, think about which parts of the loop have magnetic flux going through them.

Physics Monkey said:
You've done the part parallel to the xz plane, so what about the xy plane? Don't just blindly use the formula, think about which parts of the loop have magnetic flux going through them.

don't you mean the yz plane?? the magnetic field doesn't have any x-component

No, I mean the xy plane. Why is that what I mean? Does the x component of the field have anything to do with the flux throught the xy plane?

Physics Monkey said:
No, I mean the xy plane. Why is that what I mean? Does the x component of the field have anything to do with the flux throught the xy plane?

i don't understand what you're talking about... all i know is that if the loop is perpendicular to the field [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 and if its parallel [tex]\theta[/tex] = 90

are you supposed to do 2 separate flux calcualtions (one for each plane) and add them accordingly?

Last edited:
You are going to have to do a little thinking here. I know you know more than just a formula. The flux is essentially how much field goes through the loop, right? So just by looking at your picture, can you tell if some of the field goes through the part of the loop in the xy plane. Just look and see.

Physics Monkey said:
You are going to have to do a little thinking here. I know you know more than just a formula. The flux is essentially how much field goes through the loop, right? So just by looking at your picture, can you tell if some of the field goes through the part of the loop in the xy plane. Just look and see.

yes it looks like it will eventually go through the xy plane

Good. However, remember that the field is at each point in space, so "eventually" isn't really the right word. The field does go through the xy plane part of the loop.

Ok, so now that you have your picture, try using your formula. What angle is the field at relative to the normal of the xy plane? Hint: it isn't just [tex] \theta = 22^\circ [/tex], but it's related to that angle.

Physics Monkey said:
Good. However, remember that the field is at each point in space, so "eventually" isn't really the right word. The field does go through the xy plane part of the loop.

Ok, so now that you have your picture, try using your formula. What angle is the field at relative to the normal of the xy plane? Hint: it isn't just [tex] \theta = 22^\circ [/tex], but it's related to that angle.

90-22 = 68.. right?

Good. Now calculate the flux through the xy plane and add it to your previous result to obtain the total flux through the loop.

Physics Monkey said:
Good. Now calculate the flux through the xy plane and add it to your previous result to obtain the total flux through the loop.

so ((.034) (.36*.36) (cos 22)) + ((.034) (.24 *.36) (cos 68)) ??

Almost right. Why did you put .36*.36 for the first area? Aren't both areas the same?

Edit: I see now that you had it wrong in your first post, and I missed it. Sorry about that.

Physics Monkey said:
Almost right. Why did you put .36*.36 for the first area? Aren't both areas the same?

Edit: I see now that you had it wrong in your first post, and I missed it. Sorry about that.

:redface: i see what you mean now.. thank you for your help, i really wished my book and professor would've explained this a lot better especially when dealing with different planes

What is wire magnetic flux?

Wire magnetic flux refers to the amount of magnetic field lines passing through a specific area of a wire. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field around a wire.

How is wire magnetic flux calculated?

Wire magnetic flux is calculated by taking the product of the strength of the magnetic field and the area of the wire that the field passes through. This is known as the magnetic flux density and is measured in teslas (T).

What factors can affect wire magnetic flux?

The strength of the magnetic field and the area of the wire are the main factors that can affect wire magnetic flux. Additionally, the material of the wire and the angle at which the field passes through the wire can also have an impact.

What are some real-world applications of wire magnetic flux?

Wire magnetic flux is used in various technologies such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also utilized in magnetic levitation systems and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field.

How can wire magnetic flux be increased?

Wire magnetic flux can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or increasing the area of the wire that the field passes through. This can be achieved by using stronger magnets or increasing the number of turns in the wire, respectively.