Wireless internet access while travelling

In summary: And for the most part, I don't think you can get signal from a laptop while driving down the highway.
z4955
is it possible to connect to the internet with a laptop computer from a moving vehicle while going down the highway and if so how? someone informed me that all you need is for the laptop to be wifi enabled and to purchase a wifi card for it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
z4955 said:
is it possible to connect to the internet with a laptop computer from a moving vehicle while going down the highway and if so how? someone informed me that all you need is for the laptop to be wifi enabled and to purchase a wifi card for it.
Aside from a self-pointing satellite dish on the roof (its not wifi, but they do exist) and a handful of special cases, no. Philadelphia is considering a plan to cover the entire city with free wireless access and somewhere in the midwest (Kansas?) is a 1000 foot tower that provides a 30 or 50 mile radius of coverage, but other than that, there just isn't the same kind of coverage of WiFi as for cell phones (some cell phone companies offer internet access through the phones though).

Last edited:
Dont know about the states, but in Europe we have GPRS and GPRS cards, that you can plug into a Laptop and connect to a GSM network and surf the internet... Actually I have been in this excat senario, I was driving and my colegue was using MSN messeneger on his lappy while I was doing 120K/H down the freeway.

http://l8shop.net/Products/Vodaphone_Mobile_Connect_3G_GPRS_Data_Card.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
Dont know about the states, but in Europe we have GPRS and GPRS cards, that you can plug into a Laptop and connect to a GSM network and surf the internet... Actually I have been in this excat senario, I was driving and my colegue was using MSN messeneger on his lappy while I was doing 120K/H down the freeway.

Yeah, this is a really fine way, and with the late spreading of GPRS can finally get a decent amount of bandwith to really get the essentials done pretty much anywhere.

Anttech said:

We have GPRS here too, its just basically only used in cell phones.

z4995 said:

No, that's really not true. You do need that, but you'll also need a signal from a wireless transmitter. Most cards on the market only have ranges of about 300 feet or so (wireless B cards anyway, new ones might go farther, i dunno).

Incidentally, once while riding in a car through Santa Barbara traffic was so bad, and the houses so close to the freeway that i was able to get internet access on someone's wireless network for a few minutes.

Of course, this is a bad thing for whoever's network that was, because i shouldn't have been able to that. Unless they want people to be able to view their network traffic and try to steal their credit card numbers.

You can already get GPRS access through http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/2226761 here in the states, but the bandwidth is very limited compared to WiFi.

1. What is wireless internet access while travelling?

Wireless internet access while travelling, also known as Wi-Fi, refers to the ability to connect to the internet wirelessly while on the go. This allows individuals to access the internet on their devices without being restricted to a wired connection.

2. How does wireless internet access while travelling work?

Wireless internet access while travelling works by using a wireless network, often provided by a hotel, restaurant, or other public location. This network utilizes radio waves to transmit data between the user's device and the internet, allowing for a wireless connection.

3. Is it safe to use wireless internet access while travelling?

While using any form of public Wi-Fi does come with some risks, there are steps that can be taken to ensure a safe connection. These include using a virtual private network (VPN) and avoiding accessing sensitive information, such as banking or personal accounts, while on a public Wi-Fi network.

4. How can I find wireless internet access while travelling?

Most hotels, restaurants, and airports offer free Wi-Fi for customers. Additionally, many cities have public Wi-Fi networks available in popular tourist areas. It is also possible to purchase a portable Wi-Fi device or use a mobile hotspot through a cellular provider.

5. What are the benefits of using wireless internet access while travelling?

One of the main benefits of using wireless internet access while travelling is convenience. It allows individuals to stay connected and access information, such as maps and directions, while on the go. It also eliminates the need for additional cables or equipment, making it a more convenient option for travellers.