Wire tensions homework

Homework Statement

The lengths of two wires are in the ratio 1:2, their tensions are in the ratio 1:2 and their diameters in the ratio 1:3 . The ratio of the notes they emit when sounded together by the same source is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How to do this problem....What exactly are notes...A google search didnt help much....

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

"Notes" means a musicalnote, that is the frequency of the sound emitted by a vibrating wire. Your textbook should have a discussion, and relevant equations that involve quantities mentioned in the problem statement (tension, wire length).

Ok.....so notes are simply their frequencies?
ok if so then i am assuming both wires to be of the same material....I have velocity given by √(T/density*A) ...here T = tension , A=cross sectional area.....Now i have the ratio of their velocities.....But if i want to use f=v/wavelegth i dont have wavelength....SO how do i go about it? and does the length of the wires play any role?

Thank you for your reply.....

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Yes, the notes are the frequencies. And yes, the length of wire plays a role in the wavelength; the wavelength is determined by the length of the wire. (There is probably a figure showing this in your textbook or lecture notes.)

Are you talking about the concept of standing waves where the length is an integral multiple of (wavelength/2). In this case they are not talking about any particular frequency (fundamental or 2nd overtone 3rd overtone whatever....).....So how do i get the wavelength?

And what is the significance of saying that they are from the same source?

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

The note is the frequency of the fundamental. I'm not sure what the "same source" refers to.

Ok.....i got it using the fact that notes is corresponding to the fundamental frequency....Thanks...