Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless Mice

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    I have two wireless mice both made by microsoft. These things always stop working. What a rip off! You have to turn the batteries and fiddle with them until they make good contact so that the light will shine brightly enough to work. This problem is the same on both of them! They also go through batteries way to fast. I want a refund! :cry: Anyone else use these mice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2
    i haven't encountered any problem in my years of using microsoft's optical mouse. but i've always used the wired version. wireless isn't ideal when playing first person shooters or games in general.

i saw some models of this sleek looking laser mouse. are they any better performance-wise

4. Jan 30, 2006 #3
    No, its actually better. U dont get hung up from the wire taking up tension and screwing up your movement. U can move around with ease! :smile:

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4
    I use a logitech wireless mouse and so far I've never had any problems with it, battery life kind of sucks but that's it....even that's not to bad I've pretty much had it on constantly since July and I've changed batteries twice, I can't complain.

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5
    I love my logitech one, but batteries can be a real pain. I'm actually using a logitech corded optical right now because I have no AAs and I am too busy/lazy to go to the store to get some.

7. Jan 30, 2006 #6
    Wireless mice are definitely better for running mazes. I always had trouble with those cords getting messed up in there before.

8. Jan 31, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with the_pro. Unless you are limited by clock speed or your video card, very fast movements can confound most mid-range optical mice (wireless or not).

9. Jan 31, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But it seems rather cruel to snip off their tails. :biggrin:

10. Jan 31, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey, atleast we aren't hunting mice. :wink:

11. Jan 31, 2006 #10

Mk

I am a professional mouse hunter, you don't have to come out like that man. I have a family to feed!!

12. Jan 31, 2006 #11
    But the junk I have is the microsoft intelitype/point mouse. Whata piece of crap.

13. Jan 31, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

blasphemy!

For those with wireless mouses and always having to toss out dead batteries, get Radioshack 15 minute quick recharge NiMH batteries. 15 minutes exactly! I've used the same 2 batteries for at least a year, 24/7 (computer doesnt turn off)

14. Jan 31, 2006 #13
    I dont know, that sounds expensive. I would rather just throw this thing out the window and run it over with my car.

15. Jan 31, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: But the tails make them easier to catch. :devil:

16. Jan 31, 2006 #15
    Oh wow, I'm glad someone else had this problem. I had exactly the same thing, I took the battery cover off because I had to adjust the batteries so often. It used to drive me crazy.
    Anyway, one day I'd had a really bad day, sat down to do something, and had to keep adjusting the batteries every 3 seconds. So long story short, I beat the hell out of it against the corner of my desk until it was in pieces (it was a very bad day), and now I use one with a wire.

17. Jan 31, 2006 #16

I've never had these sorts of problems with my logitech. Just the batteries die. Well, actually, I can do what you describe, flipping the batteries in and out every couple hours and prolong a set of double AAs for an extra day or so just to avoid having to go to the store. Gah, I am lazy.

18. Jan 31, 2006 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are evil. :devil:

*evil laugh*

19. Jan 31, 2006 #18
    I tried the wireless mouse and loved it for the first six hours when it worked. I had the same incredibly fast battery depletion problems, and then, after about three weeks, it stopped working properly at all. I was ticked. It cost something like $35. I switched to a wired optical mouse and haven't had any problems at all with it. I don't reccomend wireless at all.

20. Jan 31, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only 6 hours?! I got a wireless mouse with my new computer at home, and have had it on for 11 days straight now (I don't see any off buttons on it), and it still is going just fine (though, I always have wired mice around as a back-up if it runs out of juice when I don't have batteries to put in it). If I were going to buy one separately though, I'd probably get one that's rechargeable...just leave it in its little docking station when you're not using it and it's always ready to go.

21. Jan 31, 2006 #20
    I have a Dell wireless optical and the batteries last about a month or a bit more, and the wireless keyboard's batteries last even longer. When I get my laptop in a few months I'm just gonna get a good old wired mouse (I hate the touchpad). I wonder if the mice use a lot of battery power when they're idle (and mine has what I call its 'heartbeat,' where the red light just pulses lightly when it's idle). If so, maybe someone should make a mouse that you can turn off when you're not using it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?