1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless Internet Connection

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    I had an idea the other day that if I could set up a wireless connection from my laptop to my pc which is connected to the internet via cable I could work on my laptop down the road (in a pub or park depending on the weather) I guess it would involve some protocol like bluetooth has anybody done a similar thing ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

http://www.linksys.com/

Range is an issue though: you need highly focused directional antennas at the very least.

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    Should not be to much much of a problem got a new place in a loft conversion which is higher than most other surrounding buildings and has visual of the park I was thinking chilling out err working in ~ 100 meters. But I guess I would need some sort of wireless modem or somthing to stick in my laptop for the other end as well.

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4
    you need a wireless PCMCIA card for your laptop. most routers only transmit up to a 100m so you will need some way of getting the signal a little farther.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?