How can I properly wire a variac to control the speed of a 240v fan?

• Thread starter bicc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the conversation is regarding the use of a variac to control the speed of a Ruck fan with a 95W 230V 0.45A AC induction motor. The expert advises against using the variac as a speed control since it may exceed the ratings and cause the motor to run hot. They also mention that AC induction motors do not regulate speed well by varying voltage. They suggest using a variable frequency drive for better speed regulation.
bicc
anyone point me in the right way to wire this variac up correctly...i'm wanting to control the speed of a fan running at 240v

Attachments

• new variac.jpg
    new variac.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 500
  • variac2.jpg
    variac2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC00312.jpg
    DSC00312.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 531
Engineering news on Phys.org

What type of motor does the fan use? You may not be able to it at all.

howdy Averagesupernova

its a ruck fan 6"
power 95w
voltage 230v
amp 0.45

If it is not a universal motor capable of running on DC it will not work.

Averagesupernova said:
If it is not a universal motor capable of running on DC it will not work.

AC induction motors will work just fine with variacs. I know this for a fact because I once worked for a manufacturer of AC induction motors. We used variacs all the time for powering and testing the motors.

Connect incoming power to terminals 2 and 5. Connect the motor to terminals 2 and 3.

Edit:
AC induction motors do not speed regulate very well without a variable frequency drive. Depending on the motor, it may be possible to get some speed regulation, but it will be inefficient and the motor may get hot.

Last edited:

TurtleMeister said:
Edit:
AC induction motors do not speed regulate very well without a variable frequency drive. Depending on the motor, it may be possible to get some speed regulation, but it will be inefficient and the motor may get hot.

No way. A huge advantage of AC induction motors is that they regulate speed quite well at a set line frequency. Any induction motor I have seen that is run at line frequency (60 hertz) and reduced voltage will draw more current and heat up. The motors I have experience with a multiple horsepower, not a fractions of fractions like a small fan motor.

Most small fan motors are shaded pole motors. They have the disadvantage of low starting torque and very low efficiency, even at their designed operating voltage. But they also have the advantage of allowing some speed control below the synchronous speed. There normal operating speed is around 10% below synchronous.

The best I can tell from my google searching, the Ruck 6" motor is NOT a shaded pole motor. Therefore, I would not recommend using it with the variac as a speed control. Doing so would probably exceed the ratings of your variac and cause your motor to run hot.

Edit:
Averagesupernova, when I said ac induction motors do not speed regulate very well, I was referring to the fact that it is difficult to regulate the speed by varying the voltage. I can see how the sentence could be misinterpreted. Poor wording.

Last edited:

1. How do I wire a variac correctly?

To wire a variac correctly, first identify the input and output terminals on the device. Then, connect the power source (usually AC voltage) to the input terminals and the load to the output terminals. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate wiring techniques to ensure safety and proper functionality.

2. What is the purpose of a variac?

A variac, short for variable autotransformer, is used to vary the output voltage of an electrical circuit. It is commonly used in scientific experiments or electrical testing to control the amount of voltage supplied to a device or system.

3. Can I use any power source with a variac?

No, variacs are designed to work with specific power sources such as AC voltage. Using a different power source could damage the variac and potentially be dangerous. Always check the specifications of the variac and ensure that your power source is compatible before wiring it up.

4. Is it safe to wire a variac myself?

It is generally safe to wire a variac yourself as long as you take proper precautions and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Make sure to work with the power off and use appropriate wiring techniques to avoid electrical hazards. If you are unsure, it is best to seek the help of a trained professional.

5. What should I do if my variac is not working?

If your variac is not working, first check the power source and make sure it is connected properly. If that is not the issue, check the wiring connections to ensure they are secure and correct. If the variac still does not work, it may be a malfunction and you may need to consult the manufacturer or seek professional help.