Wireless Data Transmitting

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is there any way to transmit USB data over the air easily?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

you could get a usb wireless NIC :) I really know nothing about what you are trying to do, but thats an easy way to do short distances.

i am trying to connect 2 ti-89 titanium calculators together wirelesly, but with the same data that is being sent over the USB cable. Is there a way I can easily do this (also on the cheap)

Last edited:
NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Don't know about cheap, but something like this
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audiovideo/computer-accessories/usb/usb-extenders/gefen-wireless-usb-2-0-extender-ext-wusb-4p/prodEXTWUSB4P.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also like portable and be able to make it myself out of sample chips

Like would I be able to make it a simple circuit. I am fairly good with electronics.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can buy off the shelf bluetooth transceivers that will probably solve your problem, but as far as I know, there is no standard for "wireless USB."

- Warren

russ_watters
Mentor
You can buy off the shelf bluetooth transceivers that will probably solve your problem, but as far as I know, there is no standard for "wireless USB."

- Warren
There is, it just hasn't exactly caught on yet:.
Wireless USB is a short-range, high-bandwidth wireless radio communication protocol created by the Wireless USB Promoter Group.

In October 2006 the FCC approved the first complete Host Wire Adapter (HWA) and Device Wire Adapter (DWA) wireless USB solution from WiQuest Communications for both outdoor and indoor use. Since then, in mid-2007 Belkin, Dell, Lenovo and D-Link began shipping products that incorporated WiQuest technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377793 [Broken]

I actually didn't realize it was available yet. I may need to get one of these so I don't have to have a 30' cable running out to my telescope anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:

- Warren
how much will those run me?

Hopefully, you're not using this for cheating purposes :p

no, I just have wanted to do this for a while and finally have the time to do something like it. Also, there is a really cool chat program for the 89 titanium via link cable. I want to do the same thing like between desks to compare notes and stuff. not to cheat

any way can i get some help?

"Like would I be able to make it a simple circuit. I am fairly good with electronics."

> then we can try RF circuits, if u can move audio with them , then u can also move data. I have also been willing to give it a try a year ago and this is the first topic i found about it. i beleave RF circuit can help around this. lets give it a go.

well iv been able to replace a single usb cable for my usb webcam with an RF circuit for a short distance about 5m, i can still view a clear image. i will make three more circuits for other 3 cables and see if its real wireless.

in total i will need 8 of the circuits (that is: 4 to pc and 4 to cam), am not that good with circuits but i hope someone will help intergrate all of them into two circuits ( 1 to pc and 1 to cam).