How Is the Tension in the Right Support Wire Calculated?

In summary, the question is about finding the tension in the right support wire for a beam with a length of 20 m and a mass of 330 kg, suspended by two wires. The beam is also supporting a box with a mass of 220 kg, hanging from a wire 15 m away from the left edge of the beam. The correct way to solve this problem is to use moments and consider superposition. The sum of the moments must be zero and the beam is evenly distributed by the wires, while the box is not.
pkossak
Two wires support a beam of length L=20 m and mass 330
kg as shown in the figure above. A box of mass 220 kg hangs
from a wire which hangs from the beam a distance x=15 m
away from the left edge of the beam. What is the tension in
the RIGHT support wire? (in N)

I just did an (at least I thought...) similar problem to this, and got the answer correct. For the life of me, I don't know why this would be different. This is what I've been doing..

center of beam = 0 m, so

10 m*(330/2 kg * 9.81) + 5 m*(220 kg * 9.81) = 10 m* x N

the only difference is that the weight of the beam wasn't given in the question I got correct, and I was solving for the weight of box. :confused: why would this be different?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the beam contributes a tension of (330/2 kg * 9.81 m/s2) on each wire suspending the beam.

Check your moments. The sum of the moments is zero (statics). Look at the moments about the left side (left pivot).

Also think about superposition. The beam is evenly distributed by the wires, the 220 kg box is not.

First of all, great job on solving the previous problem correctly! It's always good to review and understand the concepts before moving on to more complex problems like this one.

In this case, the weight of the beam is given as 330 kg, so we need to take that into account when calculating the tension in the right support wire. The key concept here is that the beam itself is being supported by two wires, so the weight of the beam is being distributed between the two wires.

To solve this problem, we need to use the principle of moments, which states that the sum of the moments on an object must equal zero for it to be in equilibrium. In this case, we can say that the sum of the moments on the beam must equal zero, since it is not rotating or moving.

So, using the principle of moments, we can set up the equation:

(10 m * 330 kg * 9.81 m/s^2) + (5 m * 220 kg * 9.81 m/s^2) - (15 m * T) = 0

Where T is the tension in the right support wire. Solving for T, we get:

T = (10 m * 330 kg * 9.81 m/s^2) + (5 m * 220 kg * 9.81 m/s^2) / 15 m

T = 2589 N

So, the tension in the right support wire is 2589 N. It may seem counterintuitive that the weight of the beam affects the tension in the right support wire, but this is due to the distribution of weight between the two wires. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you!

What is wire tension physics?

Wire tension physics is the study of the force applied to a wire in order to maintain its shape and stability. It involves understanding the relationship between the tension force, wire properties, and external forces acting on the wire.

What factors affect wire tension?

There are several factors that can affect wire tension, including the type and thickness of the wire, the distance between supports, and the external forces applied to the wire. Additionally, temperature and material properties can also impact wire tension.

How is wire tension calculated?

Wire tension is typically calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension force, F is the force applied to the wire, and L is the length of the wire. This formula is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the tension force is directly proportional to the force applied and the length of the wire.

Why is wire tension important?

Wire tension is important because it plays a crucial role in maintaining the structural integrity and stability of objects such as bridges, suspension cables, and electrical wires. Proper tension ensures that the wire can withstand external forces and maintain its shape without breaking or deforming.

How can wire tension be adjusted?

Wire tension can be adjusted by changing the force applied to the wire, altering the distance between supports, or adjusting the properties of the wire itself. Specialized equipment, such as tension gauges, can also be used to accurately measure and adjust wire tension.