Wire Temperature Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the temperature in a particular gauge wire powered by a battery pack and designing the battery and wire specifications to maintain a desired temperature. It is mentioned that the existing electrical calculations assume increasing temperatures, and the importance of considering heat dissipation in order to achieve a relatively constant temperature is highlighted. It is also mentioned that estimating the temperature may be more challenging than measuring it directly.
bdmonist
I am looking to determine the temperature in a certain gauge wire, fed by a battery pack. I am looking to design the battery requirements and wire size in order to maintain a certain temperature. The electrical calculations (I am not an electrical engineer) I have found all assume continually increasing temperatures. Am I right in assuming that I would need to calculate the heat dissipation using heat transfer calcs in order to determine the relatively constant temperature that would be obtained based on my parameters? Or is there a straight forward calc that can be used to estimate (I do not need exact temps) the temps that would be maintained in the wire? All help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you continually put heat into something but it can't escape, the temperature will keep rising.

So, yes, you do need to consider the cooling as well as the heating.

Unfortunately, this is probably more difficult to estimate than to actually build it up and measure it.

, your approach to determining the temperature in a certain gauge wire is correct. In order to accurately calculate the temperature, you will need to use heat transfer calculations to determine the heat dissipation in the wire. This will take into account factors such as the wire material, length, and surrounding environment. As you mentioned, the electrical calculations found online may assume continually increasing temperatures, but in reality, the temperature will reach a steady state once the heat generated by the current flow is balanced by the heat dissipation.

There is not a straightforward calculation that can be used to estimate the temperature, as it will depend on multiple variables. However, by using heat transfer calculations, you can determine a relatively constant temperature that will be maintained in the wire. This will allow you to design the battery requirements and wire size to maintain the desired temperature.

I would recommend consulting with an electrical engineer or using specialized software to perform these heat transfer calculations, as they can be complex and require a thorough understanding of the principles involved. Additionally, it may be helpful to conduct experiments or simulations to validate your calculations and ensure the accuracy of your results.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in your design process. Remember, accurate temperature calculations are crucial in ensuring the safety and efficiency of your wire system.

1. What is the formula for calculating wire temperature?

The formula for calculating wire temperature is: Temperature = (Power x Resistance x Distance) / (Cross-sectional area x Thermal conductivity).

2. How do I determine the power of the wire?

The power of the wire can be determined by multiplying the current flowing through the wire by the voltage across it. This value is usually measured in watts.

3. What is the role of resistance in wire temperature calculations?

Resistance plays a crucial role in wire temperature calculations as it determines how much heat is generated in the wire. The higher the resistance, the more heat is generated, and the higher the wire temperature will be.

4. What factors can affect wire temperature calculations?

The factors that can affect wire temperature calculations include the wire's material, length, cross-sectional area, thermal conductivity, and the amount of current flowing through it.

5. How can I ensure accurate wire temperature calculations?

To ensure accurate wire temperature calculations, it is important to use the correct formula, gather accurate measurements of the wire's properties, and consider all relevant factors that may affect the wire's temperature. It is also recommended to double-check calculations and seek guidance from experts if needed.