How Do Wire Characteristics Affect the Notes They Emit?

In summary, the problem involves two wires with different lengths, tensions, and diameters, and the question asks for the ratio of the notes they emit when sounded together by the same source. The notes refer to the frequencies of the sound emitted by the vibrating wires. The length of the wire plays a role in determining the wavelength, and the "same source" is referring to the fundamental frequency. The solution involves using equations for velocity and wavelength, and understanding the concept of standing waves.
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

The lengths of two wires are in the ratio 1:2, their tensions are in the ratio 1:2 and their diameters in the ratio 1:3 . The ratio of the notes they emit when sounded together by the same source is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How to do this problem...What exactly are notes...A google search didnt help much...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

"Notes" means a musicalnote, that is the frequency of the sound emitted by a vibrating wire. Your textbook should have a discussion, and relevant equations that involve quantities mentioned in the problem statement (tension, wire length).

Ok...so notes are simply their frequencies?
ok if so then i am assuming both wires to be of the same material...I have velocity given by √(T/density*A) ...here T = tension , A=cross sectional area...Now i have the ratio of their velocities...But if i want to use f=v/wavelegth i don't have wavelength...SO how do i go about it? and does the length of the wires play any role?

Thank you for your reply...

Yes, the notes are the frequencies. And yes, the length of wire plays a role in the wavelength; the wavelength is determined by the length of the wire. (There is probably a figure showing this in your textbook or lecture notes.)

Are you talking about the concept of standing waves where the length is an integral multiple of (wavelength/2). In this case they are not talking about any particular frequency (fundamental or 2nd overtone 3rd overtone whatever...)...So how do i get the wavelength?

And what is the significance of saying that they are from the same source?

The note is the frequency of the fundamental. I'm not sure what the "same source" refers to.

Ok...i got it using the fact that notes is corresponding to the fundamental frequency...Thanks...

1. What is wire tension?

Wire tension refers to the amount of force applied to a wire, typically in a specific direction. This force is often measured in units of pounds or newtons.

2. Why is wire tension important?

Wire tension is important because it affects the stability and performance of structures and machines that use wires, such as bridges, cranes, and elevators. Too much or too little tension can cause wires to break or become slack, leading to potential safety hazards.

3. How is wire tension calculated?

Wire tension is calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the wire, and L is the length of the wire.

4. What factors can affect wire tension?

There are several factors that can affect wire tension, including the type and thickness of the wire, the material it is made of, the temperature, and any external forces acting on the wire. Additionally, the method of attaching the wire and the angle at which it is attached can also impact tension.

5. How can wire tension be adjusted?

Wire tension can be adjusted by changing the force applied to the wire or by altering the attachment points or angles of the wire. In some cases, adjusting the temperature or using different types of wire may also impact tension.