How to calculate wire extension from tension and Young's modulus?

In summary, a 5.0 mm diameter wire supports a 2.8 kg load with a tension of 28N. The wire's original length was 2.0m and its extension when supporting the load is calculated to be 0.18 x 10^-3 m using the equation E = Fl/A(ex).
lemon

Homework Statement

A wire of diameter 5.0 mm supports a 2.8kg load.
(a) Determine the tension in the wire
(b) The original length of the wire was 2.0m Calculate its extension when supporting the load.

Homework Equations

Young's modulus for the material of the wire = 2.0 x 10^7N m^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Tension - Weight = mass x acceleration
acceleration is 0
Therefore
Tension = Weight
W=mg=2.8 x 10
=28N

b) I have the equation E=(force(F)/area(A)) / (extension(ex)/original length(l))
Can I:
(F x ex) = (A x l)
ex= (A x l)/F?

Which would give ((2.5x10^-3)x2.0) / 28 = 0.18x10^-3m (2s.f.)

Please let me know if my method is good?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
lemon said:

Homework Statement

A wire of diameter 5.0 mm supports a 2.8kg load.
(a) Determine the tension in the wire
(b) The original length of the wire was 2.0m Calculate its extension when supporting the load.

Homework Equations

Young's modulus for the material of the wire = 2.0 x 10^7N m^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Tension - Weight = mass x acceleration
acceleration is 0
Therefore
Tension = Weight
W=mg=2.8 x 10
=28N
Yes, good.
b) I have the equation E=(force(F)/area(A)) / (extension(ex)/original length(l))
Yes. since (F/A)/(ex/l) is Fl/A(ex) , you might want to rewrite it as E = Fl/A(ex)
Can I:
(F x ex) = (A x l)
ex= (A x l)/F?
your algebra is off. Use the formula I gave you, multiply both sides by (ex), and then divide both sides by E , and see what you get for ex = ? You should also check your units to see if you are getting (ex) in length units; if you are not, then your equation is wrong.

1. What is wire tension and how is it measured?

Wire tension refers to the force applied to a wire in order to keep it taut. It is typically measured in units of force such as pounds or newtons using specialized equipment like tension gauges or load cells.

2. How does wire tension affect wire extension?

Wire tension has a direct impact on wire extension, as an increase in tension will result in an increase in wire extension. This is because the force applied to the wire causes it to stretch and become longer.

3. What factors can affect wire tension and extension?

There are several factors that can affect wire tension and extension, including the material and thickness of the wire, the amount of force applied, and the environment in which the wire is being used (e.g. temperature, humidity, etc.).

4. Why is wire tension important in certain applications?

In certain applications, such as suspension bridges or musical instruments, wire tension is crucial for maintaining the structural integrity and functionality of the system. Proper tension ensures that the wire can withstand the required load and perform its intended function effectively.

5. How can wire tension and extension be controlled?

Wire tension and extension can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the amount of force applied to the wire, using tensioning devices, or altering the temperature and humidity of the environment. It is important to carefully monitor and maintain the tension and extension of wires in order to ensure safe and efficient operation.