What could be causing my wireless network to keep dropping and how can I fix it?

In summary: I would try moving the computer to the living room and see if that solves the problem. In summary, the author's two problems are that the computers keep dropping the wireless connection and that he is not able to share files or printers between the computers on the network.
incognito41
I recently bought a belkin 54Mbps/wireless (g) router. i also bought the accompanying wireless pci cards for my two computers. one computer runs windows xp pro and the other runs windows xp home, and a third computer runs windows 98 SE and is connected with ehternet. my problems are with the two XP computers. I've gotten both to recognize the router and use the internet. i have two problems, though, that i cannot fix.
first, the computers keep dropping the wireless connection and i have to click on repair for them to find it again. the network is selected as my default and it's set to connect automatically. also i am using WEP security encryption and the passwords are fine for all three units. is there some setting I'm missing that i need to change to make sure the computers stay connected?
Also, i created a network with one computer and used the network disk it created to create the network on the other. both computers recognize the network. and my computer with XP pro sees the two other computers as does the wired 98 SE comp. these two also can access each other's files. the problem is with the comp running XP home. this one doesn't even recognize the other computers and the other two can see it but can't access it. I've tried sharing folders on this xp home computer with full access. the computer sees the network but can't see the three computers on it. it doesn't even display itself. I'm not sure how to fix this since i set it's network settings identical to the other windows xp machine. i selected share files and printers in the network setup.
all three computers are in the same room but one will eventually be moved to the living room and i'd like to have this worked before i move it. i don't think i'd like to try and find a 100' cable to run across my house.
thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
incognito41 said:
I recently bought a belkin 54Mbps/wireless (g) router. i also bought the accompanying wireless pci cards for my two computers. one computer runs windows xp pro and the other runs windows xp home, and a third computer runs windows 98 SE and is connected with ehternet. my problems are with the two XP computers. I've gotten both to recognize the router and use the internet. i have two problems, though, that i cannot fix.
first, the computers keep dropping the wireless connection and i have to click on repair for them to find it again. the network is selected as my default and it's set to connect automatically. also i am using WEP security encryption and the passwords are fine for all three units. is there some setting I'm missing that i need to change to make sure the computers stay connected?

Sounds like just signal quality/interference problems. I've had weird problems like that with laptops on wireless, and even with my desktop on wireless. I've had a laptop fail to see the signal of a wireless router (Linksys in that particular case) that was about 3 feet away in the same room. I occasionally have that problem with my linux box and its wireless connection to the belkin 54g.

Also, i created a network with one computer and used the network disk it created to create the network on the other. both computers recognize the network. and my computer with XP pro sees the two other computers as does the wired 98 SE comp. these two also can access each other's files. the problem is with the comp running XP home. this one doesn't even recognize the other computers and the other two can see it but can't access it. I've tried sharing folders on this xp home computer with full access. the computer sees the network but can't see the three computers on it. it doesn't even display itself. I'm not sure how to fix this since i set it's network settings identical to the other windows xp machine. i selected share files and printers in the network setup.

all three computers are in the same room but one will eventually be moved to the living room and i'd like to have this worked before i move it. i don't think i'd like to try and find a 100' cable to run across my house.
thanks everyone.

Well, the signal problem is something that may or may not be better depending on where you place the computers.

The computers are all within 5 feet of the router and the one having trouble is the closest to the router. This computer also has the same problem sharing whether it’s connected to the router directly or through wireless. Also the connections always show full 54Mbps connection.

incognito41 said:
The computers are all within 5 feet of the router and the one having trouble is the closest to the router. This computer also has the same problem sharing whether it’s connected to the router directly or through wireless. Also the connections always show full 54Mbps connection.

Sounds like its just signal problems. Nothing particularly weird. I actually just had my signal cutout when trying to click the quote button to reply. It happens, radio signals are subject to interference.

Now, the file sharing problem is different. That has nothing to do with the network connection. Thats something with either your configuration or MS's software, and I can't really say what the problem would be then, because I don't use windows.

It turns out i had to fix the problem by change the firewall settings in xp home. i added the ports available on my router to the allow list. everything works now.

as for the reception. I'm trying to elevate the router and the antenna. i think that may be causing problems. don't know if the wife will let me stick a router up on the wall with cables coming down from it.

thanks for the help.

1. Why is my wireless network not working?

There could be several reasons why your wireless network is not working. It could be due to a hardware issue, such as a faulty router or modem. It could also be caused by interference from other electronic devices, outdated firmware or drivers, or incorrect network settings. It's best to troubleshoot each potential cause to determine the exact reason for the issue.

2. How do I fix my wireless network?

The first step in fixing your wireless network is to restart your router and modem. If that doesn't work, check for any loose connections and make sure all devices are properly connected. You can also try updating the firmware and drivers for your router and device. If the issue persists, try changing the wireless channel on your router or resetting it to factory settings. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to contact your internet service provider for further assistance.

3. Why is my wireless network slow?

There are several factors that can contribute to a slow wireless network. It could be due to a weak signal, interference from other devices, or outdated firmware or drivers. It could also be a bandwidth issue if there are multiple devices connected to the network. Try moving closer to the router, minimizing interference, and updating firmware and drivers to improve speed. If the issue persists, contact your internet service provider to check for any network issues.

4. How do I improve the signal strength of my wireless network?

To improve the signal strength of your wireless network, try moving your router to a central location in your home or office. You can also adjust the antenna on your router for better coverage. Additionally, reducing interference from other devices and updating firmware and drivers can also help improve signal strength. If none of these solutions work, consider investing in a range extender or a mesh network system.

5. How do I secure my wireless network?

To secure your wireless network, you can enable WPA2 encryption on your router, which requires a password for anyone trying to connect. You should also change the default login credentials for your router to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, you can enable network firewalls and regularly update firmware to protect against any security vulnerabilities. It's also important to regularly change your Wi-Fi password to prevent unauthorized access to your network.