Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless Internet Connection

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    I had an idea the other day that if I could set up a wireless connection from my laptop to my pc which is connected to the internet via cable I could work on my laptop down the road (in a pub or park depending on the weather) I guess it would involve some protocol like bluetooth has anybody done a similar thing ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

http://www.linksys.com/

Range is an issue though: you need highly focused directional antennas at the very least.

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    Should not be to much much of a problem got a new place in a loft conversion which is higher than most other surrounding buildings and has visual of the park I was thinking chilling out err working in ~ 100 meters. But I guess I would need some sort of wireless modem or somthing to stick in my laptop for the other end as well.

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4
    you need a wireless PCMCIA card for your laptop. most routers only transmit up to a 100m so you will need some way of getting the signal a little farther.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?