What does wire OReding an output mean?

In summary, wire ORing an output means connecting two wires together so that if there is a signal on either of them, there will be a signal when they are joined. This requires having outputs that are not affected by being forced high. This term is often used in reference to the uA311 precision comparator. Some may also write it as wire OR'ed.
swty todd
My textbook says that the output of comparators can be "wire ORed".

What does wire OReding an output mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Connect the two wires together.
If there is a signal on either of them the re wi be a signal when they are joined - it requires having outputs that aren't effected by you forcing them high

sorry i forgot to mention that the above sentence was in respect to uA311 precision comparator.

Not sure if this is clear to the OP. They are referring to the logical OR function. Some may prefer to write it slightly differently, as wire OR'ed, instead.

What does wire ORing an output mean?

Wire ORing an output means combining multiple wire signals using the logical OR operation. This creates a new output signal that is true if any of the input signals are true.

Why would I need to wire OR an output?

Wiring OR an output is useful when you want to create a new signal that is dependent on the state of multiple input signals. It allows you to create more complex logic and control multiple outputs with a single input.

What is the difference between wire ORing and wire ANDing an output?

Wire ORing and wire ANDing are two different logical operations used to combine multiple inputs. Wire ORing creates a new output signal that is true if any of the inputs are true, while wire ANDing creates an output signal that is true only if all of the inputs are true.

Can I wire OR digital and analog outputs?

No, wire ORing can only be done with digital signals. Analog signals require more complex operations such as addition or multiplication.

Is wire ORing reversible?

No, wire ORing is not reversible. Once multiple inputs are combined using the OR operation, it is not possible to separate them back into their original signals.